2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
what i dont get ....people say phelps is the greatest olympian ever....but how many people can even get the opportunity to win 8 medals? You can be the best wreslter in the world, but you only can get 1 medal. Ditto basketball player. I suppose track and field you can do alot of events, but in swimming, phelps got 2 medals for swimming 100m of butterfly (medley relay and individual) also the 200 fly i think he got it for which are all very similar races....don't get me wrong congrats to the guy on 8 golds..its pretty cool, but i think what he did is overplayed by the general population, because 95% of olympians dont even get a chance to win 8 medals, based strictly on the nature of their sports

If that's the case, then why aren't there swimmers winning 7-8 medals every Olympics?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
If that's the case, then why aren't there swimmers winning 7-8 medals every Olympics?

certainly it doesnt happen every olympics but in the past 10 olympics it has happened twice, and id be willing to bet that a pretty significant number of them have won 4 or 5.....im not arguing that he has been the best swimmer ever, im simply saying that there are alot of other people in other sports who never get the chance to win 8 medals, but may own their sport in an equally dominating fashion

I think Bolt could have shaved another tenth (run about a 9.59) had he gone all out for 100 meters. It is amazing how fast he is, never seen anything close to that. The double scary part is that supposedly he's better in the 200 meters, and he's only run the 100 for like a year. I would imagine one day in the next couple years, he'll be better trained as well as run hard for 100 meters, and who knows, he could probably run a 9 and a half flat (9.50). Just amazing stuff, and congrats to Michael Phelps. I see a lot of the points the detractors make and I hear them, but to win 8 gold medals in one olympiad is one of the great accomplishment in the history of sport and that's all there is to it.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
certainly it doesnt happen every olympics but in the past 10 olympics it has happened twice, and id be willing to bet that a pretty significant number of them have won 4 or 5.....im not arguing that he has been the best swimmer ever, im simply saying that there are alot of other people in other sports who never get the chance to win 8 medals, but may own their sport in an equally dominating fashion

Phelps is the only swimmer to win 8 medals in an olympics I believe and he won 8 golds not just 8 medals. That is absurd.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Phelps is the only swimmer to win 8 medals in an olympics I believe and he won 8 golds not just 8 medals. That is absurd.

Not to mention doing so by setting 7 world records and swimming his personal best in the one race he didn't set the WR.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Didn't he win 8 medals (6 gold) in Athens?

You are correct, he won 6 gold medals and 2 bronze medals in Athens and then 8 golds in Beijing. I believe he even ran a race at the 2000 olympics in Australia and finished 4th when he was 15.

Also, Lopez Lomong didn't get out of the 1500 meter semifinals. That isn't a surprise, but I'd have loved to have seen him pull off the upset somehow. Oh well, still a great story and he still got the carry the flag at the opening ceremony, which is arguably just as great an honor as even winning a medal.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
You are correct, he won 6 gold medals and 2 bronze medals in Athens and then 8 golds in Beijing. I believe he even ran a race at the 2000 olympics in Australia and finished 4th when he was 15.

That is just unbelievable especially when you take into account when athletes win like 1 bronze metal they cherish and show it off their whole life.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:19 PM)
ESPN Radio had some stupid poll of who is greater Phelps or the cubs. The cubs were getting 64% of the vote, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!

Well, they're very similar when you think about it. One has broken the all-time Olympic gold medal count and the record for gold medals in a single Olympiad, while the other hasn't won a World Series since 1908 or been to one since 1945. :huh

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
Bolt's 100 meter final was the single greatest domination of a race since Michael Johnson's 19.32 in the 200 meters in Atlanta. For me, THAT was the preformance of the Olympics.

I just was sort of like, what the hell did I just see... he friggin' let up and BLEW the field away. Honestly, I think he was shocked himself that he was that fast, if you look at his reaction.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)
Bolt's 100 meter final was the single greatest domination of a race since Michael Johnson's 19.32 in the 200 meters in Atlanta. For me, THAT was the preformance of the Olympics.

Agreed. For a single event, that was amazing. I can't wait to see his 200M performance.