I've got an awesome idea...

Steve9347

Let's trade for Ken Griffey, Jr. because Paul Konerko is struggling. He will fix our issues with Pauly's dead bat, and when we face lefties he can get a day off.

Oh wait, we did that, and that was the plan...

So what happened? Since the trade Konerko's played 4/5 games, while Griffey is in against lefties when we have Swish on the bench who is a switch hitter.

I just don't get it sometimes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:45 AM)
I've been asking in the chat why PK is starting, he's supposed to be riding pine with the acquisition of Griffey.

Also, Griffey is probably the worst CF in the league, or all of baseball. Perhaps he didn't feel like bending over to stop that ball from rolling past him on that triple.

Our defense has been bad enough this season. Griffey Jr. out there just makes it so much worse. DAllen's stat about balls in play for Cincy is crazy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Our defense has been bad enough this season. Griffey Jr. out there just makes it so much worse. DAllen's stat about balls in play for Cincy is crazy.

I didn't see that stat. It just feels like we're attempting to kill our chances.

A pitching staff that's been getting worse for the last month and a half? Put the worst defense possible in the OF.

Make a trade to put your worst offensive player on the bench? Start him anyway!

Need pitching more than anything at the deadline? f*** it, trade a reliever for a one-dimensional hitter.

Griffey was the last thing this team needed.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:50 AM)
I didn't see that stat. It just feels like we're attempting to kill our chances.

A pitching staff that's been getting worse for the last month and a half? Put the worst defense possible in the OF.

Make a trade to put your worst offensive player on the bench? Start him anyway!

Need pitching more than anything at the deadline? f*** it, trade a reliever for a one-dimensional hitter.

Griffey was the last thing this team needed.

How about the fact that it seems like KW had to make a trade to find a replacement for Swisher, who he gave up 3 of his top 5 prospects for? I never want to hear KW talk about not having "$1.00" to make trades.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
How about the fact that it seems like KW had to make a trade to find a replacement for Swisher, who he gave up 3 of his top 5 prospects for? I never want to hear KW talk about not having "$1.00" to make trades.

Well, since it was his idea to "go for it" again this year, when everyone else wanted to rebuild, then he should have some consequences if we fail to make the playoffs. We have nothing to build around in the minors.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)

To make things better, Gonzalez has finally found some control, and has been lights out lately. I don't think Gio will be a top of the line starter for years to come, but I think he will have a few really good seasons before his 30's.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:05 AM)
On top of it, with what Williams did last off-season, and the contracts that come off the books this off-season, I dont see ANY reason why a "rebuild" process has to happen next year.

Who comes off the books for the Sox after this season?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Lets just play worst case scenario for a second. Lets say this team just continues it's downward spiral, and misses the playoffs. Now this is the absoulte worst thing that can happen right now. If that were to happen, this was a team that was in first place in the month of August. Given that, should Williams really have done a rebuild project as you say everyone else wanted? Save the "Well if the team doesn't win the World Series the season is a failure posts", as thats not what I'm getting at. My math may be off, but I'm pretty sure right now no team in the Central can lead the division for more games than the Sox have this season. Is that really the type of team that needed to be "rebuilt"?

On top of it, with what Williams did last off-season, and the contracts that come off the books this off-season, I dont see ANY reason why a "rebuild" process has to happen next year.

Yes. I don't give a s*** who was leading the division the longest. If they don't win the division, it's honestly time to think about rebuilding. The old guys are just going to get older, and worse.

I'm not sure if we really need to "rebuild" as much as we need to get rid of some dead wood. We do have some promising young players to build around both in the field and on the mound but I do think that it's time to start getting younger. How many more seasons can Thome and Dye continue to hit like they have, Konerko has seemingly hit the wall and I'm just not sure what you're going to get on a nightly basis from Contreras and Vasquez. We don't need a total rebuild as much as we need a re-shuffling of a few players/positions