2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an underrated Olympian (in terms of hotness) is swimmer Natalie Coughlin. They did a piece on her and showed her at home and out of the pool in normal clothes and makeup and she looked good. She's not a knockout, but a nice looking girl.

I also think Jessica Mendoza is attractive. I look up her pictures on the net and none of them look good. But she did some announcing on ESPN (Women's CWS maybe?) with John Kruk and I thought she looked good. Again, I am not talking magazine spread hotness, but an attractive girl.

If Shawn Johnson was older we could talk about her, but for now, we'll just say she's a really cute kid.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Coughlin is definitely attractive. Johnson has normal sized teeth in a smaller body, looks weird.

I just saw the high bar performance from Horton. I hate to be wine about it, but I think he got robbed. The Chinese guy had a great performance, but Horton's blew me away.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Coughlin is definitely attractive. Johnson has normal sized teeth in a smaller body, looks weird.

I just saw the high bar performance from Horton. I hate to be wine about it, but I think he got robbed. The Chinese guy had a great performance, but Horton's blew me away.

But he isn't as good as Sarah Shire on the bars ;) Haha. Johnson is cute, IMO. Luikin is kinda hot at times. But Coughlin is pretty good. My favorite though was LoLo Jones who when not sprinting looked pretty damn good.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
I think an underrated Olympian (in terms of hotness) is swimmer Natalie Coughlin. They did a piece on her and showed her at home and out of the pool in normal clothes and makeup and she looked good. She's not a knockout, but a nice looking girl.

I also think Jessica Mendoza is attractive. I look up her pictures on the net and none of them look good. But she did some announcing on ESPN (Women's CWS maybe?) with John Kruk and I thought she looked good. Again, I am not talking magazine spread hotness, but an attractive girl.

If Shawn Johnson was older we could talk about her, but for now, we'll just say she's a really cute kid.

Cat Osterman, when she has her hair down and isn't grimacing to throw a pitch, is pretty cute.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
It's such a disgrace that they didn't show the 100m and 200m live. I finally got the chance to watch some USA basketball this morning, and thought it was really cool to see Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Wade on the court at the same time.

The Australians had no chance. Pass-Pass-Pass, 3 pointer. USA put a clinic on them

The United States male volleyball team erases 1 to 0 and 2 to 1 game deficits to win 3-2 over Serbia in the tiebreaker and advance to the semifinals. The women's volleyball team won in almost identical fashion over Italy yesterday to advance to the semifinals as well. The women's water polo team is already in the finals, and the men's water polo team plays Serbia (seems like quite a few battles between those two nations in the olympics) in the semifinals. The beach volleyball finals on the men's and women's sides both have U.S. teams in it too. The U.S. softball team is in the finals after an extra inning win last night, and the U.S. baseball team plays Cuba in the semifinals. The men's and women's basketball teams are in the semifinals as well obviously.

As for Usain Bolt, wow. Even by his lofty standards, wow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm just happy the gymnastic commentators and their whining are cries of we got jobbed by the rules or judges are off the air. They were a bad American syerotype personified. I could do without Lukin and her attitude as well, Johnson and the other one who fouled up were great though.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
I'm just happy the gymnastic commentators and their whining are cries of we got jobbed by the rules or judges are off the air. They were a bad American syerotype personified. I could do without Lukin and her attitude as well, Johnson and the other one who fouled up were great though.

I'm really not liking how Yahoo puts up blogs about things like "the real, unbiased medal count" on the front page, and all of this is getting so much attention. It makes us as Americans look bad, like a bunch of whiny sore losers, and that is usually reflected in the comments section. Was some of the scoring unfair? yeah, probably. We could handle it with a little more class though.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
The Australians had no chance. Pass-Pass-Pass, 3 pointer. USA put a clinic on them

I think we were only down by 12 or so, and then Bogut hurt his ankle again, and we were done.

I would have liked to see how we would have done if he was on the court in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
I think we were only down by 12 or so, and then Bogut hurt his ankle again, and we were done.

I would have liked to see how we would have done if he was on the court in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure how much it would have mattered, team U.S.A. has shown throughout the olympics that they start slow, but eventually blow away the good teams they play like Australia.

As for the U.S.A. whining, it bothers me too. The refs/officials are always going to favor the home team, that is just how it is, and you have to overcome it. The tiebreaker system was stupid, but that's the IOC's fault and not the judges. The one problem was that girl from China landing on her knees and still getting a bronze medal, that's horrible. But besides that, sports aren't fair sometimes and you just have to live with it.

For all the commentators and blogger whining, I am really impressed our gymnasts kept the high road. I never heard them saying the judging was unfair or that the Chinese girls didn't deserve what they got. It was also nice to see the Chinese congratulating Johnson after the beam competition.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)
The United States male volleyball team erases 1 to 0 and 2 to 1 game deficits to win 3-2 over Serbia in the tiebreaker and advance to the semifinals. The women's volleyball team won in almost identical fashion over Italy yesterday to advance to the semifinals as well. The women's water polo team is already in the finals, and the men's water polo team plays Serbia (seems like quite a few battles between those two nations in the olympics) in the semifinals. The beach volleyball finals on the men's and women's sides both have U.S. teams in it too. The U.S. softball team is in the finals after an extra inning win last night, and the U.S. baseball team plays Cuba in the semifinals. The men's and women's basketball teams are in the semifinals as well obviously.

As for Usain Bolt, wow. Even by his lofty standards, wow.

Hehehe.

Did anyone see that women's 200 semifinal womens with that woman from Bahrain? She was dressed in a full body suit with a hood to respect muslim modesty. It was weird; I've never seen it before. It was almost like one of those spoof commercials where someone or something that doesn't belong is spliced into a video of a real athletic event. I felt kind of sad for her, but wondered if I should. Maybe she is happy to follow the custom, I don't know. It was just odd. Too bad she didn't advance, I couldn't help rooting for her.

SFF

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 04:46 AM)
Wow. May was a surgeon and Walsh was a monster out there! Great match in the rain for gold.

SFF

i agree it was a good match but at the same time i was getting really sick of seeing volleyball on NBC. Thank God it's over.....