Gio Gonzalez going to be called up

maggsmaggs

Should be real interesting how he pitches considering the difference of opinions by Sox fans on him...

I think he will post an ERA between 4.50-5.00 with solid peripherals.

Gio Gonzalez's agent tells me that the left-hander has been called up, presumably to make Thursday's start here. Gonzalez, part of the Nick Swisher deal, has been terrific much of the last month, and there had been signals lately that the team wanted to get a look at the 22-year-old. The strongest: Team USA asked about Gonzalez's availability for the Olympics and the A's said they'd prefer to keep Gonzalez in the U.S. in case he was needed in Oakland.

So instead of Beijing, it's Toronto for Gonzalez.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate...;entry_id=28819

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
And he will probably shut us down in a week or so.

Ah crap forget that he could start against us. Haha, I can so see him destroying us. How funny, actually probably not, to see him strikeout Swisher in a big situation during the game? Maybe Sweeney will get a couple RBIs in that game, too.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Ah crap forget that he could start against us. Haha, I can so see him destroying us. How funny, actually probably not, to see him strikeout Swisher in a big situation during the game? Maybe Sweeney will get a couple RBIs in that game, too.

IMO we would be much better off having not made that trade and leaving Sweeney in CF.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
...tomorrow against the Jays.

I'm going to have to watch that... I love mlb.tv (when it's not malfunctioning).

A part of me wants him to succeed, but another part of me wants him to fail miserably so I don't feel bad that we gave him up for Swisher.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:13 AM)
I met the kid when he was in high school, and some of my friends in Miami know him pretty well. I can't wish anything but success for the guy.

It would have been sweet had he matched up with the Twins...at least until the last White Sox series, they were really struggling against LHP.

I think the odds are pretty high that both the Sox and Twins will face him sometime this month if he's able to stay in their rotation. Much easier to root him on against the hated Twinkies.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:13 AM)
I met the kid when he was in high school, and some of my friends in Miami know him pretty well. I can't wish anything but success for the guy.

He was the nicest guy who ever played for the Barons. He'd always shake your hand and ask how you were.

In his first ever start, Gio was exceptional today. a 1.00 WHIP...his control is still a bit of an issue, but it's not like he's old. Even with DLS blowing up his elbow, Oakland has to like their future (at least until they trade it all away again).

He settled in nicely. 4H 3R 3ER 2BB 4K in 6+. After allowing 3 hits in the first he held the Blue Jays hitless for the next 4 innings. A leadoff single in the 7th ended his night.

All in all a very nice debut for Gio against a horrible offensive ballclub.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:52 AM)
Final Line:

6 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

The Blue Jays might have the worst lineup in the American League, it's embarrassing. David f***ing Eckstein DH'd today. 1 hitter with a .760+ OPS (Lind) and a couple with sub .700's.

I can't believe the Giants were really considering trading Lincecum for Rios.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
I can't believe the Giants were really considering trading Lincecum for Rios.

It would have been the ultimate Sabean trade.

I can't get over how horrendous this Blue Jays lineup is.

.672 - 2B

.706 - DH

.757 - CF

.779 - 1B

.745 - C

.870 - LF (147 AB)

.774 - 3B

.669 - RF

.491 - SS

JP Riccardi should be forced to resign.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
he's sitting around 90, topping out at 91... I thought he had a bit more velocity than that. He's throwing his fastball too much, but that's because he keeps falling behind.

He has a lot of movement on his fastball and can move it around to get guys out. If he struggles as a starter, I think he would have a bright future as a setup man.