Gio Gonzalez going to be called up

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
He has a lot of movement on his fastball and can move it around to get guys out. If he struggles as a starter, I think he would have a bright future as a setup man.

From what I saw yesterday, his cruve is definitely worth the hype.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gio was my favorite Sox prospect twice, before and after the trade. I hope he does well, except against us. I still worry about his body and being able to pitch 200 innings consistently, but right now Lincecum is downing that stereotype of small guys pitching well and staying healthy -- so far. But I just have a hunch, Gio is gonna be a lot like Rich Harden (maybe not as filthy numbers wise) but a guy who when healthy is pretty damn good, but he just can't stay healthy.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
I think he will post an ERA between 4.50-5.00 with solid peripherals.

Who cares about peripherals in the Majors Leagues? People only use them in the minors because they can show dominance that will result in success in the next level.

I have a huge argument with a friend of mine that Gio is not gonna be any better than a 3 (and I've said worse things than that). He says he will pitch like an ace when on his game and at worst is gonna be a 2. We'll see...

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)
Who cares about peripherals in the Majors Leagues? People only use them in the minors because they can show dominance that will result in success in the next level.

I have a huge argument with a friend of mine that Gio is not gonna be any better than a 3 (and I've said worse things than that). He says he will pitch like an ace when on his game and at worst is gonna be a 2. We'll see...

That's true. Look at Vaz. Pretty good peripherals, but he sucks.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't think there is anyone in their right mind that would choose Swisher and Broadway over Sweeney and Gio right now. Gio would look awfully good filling in as the 5th starter for Contreras...

Yeah, Swisher hasn't helped us win any games so I'd rather have the guy on the DL in Sweeney. Gio, on the other hand, has 1 whole more start than Broadway in his MLB career. And in 1/3 of an inning less than Gio, Broadway has a .87 ERA compared to Gio's 4.09. Yeah, no one in their right mind.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Yeah, Swisher hasn't helped us win any games so I'd rather have the guy on the DL in Sweeney. Gio, on the other hand, has 1 whole more start than Broadway in his MLB career. And in 1/3 of an inning less than Gio, Broadway has a .87 ERA compared to Gio's 4.09. Yeah, no one in their right mind.

f*** yo couch

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I don't think there is anyone in their right mind that would choose Swisher and Broadway over Sweeney and Gio right now. Gio would look awfully good filling in as the 5th starter for Contreras...

I'd agree with you, but with the emphasis on the words 'right now'. Of course, 'right now' is awfully important.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
I'd agree with you, but with the emphasis on the words 'right now'. Of course, 'right now' is awfully important.

Well 'right now' Ryan Sweeney is on the DL and won't be back for at least 2 weeks, this is his 4th different injury of the season by the way. So you'd lose Swish but gain a 22 year old inexperienced lefty who's probably going to get maybe 7 or 8 starts the rest of the way and centerfield would have to be filled full time by Griffey, Anderson and Wise.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
Well 'right now' Ryan Sweeney is on the DL and won't be back for at least 2 weeks, this is his 4th different injury of the season by the way. So you'd lose Swish but gain a 22 year old inexperienced lefty who's probably going to get maybe 7 or 8 starts the rest of the way and centerfield would have to be filled full time by Griffey, Anderson and Wise.

Frankly...with the way Swisher has played this year, compared with how Anderson and Sweeney have played...I see where they're coming from...even with the injuries I think an Anderson/Sweeney platoon with Gio in AAA would have our roster looking better pre trade deadline than it does now with Swisher, although moving DLS while his value was high seems smart now.

To be fair, Gio has played 2 very poor offenses in his major league starts. I also like the attitude etc. that Swisher brings to the team although some find it overated. Next year and the rest of his contract Id hope Swisher performs better, everyone is capable of having a poor season.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)

You can cut your boner for Sweeney off any day now

and to answer your question, the Sox would look a hell of a lot better at this moment in time with Gio Gonzalez in the rotation rather than Lance Broadway (although I think Gio would get lit the f*** up in the Cell, he is a better option than Broadway). However, the Sox would be in 2nd place by about 5-6 games if they had Sweeney in CF all season rather than Nick Swisher, and the clubhouse wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. Furthermore, the Sox have Swisher nearly as long as the A's have Sweeney, and Swisher's a superior player to Sweeney, and KW has been one of the best GMs in baseball at finding starting pitchers who teams have either thrown to the way side or undervalue and has turned them into good starting pitchers (like 4 of the 5 starters in the White Sox rotation at the beginning of the year). I'm not worried about KW trying to find another starter in the least.

So, in my right mind as I'm completely sober and just getting ready for work, would gladly take Swisher and Broadway, and I have every reason in the world to justify such a decision.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)

Sweeney looks like he could have been our CF'er for a season or two, but when he moved to the corner, he becomes a soft hitting corner OF'er which usually means he's on the bench.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
You can cut your boner for Sweeney off any day now

and to answer your question, the Sox would look a hell of a lot better at this moment in time with Gio Gonzalez in the rotation rather than Lance Broadway (although I think Gio would get lit the f*** up in the Cell, he is a better option than Broadway). However, the Sox would be in 2nd place by about 5-6 games if they had Sweeney in CF all season rather than Nick Swisher, and the clubhouse wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. Furthermore, the Sox have Swisher nearly as long as the A's have Sweeney, and Swisher's a superior player to Sweeney, and KW has been one of the best GMs in baseball at finding starting pitchers who teams have either thrown to the way side or undervalue and has turned them into good starting pitchers (like 4 of the 5 starters in the White Sox rotation at the beginning of the year). I'm not worried about KW trying to find another starter in the least.

So, in my right mind as I'm completely sober and just getting ready for work, would gladly take Swisher and Broadway, and I have every reason in the world to justify such a decision.

Did you not see where I said "right now." Anyone can make the long term arguement. But right now, Gio would look damn good, due to the fact any blind person can see that he is the better pitcher then Broadway (even though he did pitch decent today). And with Paulie finally hitting again and Griffey in CF, Swisher is more of a side option right now.

Also, to say Swisher is a superior player then Sweeney is just plain ubsurd. You can make the arguement, but to state it as fact is crazy. You have a guy who has always been a decent but not great hitter (although he does walk a lot which makes him a god to some people) vs. a guy who has been hovering around .300 his rookie season and playing much better D with a lot of offensive potential.

And the "clubhouse" stuff is so very overrated. When he was on the A's being a "super grinder" and great clubhouse guy, that never won them a World Series title, let alone an American League Champion title. And if we had Sweeney in CF over Swisher all season, I have a hard time seeing how it would have made us worse off. Unless ofcourse you believe Swisher's pressence turned what look to be a very mediocre staff into an above average one.

And I love how you say I can cut off my boner for Sweeney anytime, when you are down on all fours for Swisher. It's no secret that I have always been a big Sweeney fan, but right now Gio is the guy we miss most from this deal as he would be a godsend right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Sweeney looks like he could have been our CF'er for a season or two, but when he moved to the corner, he becomes a soft hitting corner OF'er which usually means he's on the bench.

I am still a believer in that Sweeney will develop his power. Everyone knows he has it, he just doesn't seem to want to use it, yet.

Also, I hate the arguement that if you play a certain position you must hit for power.