2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
If you actually break down Bolt's 200M time of 19.30, he ran an average of 3.53 40 time.

1 meter = 1.09361 yards.

200 meters x 1.09361 yards = 218.722 yards

40 yards / 218.722 = .18288

.18288 * 19.30 = 3.5294

Now my head hurts.

The problem with that of course is that it assumes he instantly goes from 0 mph to his average speed throughout. That's just not how it works. The startup is going to be the slowest part, as there is time spent taking the body from 0 to whatever its max speed is, so you'd have to use some sort of acceleration curve to actually come up with his 40 time. Or just go to the video and figure out roughly where the 40 yard mark would be.

Well the men's volleyball team does what the women's team couldn't, beating Brazil and taking the gold medal, hopefully it's a similar story with the men's water polo team, as they'll look to do what the women couldn't in that sport and win the gold. The men's basketball team will look to follow suit with the women and take the gold medal as well, and the baseball team won bronze about 24 hours ago after the softball team unfortunately had to settle for silver. It seems like the team sports squads for the United States have done well in Beijing though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Well you tend to worry about three things with a great basketball team: how will they react to their first close game, what if what they do best isn't there during a game, and what if the other team shoots the lights out. The United States ran into all three of these things in the same game, and it happened to be the gold medal game against a very good team, and they still managed to win. So they deserve a ton of credit and certainly winning the gold medal is a great accomplishment.

They didn't play well at all defensively, but they just did everything they could on offense to overshadow it, and this is not a game they'd win without the continuity of being together the last few years during the summer. Hopefully we continue to improve at the international game now that we seem to care.

I think this tournament proved that we still are that much better than MOST of the world, but a couple places are very good now and waiting to take us down (Spain and Argentina), and a couple more are very solid and can scare us if we aren't paying attention (Lithuania and Greece). The world is only going to get better though because this is such a huge sport worldwide, and places like Australia and China will improve, so the United States can't let it's guard down.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Well you tend to worry about three things with a great basketball team: how will they react to their first close game, what if what they do best isn't there during a game, and what if the other team shoots the lights out. The United States ran into all three of these things in the same game, and it happened to be the gold medal game against a very good team, and they still managed to win. So they deserve a ton of credit and certainly winning the gold medal is a great accomplishment.

They didn't play well at all defensively, but they just did everything they could on offense to overshadow it, and this is not a game they'd win without the continuity of being together the last few years during the summer. Hopefully we continue to improve at the international game now that we seem to care.

I think this tournament proved that we still are that much better than MOST of the world, but a couple places are very good now and waiting to take us down (Spain and Argentina), and a couple more are very solid and can scare us if we aren't paying attention (Lithuania and Greece). The world is only going to get better though because this is such a huge sport worldwide, and places like Australia and China will improve, so the United States can't let it's guard down.

This looked like the All-Star game at some points. The international game is so much faster than the NBA. Looks like the United States finally learned how to play it.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
He either whiffed or has extremely weak kicks, because it had no effect on the ref other than startling him.

He split the refs lip open. You are seeing the follow through

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
This looked like the All-Star game at some points. The international game is so much faster than the NBA. Looks like the United States finally learned how to play it.

I'm not a fan of the trapezoid lane or the fact that the three point line is close enough that I could make open shots from it, but the pace of FIBA basketball is much better than the NBA. Fast paced basketball is the way the game was meant to be played, I wish the Suns would have won an NBA title in the D'Antoni era so that more NBA teams would have copied them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
I would say more of a salvaged night after those baton drops. The commentators ripped the US coaching/mgmt up and down after that. Right before I was telling my wife whomever is coaching the team needs to get their act together in the next four years. It used to be an automatic two or three medals in any of the sprint races in the past. Granted the rise of teams like Jamaica has closed that gap but dropping batons, stepping on lane lines, etc. as often as we have seen seems more than just bad luck. I would have never guessed we would lead the medal race with the drop in track and swimming success. Not that the olympics should be about medal counts, but the US is fortunate now that Russia and China are now splitting the medal haul in the artsy-judgy type events.

SFF

To top it off, the mens handoff was just horrible. The runner coming in tried to hand over the top, while the guy about to go had his hand open for a under hand-off. They weren't even on the same page. You practice that a million times, I am not quite sure how THAT type of gaffe happens.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
Okay, it has to be asked. Who impressed your more at the time they happened: Bolt at these olympics or Michael Johnson in 1996?

SFF

Wow. That is a tough one. I give it to Johnson by a nose because I consider the 400 tougher than the 100. As for their impacts and total domination, I don't know that you could give one guy a leg up over the other. As a matter of a fact, I compared Bolt's domination to Johnson when his races happened.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
Okay, it has to be asked. Who impressed your more at the time they happened: Bolt at these olympics or Michael Johnson in 1996?

SFF

Bolt. Johnson's 96 performance was still absolutely outrageously great, but this was a bit more. Bolt broke the WR in both his events, and one of them he didnt even look like he was trying. Johnson didnt break the WR in one of his 2 individual events.

Bolt also had that great relay leg while Johnson due to injury didnt even run on his team relay for the final.