2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
Your obsession with fielding percentage is disturbing. Right now A-Rod is a mediocre 3B while Pujols is probably the best 1B in the National League (and it has been said that he plays a mean SS in practice.) Pujols has a 74 point lead in career OPS so you're wrong on that one. Albert Pujols is just an incredible hitter, possibly the best all around hitter I've ever seen.

Just take a look at the all-time leaders in career OPS:

1.) Ruth - 1.164

2.) Williams - 1.116

3.) Gehrig - 1.080

4.) Bonds - 1.051

4.) Pujols - 1.043

That's crazy.

First off, I was just using FP because we were discussing them as baseball players, not just offense.

Secondly, I was using lg-OPS, not OPS, therefore A-Rod is higher.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
I like how you guys are discussing this in the olympic thread.

It is so clear those Chinese girls are under 16, I mean just look at them! KIDS.

Yeah, I think it's very likely most of them are under 16. But what does that say about them when 12-16 year olds are beating the s*** out of 16-20 year olds?

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
I like how you guys are discussing this in the olympic thread.

It is so clear those Chinese girls are under 16, I mean just look at them! KIDS.

Not a doubt in my mind. That's what happens when you have a communist government that can just make stuff up so they can "prove" they are better than anyone else.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
Yeah, I think it's very likely most of them are under 16. But what does that say about them when 12-16 year olds are beating the s*** out of 16-20 year olds?

It says these kids have been in virtual slavery since they wee 3. This is all they know.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)

I know jack about gymnastics but I think younger = advantage. Then again, we are loosing because of mistakes made, not the age difference.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
First off, I was just using FP because we were discussing them as baseball players, not just offense.

Secondly, I was using lg-OPS, not OPS, therefore A-Rod is higher.

If you're going to reference lgOPS then say you're using that stat, I'm not psychic. If you're going to use defensive metrics to prove a player's worth in the field then at least go with win shares or something with a hint of accuracy, FP is garbage.

And Pujols' lgOPS has been higher than A-Rod's for the past 3 seasons and since we're talking about RIGHT NOW and not career accomplishments that would mean Pujols has been the superior hitter.

i am so sick of the olympics...what an overrated sporting event....

gymnastics blows...you watch them flip once, its cool and then they do the same s*** over and over again

swimming? yawn...they go back and forth and in the end one finishes a half second in front of the other....big deal, even if phelps is good

i understand rooting for your country...but id rather root for my country while watching the USA bball team or baseball team...this other s*** is so boring IMO

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:08 AM)
I know jack about gymnastics but I think younger = advantage. Then again, we are loosing because of mistakes made, not the age difference.

Surely if you've had more international experience it's a big advantage.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Michael Phelps is really annoying. This has reached ESPN/Tiger Woods proportions.

i for one, am rooting for the other americans to beat phelps in the individual events....dont know why...just never like rooting for the front runner, media frenzy athletes (though i do enjoy watching tiger, but i think thats because he makes golf worth watching IMO)

Edited by daa84

Phelps is good. Kind of lame that Americans would actually pull against him for any reason. I want all US athletes to kick arse at the Olympics.

It's not his fault the media is following him around all the time. The guy has a chance to make history this year.

If he was on team France, than I would agree with all you.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
Phelps is good. Kind of lame that Americans would actually pull against him for any reason. I want all US athletes to kick arse at the Olympics.

It's not his fault the media is following him around all the time. The guy has a chance to make history this year.

Couldn't agree more. :notworthy

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)

its not like im rooting for the french...im just rooting for the other americans...i sitll want phelps to beat everyone else

i think the main thing is that frankly...i just dont care, i mean i guess go america, but swimming blows, as does fencing, gymnastics, beach volleyball, and just about everything else in the olympics besides basketball, boxing, wrestling and baseball (im sure im missing something in there) .....i guess i just have a hard time getting excited about swimming, even if it is an american dominating, so i get annoyed by the media frenzy of michael phelps, and that has created a bit of a distaste for the guy in my mind....especially when chicago is in the middle of two pennant races, and the bears/college football is starting up in 3 weeks

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Stephanie Rice=hot

Oh absolutely, I mentioned earlier in this thread that she is just amazing. They said tonight that she and her boyfriend (who I guess is a swimmer too) broke up, what is wrong with that guy? Between Miss Rice and Alicia Sacramone (although she had a bad night), that is just some outstanding hotness.

As for Phelps, I really like him. I am usually one who hates athletes who get media hype, but in the case of Tiger Woods and Michael Phelps, it's not media hype. Woods is the best golfer of all time, Phelps is the best swimmer of all time (if not olympic athlete period), and by the time they retire they'll be the best by a wide margin.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:33 AM)
Just another note on the hot athlete topic, Alicia Sacramone does not look nearly as good with her hair down. Google confirms.

Looks like through google that she might be italian and a natural brunette too, which is a shame. She is still hot, but come on, italian brunettes should not be dying their hair blonde. As an italian male, I object to such shenanigans.

/ethnic public service announcement

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:33 AM)
Just another note on the hot athlete topic, Alicia Sacramone does not look nearly as good with her hair down. Google confirms.

I tend to disagree.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlete=622/bio/

http://teenvogue.typepad.com/photos/uncate...olympics3_2.jpg

The one on the first page of Google images could just be a bad pic.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
I tend to disagree.

Whoa she looks a lot like somebody I know in those pictures with the hair down. I'm with you though, she looks good with the hair down too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
I tend to disagree.

I never said she was ugly with the hair down. Personally, I just feel she looks a lot better with the hair up. Good both ways, but hair up suits her better. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
I never said she was ugly with the hair down. Personally, I just feel she looks a lot better with the hair up. Good both ways, but hair up suits her better. Just my opinion.

she's my latest crush. still waiting on that friend request... :P

and my take on the age thing is younger>older because of this: when you're older you have a much better idea of the scope at it all. you have much more to lose cuz it's your last shot. when you're younger, though you know it's important, you just... dont attach AS MUCH significance to it and thus you're less nervous and perform better.

secondly, the chinese girls were half as tall (hyperbole) as the americans, thus they almost never got far enough to even fall out of bounds when they messed up - their little bodies just didn't travel as far

lastly, they're less prone to injury because their bodies can twist and turn and flex more easily than the older girls and so they didn't have to go through what team USA did with all their injuries.

that is why young is better and why team USA was ripped off.