I've got an awesome idea...

Steve9347

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
I'm not sure if we really need to "rebuild" as much as we need to get rid of some dead wood. We do have some promising young players to build around both in the field and on the mound but I do think that it's time to start getting younger. How many more seasons can Thome and Dye continue to hit like they have, Konerko has seemingly hit the wall and I'm just not sure what you're going to get on a nightly basis from Contreras and Vasquez. We don't need a total rebuild as much as we need a re-shuffling of a few players/positions

Yes, we can deal with having a couple bad seasons to replace the old guys. Not a total rebuild from the ground up, but sacrifice a few seasons for the bigger gain.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see PK going anywhere. He is still on the books for 24 million, is the "team captain", and we would be trading him when his value was it's absolute lowest. I see LF, CF, RF, 1B, DH all being the same, as well as most of the pitching staff. I see a new 2B however who can leadoff (Figgins? Hudson?), Ramirez at SS, and Fields at 3B. Hopefully we could acquire someone like Chad Tracy from Arizona and have him play some 3B and 1B.

Is it possible that Griffey was also brought in to spell both Swisher and Konerko? Sending them both a message that "you guys have had 4 months to get your s*** together, and because you haven't, some of your at bats are being taken away by an over the hill, injury prone player who really hasn't done s*** this season but is still an upgrade from both of you." A bit of a wakeup call.

I think Konerko has 2 homers since the trade and Swisher just walked off. It might be working.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Or how about we play Griffey Jr. against LHP when he sucks against them while Anderson's been looking good at the plate?

Isn't BA better against RHP than LHP?

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
Isn't BA better against RHP than LHP?

BA hit this year for a decent average against RHP but no power really. Then he had a mini-slump, but at that point he started getting platooned with Wise and has only hit LHP since then. If I'm not mistaken all of his homers come against LHP but his average is hovering over .200

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
BA hit this year for a decent average against RHP but no power really. Then he had a mini-slump, but at that point he started getting platooned with Wise and has only hit LHP since then. If I'm not mistaken all of his homers come against LHP but his average is hovering over .200

Well I remember in the past he has certainly hit better against RHP.

Right now with Griffey and Swisher on the team, his role should be as a late inning defensive replacement, and the occasional start here and there.

Swisher may have had a bad year, but he has 16HR's now and a fairly decent OBP, so he'll still offer you something on that front.

And I mean Griffey had been swinging the bat well in his 1st couple of games for us. I can't really see the harm of seeing if that would continue for 1 game at home no matter what type of pitcher he was facing.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
Well I remember in the past he has certainly hit better against RHP.

Right now with Griffey and Swisher on the team, his role should be as a late inning defensive replacement, and the occasional start here and there.

Swisher may have had a bad year, but he has 16HR's now and a fairly decent OBP, so he'll still offer you something on that front.

And I mean Griffey had been swinging the bat well in his 1st couple of games for us. I can't really see the harm of seeing if that would continue for 1 game at home no matter what type of pitcher he was facing.

Junior is batting .308 for the Sox right now, all singles, albeit only in a handful of games. No reason really to trash him right now.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
Junior is batting .308 for the Sox right now, all singles, albeit only in a handful of games. No reason really to trash him right now.

I'll be ecstatic if he can hit over .300 for us, and he doesn't even have to give us much power, because we've got enough of those type of hitters already.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)

His defense? He literally allowed a triple yesterday because he couldn't bend over. His defense is going to be atrocious. And he offers only the occasional homer.

Alright, it was kind of cool to watch Griffey in my favorite team's uniform but the centerfield experiment really has to end. He just doesn't have the legs to field, and he can't hit fastballs anymore by most scouts' reckoning. There will be games when he gets lucky, but he doesn't need to be embarrassing himself by letting balls get by him for triples all day.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
His defense? He literally allowed a triple yesterday because he couldn't bend over. His defense is going to be atrocious. And he offers only the occasional homer.

I'm not talking about his fielding, yes it is terrible. Hell I would rather have Quentin in CF than Griffey.

This is someting I never thought I'd be saying btw, especially 10 years ago considering Griffey was basically Willie Mays in CF.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Need pitching more than anything at the deadline? f*** it, trade a reliever for a one-dimensional hitter.

Nick Masset was a part of the problem, getting rid of him at worst was addition by subtraction. It's also unfair to call Griffey a one-dimensional hitter, seeing as all of his hits have been singles since he has become a Sox. You'll see before long some of that intestinal fortitude that made him a hall of famer.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Yes, we can deal with having a couple bad seasons to replace the old guys. Not a total rebuild from the ground up, but sacrifice a few seasons for the bigger gain.

Oh, I can't wait to see this board if KW allows this team to have a couple of down season's. Under his watch they have won a world series and only had one losing season and many on this board screams about how awful he is.

Most people here tend to forget the decades of losing for the Sox and don't realize how good they've been lately.

this really is a "what have you done for me today board."

All that being said it is some of the most entertaining reading around...we going to the series....we suck....KW was good to CQ....KW sucks......we suck.....we're going to the series!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
Ive got an awesome idea, the Sox should start Griffey the first game he plays in Chicago regardless of pitcher because thats who the fans want to see.

;)

Some times the business of baseball isnt the same as winning in baseball.

Nate Rovertson is a lefthander, but a really bad lefthander.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:20 AM)

considering we have a first-place team and people are constantly pissing and moaning about our flaws i have a hard time envisioning a scenario where fans in general just sit happily by as we run a crap team of youngsters out to the field every day.

the idea of tearing down and rebuilding sounds great. but what are the guarantees in that? in the mid to late 90s the white sox had one of the best farm systems in all of baseball. what did it ever allow the big club to accomplish?

personally i'm going to enjoy watching my favorite team in a pennant race rather than pining for a day when they're selling me hope again.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Nick Masset was a part of the problem, getting rid of him at worst was addition by subtraction. It's also unfair to call Griffey a one-dimensional hitter, seeing as all of his hits have been singles since he has become a Sox. You'll see before long some of that intestinal fortitude that made him a hall of famer.

He can't hit for average anymore, can't run too hard or he'll injure himself, and he can't defend. He'll give you the occasional homer. In that sense, he's pretty one-dimensional. I guess you can say two-dimensional, as he can still draw a walk. The guy is a shell of his former self. I refuse to overlook his flaws because he used to be great.

And again, to Masset. I wasn't necessarily pointing out the loss of Masset, but the fact that we traded from a weakness (which we should have addressed) to add to the team's current strong point.

To ptatc and thedoctor, agree to disagree. I am more a believer that, with the age of our players and lack of depth in our farm system, we should look to rebuild if we don't find the promised land again this year. I felt this way last year, and so far it seems like I was definitely wrong. But, the team is definitely getting older and I don't see that solving itself. Sooner or later it will probably have to be done, and that might just be my own opinion. And again, let me clarify that I'm not talking about a total rebuild, but more of sacrificing a couple of years to dump the older players, replace them with younger guys that may need some time to adjust, and keep the young guys we already have (Buehrle, Jenks, Quentin, Ramirez, Swisher, etc.).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
To ptatc and thedoctor, agree to disagree. I am more a believer that, with the age of our players and lack of depth in our farm system, we should look to rebuild if we don't find the promised land again this year. I felt this way last year, and so far it seems like I was definitely wrong. But, the team is definitely getting older and I don't see that solving itself. Sooner or later it will probably have to be done, and that might just be my own opinion. And again, let me clarify that I'm not talking about a total rebuild, but more of sacrificing a couple of years to dump the older players, replace them with younger guys that may need some time to adjust, and keep the young guys we already have (Buehrle, Jenks, Quentin, Ramirez, Swisher, etc.).

Which of the "old guys" are you going to dump, and how are you going to do it? And how will you justify dumping Jermaine Dye?