50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Carlton Fisk, Mark Buerhle, Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye, AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, Aaron Rowand are the top 10 not in that order unless I left out someone really obvious. Other probables Luis Aparicio, Ray Durham, Carlos Lee, John Danks, Bobby Jenks. Will be interesting to see how many from the 2005 Championship team make it. Pods ? Everett ? Garcia? Contreras? Iguchi ? Uribe ?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
lol@Pods making it. He's one of the most disrespcted and hated on players in the history of Soxtalk.

There is a silent majority on this board that shows respect for a players abilities that contributed to a championship regardless of what injuries occurred afterwards to screw him up. There was plenty of hate for Gavin Floyd also and I think people are seeing that young players in the right hands can turn things around.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)
I'm thinking Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Carlton Fisk, Mark Buerhle, Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye, AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, Aaron Rowand are the top 10 not in that order unless I left out someone really obvious. Other probables Luis Aparicio, Ray Durham, Carlos Lee, John Danks, Bobby Jenks. Will be interesting to see how many from the 2005 Championship team make it. Pods ? Everett ? Garcia? Contreras? Iguchi ? Uribe ?

If Baines is not in the top 5, then some Sox fans need a history lesson.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
If Baines is not in the top 5, then some Sox fans need a history lesson.

It's "favorite" white sox players, so his achievements are only part of the equation. What makes someone a favorite is different for every person who took the time to vote. I didn't vote for anyone who I didn't see - which dates back to 1978 or so. That left quite a few of the all time great Sox - Fox, Aparicio, Pierce, Shoeless Joe, Appling, etc - off my list. Does that invalidate my list?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)
It's "favorite" white sox players, so his achievements are only part of the equation. What makes someone a favorite is different for every person who took the time to vote. I didn't vote for anyone who I didn't see - which dates back to 1978 or so. That left quite a few of the all time great Sox - Fox, Aparicio, Pierce, Shoeless Joe, Appling, etc - off my list. Does that invalidate my list?

Sounds pretty similar to what i did. I didn't watch baseball until like '88 or '89, so I never got to see some of the Sox legends prior to the 80's. Baines is in my top 25, but not my top 10.

Nick Swisher could be my least favorite, sadly. His "energy" really hasn't lifted the team or been contagious. His bat is atrocious, he Ks in big spots and he can't handle CF for crap (tho that's not his fault cause he isn't a CF). But for all the hype he brought with him, I have been completely dissapointed.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)

No it doesn't invalidate your list at all. My comment was partly tongue in cheek, if you read this thread you will see how much I agree with you.

BTW, based on the date you mentioned, you would have seen his play.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
lol@Pods making it. He's one of the most disrespcted and hated on players in the history of Soxtalk.

Not by me. He hit one of the biggest homers in club history and was a key factor to our World Series.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
No it doesn't invalidate your list at all. My comment was partly tongue in cheek, if you read this thread you will see how much I agree with you.

BTW, based on the date you mentioned, you would have seen his play.

No problem. I didn't read the whole thread, and I did put Baines on my list. And I was just explaining how I voted and how if others here were in their early 20's, they might not have much of a memory of Baines playing. Based on the results so far, it seems as if most people only voted for players they saw play. Unfortunately, that leaves out a bunch of really good players. In fact, the players left off the list are probably better than those who will make it if the voting keeps going like it has.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
No problem. I didn't read the whole thread, and I did put Baines on my list. And I was just explaining how I voted and how if others here were in their early 20's, they might not have much of a memory of Baines playing. Based on the results so far, it seems as if most people only voted for players they saw play. Unfortunately, that leaves out a bunch of really good players. In fact, the players left off the list are probably better than those who will make it if the voting keeps going like it has.

As has been brought up many times, stats and ability does not always translate to fan favorite.

There is a silent majority on this board that shows respect for a players abilities that contributed to a championship regardless of what injuries occurred afterwards to screw him up. There was plenty of hate for Gavin Floyd also and I think people are seeing that young players in the right hands can turn things around.

Amen. Great post!! I can totally see Pods making it. I can totally see somebody listing him as one of their FAVORITE PLAYERS.

I mean I had guys like Chet Lemon and Gary Peters 1-2 on mine and they didn't contribute near as much on a significant level as Pods. He was sensational during our title year. I wonder why some members of the 05 Sox aren't nearly as revered as members of the 1985 Bears. Ridiculous to hate on these guys. I don't get it sometimes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:25 AM)
Amen. Great post!! I can totally see Pods making it. I can totally see somebody listing him as one of their FAVORITE PLAYERS.

I mean I had guys like Chet Lemon and Gary Peters 1-2 on mine and they didn't contribute near as much on a significant level as Pods. He was sensational during our title year. I wonder why some members of the 05 Sox aren't nearly as revered as members of the 1985 Bears. Ridiculous to hate on these guys. I don't get it sometimes.

I'll answer that question, at least give it my opined answer. A lot of posters here do not have the perspective of history in their baseball knowledge set. This isn't a criticism of younger posters at all. My earliest baseball memories, and I mean solid memories, come from the 1964 World Series. Well, 2005 was the first time I ever saw the Sox in the World Series. I mean I literally bawled when I knew the SOX WON THE PENNANT!!! .... That's just the AL pennant, man. When they won the Series, I was with as much family as possible at my parents' place. Shared that special moment with those I love most. Now Pods had to compete against some childhood favorites to make my list, and I'll be honest I don't think he did make it. But that certainly doesn't mean that his contributions aren't held in high regard in my little corner of the world.

It seems that many of the people who contributed lists confined their selections to players who they actually saw play. Which makes perfect sense to me. After all it is about favorites. Fans like Yas and I have forty years of players to choose from, and quite frankly, at least for me, childhood memories are pretty cool. Nostalgia sells.

I also wonder what '77 would have been like if there had been a Soxtalk. I probably would not be looking back with such fondness. The sheer repetitiveness of posting everyday how much the team now sucks and will miss the playoffs would have left a terrible mark. Instead, I did not have that avenue to reinforce my disappointment and really only remember the curtain calls and singing with Nancy.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
It seems that many of the people who contributed lists confined their selections to players who they actually saw play. Which makes perfect sense to me. After all it is about favorites. Fans like Yas and I have forty years of players to choose from, and quite frankly, at least for me, childhood memories are pretty cool. Nostalgia sells.

I also wonder what '77 would have been like if there had been a Soxtalk. I probably would not be looking back with such fondness. The sheer repetitiveness of posting everyday how much the team now sucks and will miss the playoffs would have left a terrible mark. Instead, I did not have that avenue to reinforce my disappointment and really only remember the curtain calls and singing with Nancy.

Other than the uniforms, that was a fun team to watch.