Reasons for optimism...?

caulfield12

Well, the last two night have been pretty amazing for AL Central watching...

I was wondering about Perkins and Blackburn and whether they were close to "hitting the wall," as some Twins' fans mentioned that Perkins should have been removed after the 6th inning Monday night, even though his PC was in the 80's.

Gardenhire was ripped for bringing in Brian Bass and Craig Breslow to cut off the bleeding after Ibanez's GS (thanks for NOT trading him, idiots!)

The Twins are REALLY in serious trouble in their middle relief and set-up men, just like the White Sox...they had to go to Nathan in the 8th, and it backfired on Gardenhire when J. Lopez had a huge two run double to give them back the lead, with Putz barely getting the save.

Bass, Bonser and Breslow have each sunken to Boone Logan/Wasserman status...Guerrier is close to leading the majors in apperances and Crain's body language really is negative every time I see him out there. Reyes is still effective, but not for more than a few batters. If Linebrink comes back, we have a DECIDED advantage over the Twins' bullpen down the stretch. At home, Twins relievers have a 2.11 ERA. On the road: 6.19...worst in the AL on the road, best at home. Interesting.

Back to the rotation.

Perkins (2005-07 IP) 134, 118.3, 48 THIS YEAR=123.6

Blackburn (2005-07 IP) 146.6, 132, 160 THIS YEAR=127

Both of these guys have about ten starts to go, so that's going to be a lot of "pennant" stress on those arms.

Conservatively, Perkins would end the season at around 175 IP and Blackburn around 180, both numbers well over their recent career trajectories.

I don't think Slowey is AS MUCH of a concern since he's not a power pitcher, anything could happen with Liriano and Baker seems to be very durable.

At any rate, I really think it will come down to the pitching...if the Twins beat us, that will be the main reason. If they can beat our veterans, along with Danks and Floyd, with their "no-name" rotation (not counting The Franchise), then you have to tip your hats to them.

It remains to be seen how much the collapses Monday and Tuesday night will affect the Twins' psyche.

They have 28 of their next 43 games on the road (18 of their next 27), while the Sox have the much tougher schedule (although more of those "tough" games are at home, where we're decidedly a better team).

Edited by caulfield12

I'd say the biggest reason for optimism tonight was that the Sox bullpen pitched 10 innings and the team won. This game had a Tigers blowout written all over it.

That said, it would be nice if tomorrow's game doesn't go into extras and it'd be super nice if Danks could pitch about 7 or so innings, letting Dotel set up and Jenks shut it down.

Sure there's reason for optimism and great opening post, but the Twinks are so good at home you gotta figure they'll win a massive majority of those home games. We're simply going to have to play great baseball and obviously suck it up when we go to Minnie the next time. One at a time baby. C'mon Sox you have a good season going, make it a great one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:52 AM)
Sure there's reason for optimism and great opening post, but the Twinks are so good at home you gotta figure they'll win a massive majority of those home games. We're simply going to have to play great baseball and obviously suck it up when we go to Minnie the next time. One at a time baby. C'mon Sox you have a good season going, make it a great one.

I guess this game was reminiscent of the NCAA Championship game for the Jayhawks...going back and forth, you turn on the computer, refresh, and....poof, Swisher hits a bomb at about the same time that Nathan's improbably giving up the lead to the Mariners.

Sometimes you just "feel" a comeback is on....Renteria's error when Santiago probably should have been in to replace him defensively...Zumaya's lack of ability to throw anything but the fastball (slower and with less movement than before his injury) over the meat of the plate.

I was almost shocked when the Twins DIDN'T get a hit down by one with the bases loaded in the top of the 9th. If Redmond was hitting against Buerhle, I would have turned the game off and went to sleep and just hoped he got him out.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
Right now it's pretty simple. If the Sox take care of their s*** at home, they should find a way to squeak into the playoffs. They are on a 10 game homestand, right now, they are 1-0. I expect them to 8-2. I will be ok with 7-3.

Realistically, looking at the pitching and bullpen and defense, I'm hoping for 2/3 against the Tigers and Royals and a split with the Red Sox. I would take 6-4, 7-3 and a sweep of the Royals would be sweet revenge.

One thing is for certain, the White Sox are going to be ready for the Royals on Tuesday night, like they haven't been over the last 3 seasons or so (on a consistent basis). Maybe that brawl and beanball war were enough to wake them up from their 2-6 stupor.

It could also be that they found out what it's like to not be in first place for a day and realized that it sucked. Perhaps they do play with a chip on their shoulder. Perhaps Ozzie deflecting the blame is what it is. Perhaps it's being at home. Whatever the case, I could honestly see them having one of their longest winning streaks in a good long while coming up. They'll lose tomorrow just to smite me, but I could very well see this team playing well for a good long while (as I have predicted elsewhere).

One thing is for certain...they apparently didn't want to just give up and pack it in tonight in a 14 inning affair after clawing their way back to tie it up, so I can't see them suddenly just going cold again. This was a game that feels like a streak is about to happen.