2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

The U.S. basketball team systematically destroyed Greece this morning, 92-69. Greece simply couldn't handle the American defensive pressure or athletic ability. The U.S. only finished I believe 7 for 20 on three pointers (although that's an improvement), but they were just so dominant that it didn't matter much. Next is their toughest test of the prelims, Spain.

As for the "fake" play by play thing, it's been going on for several years now. It's a good way to save money, and the technology of HDTV makes it possible to do. I don't think it's a big deal.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
I'm sure you could have a friend back in Serbia hook up a slingbox or watch the Serbian channel that covers the Olympics through your satellite... since this American media is just so terrible. You know, the American media you digest 24 hours a day. Better shut that TV off right now, actually, because that American media is about to cover this White Sox game. That American Ken Harrelson is such a homer too.

Face it, you live in America, the media is going to be biased toward the home country. The only person who can stop the ingestion of the terrible American media is you, by turning off the tv, not logging into soxtalk, not going to American Website... not doing all the American things you like to do in this country.

This doesn't mean I love you any less, but I'm tired of you complaining about America in this thread with nothing to back it up.

I never said American media. And my complaining about these crap stories and s***ty coverage is only as bad as your complaints about the ceremony and the age issue of the Chinese gymnasts. Sorry for wanting fair, diverse coverage of all good stories throughout the game instead of just what time Michael Phelps takes a dump every day.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
I never said American media. And my complaining about these crap stories and s***ty coverage is only as bad as your complaints about the ceremony and the age issue of the Chinese gymnasts. Sorry for wanting fair, diverse coverage of all good stories throughout the game instead of just what time Michael Phelps takes a dump every day.

Crap stories and s***ty coverage is the way the media has covered sports as long as I can remember. It's sad, but all you can do is enjoy the athletic events and ignore the media. We as White Sox fans living in Chicago and dealing with the Cubsessed media should know that more than anybody.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
Crap stories and s***ty coverage is the way the media has covered sports as long as I can remember. It's sad, but all you can do is enjoy the athletic events and ignore the media. We as White Sox fans living in Chicago and dealing with the Cubsessed media should know that more than anybody.

I see your point with the Cubs/Sox comparison, but that pales into comparison with the Olympics. It's the single greatest sporting event in the world. I have yet to see ANY coverage on soccer, very little on water polo, nothing on handball, and numerous other sports. But I suppose as long as Michael Phelps, Misty May, Kerri Walsh, and Johnathan Horton are competing...it's much more important than anything else.

In other news, Federer was upset today by James Black. Djokovic advances in 3 sets vs Monfils, and Nadal takes care of some Austrian. The semifinals are set:

Blake (US) vs Gonzalez (CHI)

Djokovic (SRB) vs Nadal (ESP)

On the woman's side, both of the Williams sisters lost.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I see your point with the Cubs/Sox comparison, but that pales into comparison with the Olympics. It's the single greatest sporting event in the world. I have yet to see ANY coverage on soccer, very little on water polo, nothing on handball, and numerous other sports. But I suppose as long as Michael Phelps, Misty May, Kerri Walsh, and Johnathan Horton are competing...it's much more important than anything else.

In other news, Federer was upset today by James Black. Djokovic advances in 3 sets vs Monfils, and Nadal takes care of some Austrian. The semifinals are set:

Blake (US) vs Gonzalez (CHI)

Djokovic (SRB) vs Nadal (ESP)

On the woman's side, both of the Williams sisters lost.

Well obviously the Cubs/Sox comparison was very generic, as the olympics are the biggest event there is. The problem is, the American media (and I'm sure it's like this everywhere, but I don't see the media worldwide) wants to decide what is the story/make itself the story. It sucks, but that is how they are. My biggest issue is the distribution of the primetime coverage. I'd like to see more events than just swimming, diving, and gymnastics. I'm sure as the olympics move on we will see more variety in primetime as more events start/head to their medal rounds, but it just seems like the same stuff is on in primetime everynight for the olympics, an event with dozens of sports.

Also, I REALLY hope James Blake can pull it off and win the gold medal now that he upset Federer. He seems like a very likeable guy and it'd be a great accomplishment for him as a player. It's tough though obviously as even if he wins the semifinal, he'll probably have to beat Nadal, who is the real #1 player in the world right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I see your point with the Cubs/Sox comparison, but that pales into comparison with the Olympics. It's the single greatest sporting event in the world. I have yet to see ANY coverage on soccer, very little on water polo, nothing on handball, and numerous other sports.

There has been a ton of water polo on MSNBC (UHD for the HD MSNBC feed). I have also seen PLENTY of handball (pretty dumb, who couldn't score a damn goal in that), and soccer and boxing are there as well. USA's live stuff from 1am on has a lot of interesting stuff too. NBC likes showing the live feeds because it gets the most ratings (and these Olympics are extremely high rated), but the stuff you crave IS available.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
There has been a ton of water polo on MSNBC (UHD for the HD MSNBC feed). I have also seen PLENTY of handball (pretty dumb, who couldn't score a damn goal in that), and soccer and boxing are there as well. USA's live stuff from 1am on has a lot of interesting stuff too. NBC likes showing the live feeds because it gets the most ratings (and these Olympics are extremely high rated), but the stuff you crave IS available.

Yeah this is all certainly true, it's just a pain in the butt to find and I'm whining and being lazy. :lolhitting

"It was something like supposed to be funny or something but never offensive in any way," Spain's Pau Gasol, center for the Los Angeles Lakers, said. "I'm sorry if anybody thought or took it the wrong way and thought that it was offensive."

I guess it's the people who take offense to the photo that have the problem. Nice job Gasol, wonder how L.A. fans and media will react to it when he's back.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
They finished in descending age order:

Boom... low blow!! :headbang

well done

Athomeboy 2000: 1

China: 0(but the judges will find some way to beat you)

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
"It was something like supposed to be funny or something but never offensive in any way," Spain's Pau Gasol, center for the Los Angeles Lakers, said. "I'm sorry if anybody thought or took it the wrong way and thought that it was offensive."

I guess it's the people who take offense to the photo that have the problem. Nice job Gasol, wonder how L.A. fans and media will react to it when he's back.

Yeah, and it's not like there is a large asian population in Los Angeles or anything.....

The women's gymnastics thing was actually pretty good. I now have the baseball team on, who is tied 2-2 in the 5th with Cuba.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Jeremy Schaap just reported that if Crocker concentrates tomorrow, which he has had trouble doing in the past, that he will in fact beat Phelps. I'm not Joe-Swimmer here but it sounds like one of those for sure things.

Phelps took himself out of a race in 2004 for Crocker, so maybe if Crocker beats him, he will pull out of a future race in these olympics so Phelps can take his spot, which should get him gold medal #8.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:22 AM)
Jeremy Schaap just reported that if Crocker concentrates tomorrow, which he has had trouble doing in the past, that he will in fact beat Phelps. I'm not Joe-Swimmer here but it sounds like one of those for sure things.

Phelps took himself out of a race in 2004 for Crocker, so maybe if Crocker beats him, he will pull out of a future race in these olympics so Phelps can take his spot, which should get him gold medal #8.

Cavic won the heat beating Phelps, then he won his semifinal swim beating Crocker, and had a faster time than Phelps also. If Cavic wins the gold, which he has a very legitimate shot to do, the only people who would be surprised would be the people at NBC.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:37 AM)
Cavic won the heat beating Phelps, then he won his semifinal swim beating Crocker, and had a faster time than Phelps also. If Cavic wins the gold, which he has a very legitimate shot to do, the only people who would be surprised would be the people at NBC.

Cavic winning wouldn't be all that big of a surprise, but the prelim heat times don't mean a whole lot. That's all about getting in the top 16 and then 8, and Phelps will be in another gear in the final (although so will Cavic obviously). Phelps has to be the favorite though, he is pretty good.

BTW, the Chinese Taipei fans were heard singing "na na na na, hey, goodbye" in perfect english during a 12th inning rally to take the lead. I wonder if Nancy Faust had any idea what she was starting when she first played that song at Old Comiskey.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Wow, Cuba stands a lead off triple in the top of the 10th inning. USA has a chance to win it in the bottom before it goes to wacky rules.

Talk about another crazy injury; the US batter fouled a bunt off his face and was bleeding pretty bad.

Cuba beats the US 5-4.

Edited by chimpy2121