50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
I don't want to speak for Heads, but bulls***.

Alex is about a month older than me, so he has probably been following the team closely 6-7 years. It's not about best, or performance, but who is your favorite. If I made a list, Brian would probably be Top 10. I love his attitude, he seems like is very well liked in the clubhouse now, is fantastic defensively, and for me, he has always been very accommodating when I have spoke to him in Spring Training. Most times, that shouldn't sway voting, but in this case, it should. It's who is your FAVORITE, not best.

Well then you're f***ed in the Heads22.

And I get the idea of the list... my favorite was AJ Pierzynski. He, however, has been a regular starter for years and a key member of the 05 Championship team, not a backup who never lived up to his hype. Might as well put Joe Borchard...

I mean, he even compares him to Aaron Rowand, who had better be #1 on his list if emulating Rowand was worthy of #2 or else it's just stupid.

EDIT: This does not mean I dislike Alex, he and I get along great, but BA #2 I had to call that out.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
BA is a good 4th oufielder with the Sox who could be an above average starting CF on another team, that's about it.

Back in the early 90's, Bulls fans would begin chanting Granville - Granville near the end of home wins. Much like a Red Auerbach cigar, it signaled a Bulls victory. Granville Waiters was a Bull fan favorite, and he was one of the worst players in the NBA. http://www.granvillewaiters.com/

So I do not believe playing ability and fan favorite is synonymous. And a 4th outfielder is almost tailor made for fan favorite. The little guy who could. Against the odds. The underdog.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
So I do not believe playing ability and fan favorite is synonymous. And a 4th outfielder is almost tailor made for fan favorite. The little guy who could. Against the odds. The underdog.

Maybe if he was a late rounder, we're talking about a first rounder. he's not an underdog he's a f*** up washout.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)

And I get the idea of the list... my favorite was AJ Pierzynski. He, however, has been a regular starter for years and a key member of the 05 Championship team, not a backup who never lived up to his hype. Might as well put Joe Borchard...

I mean, he even compares him to Aaron Rowand, who had better be #1 on his list if emulating Rowand was worthy of #2 or else it's just stupid.

EDIT: This does not mean I dislike Alex, he and I get along great, but BA #2 I had to call that out.

Ever watch the movie Rudy? Anyone else on that team have a movie made about them?

f***ed in the head? To use playing ability as a critieria and rank AJ above Fisk is hilarious. You know, the guy in the HoF, lifesize statue at US Cellular, Retired White Sox number??

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Ever watch the movie Rudy? Anyone else on that team have a movie made about them?

f***ed in the head? To use playing ability as a critieria and rank AJ above Fisk is hilarious. You know, the guy in the HoF, lifesize statue at US Cellular, Retired White Sox number??

Rudy wasn't a first rounder.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
Rudy wasn't a first rounder.

So you would like AJ more if he was drafted lower? I never factored in draft position into whether I was a fan or not. I could not tell you draft position of anyone on my list except for Baines. I have a difficult time understanding how that works,

"I really enjoy watching John Doe play, he's one of my favorites"

"Did you know he was drafted in the 1st round?"

"really!? he's washed up then, I take that back, I don't like watching him play!"

BTW In my top five is a starting pitcher who lost 20 games one season.

Had I made a list, BA would be in my top 10 and possibly top 5. He seems like a great guy, put in a lot of work to be one of the better defenders I've ever witnessed in CF, and I inexplicably have a crazy desire for him to do well. So shoot me.

This is a list of 'favorite' Sox players. What makes a player a favorite is subjective and up to the person doing the choosing, using whatever criteria they want. I don't think any choice should be 'called out'.

Unless it is Jamie Navarro.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
This is a list of 'favorite' Sox players. What makes a player a favorite is subjective and up to the person doing the choosing, using whatever criteria they want. I don't think any choice should be 'called out'.

Unless it is Jamie Navarro.

Subjective or not, people liking Brian Anderson more than Alexei Ramirez makes me cringe.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:25 AM)

This is just a ridiculous post.

This isnt the 50 best players in Sox history. If my favorite player was Ron Karkovice becuase i know his son, and know him personally then thats my choice. He wouldnt be my favorite player because of what he does on the field, but regardless would be my favorite player because of our personal connection. Would you roast me?

----That whole story was made up to prove a point.

I have a buddy at notre dame he said that most people at least on the team hated rudy...f-ing movie magic thats all. And i heard they never even chanted his name. That was movie magic too. And i heard Jon Favreau never went there neither. My whole lifes been a lie up to this point.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
So you would like AJ more if he was drafted lower? I never factored in draft position into whether I was a fan or not. I could not tell you draft position of anyone on my list except for Baines. I have a difficult time understanding how that works,

"I really enjoy watching John Doe play, he's one of my favorites"

"Did you know he was drafted in the 1st round?"

"really!? he's washed up then, I take that back, I don't like watching him play!"

BTW In my top five is a starting pitcher who lost 20 games one season.

Todd Ritchie?

QUOTE (TCQ @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
I have a buddy at notre dame he said that most people at least on the team hated rudy...f-ing movie magic thats all. And i heard they never even chanted his name. That was movie magic too. And i heard Jon Favreau never went there neither. My whole lifes been a lie up to this point.

I saw the movie, believed it all happened as the film portrayed it, and still was hoping Rudy would get mauled by a pack of wolves at the end. God how I hated that dude. Watch Forrest Gump a few times and you may find yourself hating him, too.

BTW, a college friend's father attended ND and was at the Rudy game. I called BS on the whole thing and he vehemently defended the movie's portrayal of that last game versus Georgia Tech. Who knows what the truth is.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
This is just a ridiculous post.

This isnt the 50 best players in Sox history. If my favorite player was Ron Karkovice becuase i know his son, and know him personally then thats my choice. He wouldnt be my favorite player because of what he does on the field, but regardless would be my favorite player because of our personal connection. Would you roast me?

----That whole story was made up to prove a point.

ding ding

he sure as hell wouldn't have made a list of best sox players

Before we move on to the next lists... Can I ask one small favor? If you don't like the picks of people's favorite players, keep it to yourself. This is a completely subjective list based on nothing else other than who people like. It is not going to have any rhyme or reason, or make any sense to some. Just because you don't like a player, or he doesn't have big stats, doesn't mean that someone else doesn't as well. Please keep the discussions to the player, and things about him. K, tnx.

Why the hell is it so hard for some of you to understand the difference between "favorite" and "best"?

If my personal favorite was Jaime Navarro and I had a personal story to back it up, he's my FAVORITE, not the BEST. Now, I'd have to have my head examined (:lol:), but if there's an experience that makes him my favorite, please allow me to keep those good times.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm not seeing any good Brian Anderson back stories. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 games, tops, that he truly made a difference.

Holy f***. How the hell hard is it to get, people? It's not about PERFORMANCE, it's about who your favorite is and why!!!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Holy f***. How the hell hard is it to get, people? It's not about PERFORMANCE, it's about who your favorite is and why!!!

But that's just it, there's no reasoning behind it. For BA to be #2 on any list of favorite players (and I know favorite), just show's lack of judgement. With no back story, which there is none, BA could not have proven in his very sporadic playing time enough to be #2 on anyone's list.

It just shows a complete lack of fandom.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)

Oh come on now. You can't expect to see a list of 50 favorite players and not expect people to question some of the results. What's the point of even doing this if people can't comment.

Let me give you an example. I have a very good friend who plays in the NHL.

To most, he's a guy that people might not like, but he'll always be a favorite of mine, one because of the friendship I have with him and two because I personally see how he treats people off the playing field (or in this case, rink). No one might consider this guy a favorite, and Heads considers BA a favorite, because he's pulling for the underdog, or however you want to say it.

Now, all I see is people in here ripping him for his opinion because he's a favorite of his? Please. It's pathetic. You can disagree, but statements like

Well then you're f***ed in the Heads22

is just plain over the top f***ing ignorant. And then to see it piled on, is just sad.

Whatever. You guys have your "fun", I've said my piece.