2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 01:43 AM)
Wow, Cuba stands a lead off triple in the top of the 10th inning. USA has a chance to win it in the bottom before it goes to wacky rules.

Talk about another crazy injury; the US batter fouled a bunt off his face and was bleeding pretty bad.

Cuba beats the US 5-4.

How stupid are those extra inning rules? Never had heard of that before this. Ridiculous

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iam sure its been posted already in this thread but I dont want to read through everything.For Chad Johnson to say that he could seriously beat Phelps in swimming is such a f***ing joke.I like Chad but sometimes I just wanna trip him while he has scissors in his hands.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:37 AM)
Cavic won the heat beating Phelps, then he won his semifinal swim beating Crocker, and had a faster time than Phelps also. If Cavic wins the gold, which he has a very legitimate shot to do, the only people who would be surprised would be the people at NBC.

Nobody is even close to the swimmer Phelps is, he was saving some energy going to the finals. He's really unreal and can do anything he wants in the pool. If it was humanly possible, he could probably medal in every event save the 50 free.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Iam sure its been posted already in this thread but I dont want to read through everything.For Chad Johnson to say that he could seriously beat Phelps in swimming is such a f***ing joke.I like Chad but sometimes I just wanna trip him while he has scissors in his hands.

It was a joke. The problem is, it's not funny and neither are all of his other attempts at humor. Always trying to steal the limelight, what a douche.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
It was a joke. The problem is, it's not funny and neither are all of his other attempts at humor. Always trying to steal the limelight, what a douche.

Yeah I was pretty sure he was joking but he kept on saying dont laugh dont laugh Iam being completely serious.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
Ha, Steve's man-crush Horton won't medal. Maybe he should have focused less on the camera and more on his routines?

Maybe you should stop constantly b****ing about American gymnastics. We get it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
This doesn't mean I love you any less, but I'm tired of you complaining about America in this thread with nothing to back it up.

Yes, that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
As for the "fake" play by play thing, it's been going on for several years now. It's a good way to save money, and the technology of HDTV makes it possible to do. I don't think it's a big deal.

Yeah, ESPN has been doing it with Champions League for a while now. It doesn't bother me.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I see your point with the Cubs/Sox comparison, but that pales into comparison with the Olympics. It's the single greatest sporting event in the world. I have yet to see ANY coverage on soccer, very little on water polo, nothing on handball, and numerous other sports. But I suppose as long as Michael Phelps, Misty May, Kerri Walsh, and Johnathan Horton are competing...it's much more important than anything else.

Horton hasn't gotten near the coverage of the others you named. Phelps is the story of the Olympics and May/Walsh have won over 100 matches in a row. It's all about ratings and soccer doesn't get ratings in America. USA has had a lot of the stuff you mentioned. If you are only watching NBC, it's your own fault.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
Just to kind of get an idea, 8 of the 202 countries in the Olympics are fielding a baseball team...

Eight are fielding a team or eight qualified? I think it is the latter. Remember the USA didn't qualify for the last Olympics. The field is kept at 8 for some reason. Not sure if it is logistical or just a % of the total # of countries that play in the qualifying tournaments.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
Jeremy Schaap just reported that if Crocker concentrates tomorrow, which he has had trouble doing in the past, that he will in fact beat Phelps. I'm not Joe-Swimmer here but it sounds like one of those for sure things.

Phelps took himself out of a race in 2004 for Crocker, so maybe if Crocker beats him, he will pull out of a future race in these olympics so Phelps can take his spot, which should get him gold medal #8.

Actually if Crocker beats Phelps in a couple of minutes then Phelps would still be sitting on 6 golds, so allowing Phelps to take his place in the relay would only allow Phelps to tie Mark Spitz record 7 gold medals.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
Serbia filing a protest about the results.

Hmmm, Slav how do you explain this one? All week you complain about a Romanian making excuses and this/that because an American lost... but Serbia offically protests a result?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
The sheer drama that exists between when the race ends and when the 1/2/3 graphics come up is electric.

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way, I absolutely can't get enough of that half second delay between a close finish and the graphics coming up on who got in first.

Phelps gained two of his gold medals now in races that almost defied physics (the relay split by Lezak and the finish tonight). He's had 5 blowouts and two races that couldn't be any closer. You couldn't write a script better than this, it is amazing and so is Phelps. It's another example that sports/athletics are THE greatest form of reality television.

And I will refrain from jumping on soxfan1 for his countryman losing it tonight like a few others have, unless of course he says that Phelps didn't actually win and it's some kind of conspiracy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101