2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
Anyone see on the post-match interview May mouth "Call me later," to someone in the stands. Who wants odds on it being Jason Kidd? Haha, that whole story is slightly sketchy. Kidd is divorced, May idolized him. Just sayin'.

Matt Treanor is back at home, waiting with a bat for Jason Kidd's first trip to play the Heat this season. Either that, or Matty is cheating on her back home and Misty is following suit and neither cares.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
You sons of b****es. I'm on extra tape delay out here and I stumbled into this thread only to get the volleyball ruined. Damn it.

Kinda reminds me of a certain hockey game I was watching in 1980, when I got a call from my then father-in-law and he says, "Hey, did you hear we beat the Russians?" I literally screamed after hanging up the phone.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:31 AM)
Wow, the U.S. softball team lost in the gold medal game. Huh.

Thats crazy, especially with the way they dominated. Before their extra inning semifinal win against Japan, they had outscored teams like 105-2 in the past two olympics. Thats crazy. Guess if theres any sport where its such a dominating team could suddenly lose one game, it would be baseball/softball...

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
As Costas was signing off on the NBC primetime coverage last night, he said that May/Walsh had the most impressive performance of the day in the Olympics. What a joke....I'd say that 19.30 seconds says otherwise.

His two races are the most impressive thing of the whole Olympics as far as I am concerned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
His two races are the most impressive thing of the whole Olympics as far as I am concerned.

Agreed...pure domination in events that aren't supposed to be won by that much. He made every other sprinter look terrible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
Thats crazy, especially with the way they dominated. Before their extra inning semifinal win against Japan, they had outscored teams like 105-2 in the past two olympics. Thats crazy. Guess if theres any sport where its such a dominating team could suddenly lose one game, it would be baseball/softball...

Nothing really to do but give Japan props, they deserve it. If you manage to beat the absolute juggernaut of a team in the Americans that has zero weaknesses anywhere, you've earned it. But if you are the US ladies, that really has to sting... you know you're the best, and when it was all on the line, for some reason you just couldn't deliver, and you have no idea if you'll get a second chance.

The United States women beat Brazil 1-0 in extra time to win the gold medal. Considering Brazil beat the United States 4-0 in the women's World Cup semifinals just under a year ago, this could be certainly be considered an upset. The U.S. women's water polo team lost 9-8 to the Dutch in the gold medal match, but the U.S. women's volleyball team crushed Cuba to advance to the gold medal game. Finally, in a development that surprises nobody, U.S.A. vs. Australia will be the gold medal game in women's basketball. Lots of track and field on NBC tonight, but I am going to be nice and not post the spoilers.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
May and Walsh didnt even lose a set, thats pretty damn impressive to me. I dont think they even lost a set in the last Olympics either, dominating a sport like that is more impressive than running in a straight line in my opinion.

Obviously its apples and oranges but watching that volleyball match...we have all probably tried to play volleyball and if you are like me you know how hard it is to even bump the thing straight, even its just dropped on your forearms. Then I look at these ladies - they were just mechanical, every set and bump went precisely where it was supposed to go, like clockwork. And this is on hard serves as well. And in the wind and rain last night. Its freaking magic I tell you. That was more impressive to me than the sprints. Now, relative to the competition, I would have to say Bolts handling of his opponents was certainly more impressive than May/Walsh's handling of theirs so I guess its all how you look at it.

SFF

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
May and Walsh didnt even lose a set, thats pretty damn impressive to me. I dont think they even lost a set in the last Olympics either, dominating a sport like that is more impressive than running in a straight line in my opinion.

When you win a 200 meter race by half a second, that is the very definition of dominance. When you can set a world record after running full effort at only about 80% of a race, you don't get much more dominant than that. Not that May and Walsh aren't incredible, but this was epic in events that the entire world participates in, not to mention has a long and proud history.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)

Everybody in the world runs. To dominate that is more impressive to me then dominating a seldom played sport.(fastest person in the world vs. best sand volleyball tandem) I am impressed with May/Walsh but BOLT is far and away more impressive to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
As Costas was signing off on the NBC primetime coverage last night, he said that May/Walsh had the most impressive performance of the day in the Olympics. What a joke....I'd say that 19.30 seconds says otherwise.

I agree. There was nothing more impressive in the Olympics than that. A guy that tall and can get out of the blocks the way he does and with that speed. Unbelieveable.

I would love to see him run the 400. That stride would really give him an advantage.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
I agree. There was nothing more impressive in the Olympics than that. A guy that tall and can get out of the blocks the way he does and with that speed. Unbelieveable.

I would love to see him run the 400. That stride would really give him an advantage.

I'd bet he could go sub 45 with zero training. He is built for the 400, or even better the 400 hurdles.

Definitely Bolt. Mixed with the fact that I have trouble taking Beach Volleyball seriously as an Olympic sport. Lets ditch baseball and softball but keep Beach Volleyball. Maybe Frankie Avalon can make an appearance.