8/05 Games

bighurt4life

Going backwards today

Bristol v Elizabethtown

Vargas 4-5 2hr 3 rbi

Silverio 1-4 1k (this is his standard stat line over the past month since his hot start)

Kendall 2-5 2B hitting .336 in first pro season

Great Falls v Missoula

Estill 1-2 HR 2R BB K Lots of K's and BB's for Estill in his second season at GF. His average is finally above the Mendoza line after a terrible start

Celis 3-3 2 2B 2RBI. He's from our DSL 2 team, having a good first season in the states. has great plate discipline which seems to be fairly common for DSL players (at least our dsl players)

Hudson 5IP 0R 4BB 7K. He's got great peripherals so far, I'd like to know what kind of stuff he has.

Kannapolis v Hagerstown

Escobar 0-5 3k -in a bit of a slump lately

Morel 2-5 3B 3RBI only his 3rd extra base hit at Kanny

Marrero 2-2 2B HR 2RBI 2BB. He's hit well in two pro seasons after being a free agent signing

W-S v Wilmington

Hernandez 2-3 HR. He's a switch hitting catcher with more BB than K's and a good OBP

Carter 4IP 4ER 3BB 1K. gets the loss, been struggling in his first go round at high-a

Birmingham v Chatanooga

Harrell and O'Malley combine to go 5.1ip 12R 6ER 16 hits 3BB

Gartrell 3-4 2B

Allen 0-2 BB- more BB than K's in AA, good sign of progress for him

Cruz 3-4 2HR 4RBI

Charlotte v Syracuse

Owens 1-4

Getz 1-4

Eldred 2-4

Huffman 1-4 HR

Francisco Hernandez seems more of a back-up catcher than a starter now. He was once considered a possible all-star starter after he had a great minor league debut, but now he has regressed a bit. His defense and lack of hitting make him a solid back-up in the future. Hopefully, he surprises and developes in the next couple years kinda of like Geo Soto (although i don't know how natural that was).

Nice to see Hudson with another great outing, he is my AAP (which I need to make now that I am off of suspension). I think within the next year or two he will be one of our top prospects. From watching his scouting video when we drafted him, he has a plus fastball which sits in the lower-mid 90's with excellent movement. I don't know much about his other stuff, but from judging by his numbers so far this season, I'd say they have some potential.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Nice to see Hudson with another great outing, he is my AAP (which I need to make now that I am off of suspension). I think within the next year or two he will be one of our top prospects. From watching his scouting video when we drafted him, he has a plus fastball which sits in the lower-mid 90's with excellent movement. I don't know much about his other stuff, but from judging by his numbers so far this season, I'd say they have some potential.

now I remember watching his video. his fastball has crazy tailing action at the very end, it seemed to move a good 8-12 inches in the last 15 feet or so

Not to nitpick, but for informational purposes... Marrero was a draft and follow, which is probably why they list him as a free agent signing. We took him in the 23rd round, I believe, after his freshman year in CC, and then signed him after he did well his sophomore year.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Not to nitpick, but for informational purposes... Marrero was a draft and follow, which is probably why they list him as a free agent signing. We took him in the 23rd round, I believe, after his freshman year in CC, and then signed him after he did well his sophomore year.

Well, he is putting up better numbers than his brother Chris is...

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
hey JPN, what's Jon Link's stuff like?

I wouldn't say it's impressive, but it is effective. 29 saves out of about 34 or 35 chances. It's really hard to pin it down. 92-94 fastball, not certain about his offspeed pitch, maybe a changeup. 91 to 92 cutter or 2 seamer seems to be his bread and butter. He must be good at deceiving hitters, because he doesn't seem like he's blowing guys away. He gets a lot of his strikeouts with diving offspeed pitches set up by the fastball or cutter. His pitching motion may be part of his deceptiveness. It's a quick motion with a chest high straight leg kick with his glove and the ball held parallel to his head at the same time. If that makes sense.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Well, he is putting up better numbers than his brother Chris is...

Christopher may have worse numbers this year, but that's b/c he's 2 years younger and a level higher than Christian. For the record, he did have better #'s last year in Low-A than Christian does this year in Low-A. But, that's to be expected as Christopher was a 1st round pick.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
Hudson 5IP 0R 4BB 7K. He's got great peripherals so far, I'd like to know what kind of stuff he has.

Saberscoiting did a report on him:

Dan Hudson, RHP, Harwich Mariners (Old Dominion)

Pitch - Present/Future Grades

Fastball - 45/50

Slider - 60/60

Curveball - 35/35

Changeup - 45/45

Command - 50/50

Physical Description - Extra large, thick frame. Definitely some projection left, has room to muscle up his lower half. Physically mature with wide shoulders and long arms.

Fastball - 87-89 MPH, reportedly was throwing a couple ticks harder. Looked uncomfortable in outings attended. Not overpowering in this effort but late life allows him to still miss bats. Must work ahead, however, because his pure velocity isn’t enough to beat hitters inside. Doesn’t hold velocity in mid-late innings. Looks like a future reliever.

Slider - Hard, 75-77 MPH breaking ball. A legitimate plus pitch, throws with conviction and can spot it in just about any count. Relies heavily on it. True slider with hard, tight, two plane break. Devastating against righties. Sometimes falls in love with it, hitters appear to sit on it. Must develop some complimentary pitches. Plus pitch.

Curveball - Slow 72-75 MPH curveball. Telegraphs it. Changes arm angle to a more over the top slight, giving it away very quickly. Lacks snap and hangs it up in the zone. Not confident in this pitch. Not an effective pitch, should consider bagging it.

Changeup - 76-78, lacks feel for this pitch. Good fade due to arm angle but can’t throw it for strikes. Only uses it when he’s way ahead and buries it. Needs this pitch versus lefties. Often turns it over.

Mechanics - Has a lot of flaws. Doesn’t drive towards the plate. Spins off his front foot towards first base. Very deceptive on righties but his changing arm angles on breaking pitches makes him very inconsistent in terms of command. Weight rushes towards home plate. Pitches from a low-3/4 arm angle. Very deceptive. Not a clean arm motion, arm straightens out far behind his back. Doesn’t use lower half, could be a serious injury risk. Extra quick arm.

Notes - Tough on righties but struggles versus lefties. Needs an improved changeup or another weapon to be an effective starter. Works quickly, probably too quickly. Has mechanical flaws, if fixed, could greatly improve velocity. Definite upside. Good all around athlete. Needs to change speeds more. More of a thrower right now with some plus stuff, must become more of a pitcher.

Adjusted Overall Future Potential: 51

Present Group: P, Future Group: D

Projected Role: Middle Reliever

Draft Projection: 5th-6th round pick

Overall Comparison: Paul Quantrill (taller version)