50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
It just seems like you made it up to shut me up. Of 100+ years of baseball he's the only college grad that played with the Sox? Aren't there hundreds, if not thousands, besides him that were actually good players or great people off the field?

Again, that was one of my reasons that BA is a current favorite of mine. Again, name a criteria that every one of your picks has. I liked Ozzie for his defense, competitiveness, and fire, I really dislike his comments and some character issues. I love Baines for his offense and character. I have no idea if either one went to college. Should I have left one or both off my list?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
So shocked you are going this route. You think baseball players are directly comparable to food and girlfriends. There's no point in talking about these type of subjects to you.

FAVORITE is the same. Again, favorite can happen by stuff off the field. Glen Kozlowski lived in Wildwood and would hang out Gages Lake Beach with a bunch of us. He wasn't a top NFL receiver, in fact made his living knocking people down on specialty teams. He was easily one of my all-time favorite Bears players. Tell me how that is wrong?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
Again, that was one of my reasons that BA is a current favorite of mine. Again, name a criteria that every one of your picks has. I liked Ozzie for his defense, competitiveness, and fire, I really dislike his comments and some character issues. I love Baines for his offense and character. I have no idea if either one went to college. Should I have left one or both off my list?

I'm done with this. I wasn't trying to single you out Tex. I was just confused to why anyone would consider him an all time favorite and no one seemed to give a good reason. Heck, look at the first post. There's nothing in it to provide people an explanation as to why he's a fan favorite.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Is Gload your #2 favorite White Sox of all time?

I see I can't win this argument, but there is no reasoning for BA to be #2 on Heads' list other than he's a goofy bastard and picked him to be different.

The point I was making is, there IS no argument. You cannot argue about someone's favorite anything. Trying to do so is just arguing to argue.

I'm an Ehren Wassermann fan. I think he's a good guy, I like what he brings to the table in terms of ability, and I think he'll eventually settle into being a decent middle reliever. I also love his back story - hard not to like a guy who made it to the majors from an open tryout. He's the anti-prospect - not drafted out of college, never looked at as a prospect, yet succeeded at every level on his way up anyway.

Now, Ehren is no great stuff statistically this year, and is struggling. So am I an idiot because I like the guy?

Its all subjective. You making declarative statements that some player has no place on a "favorites" list is missing the point of the list and the thread.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
FAVORITE is the same. Again, favorite can happen by stuff off the field. Glen Kozlowski lived in Wildwood and would hang out Gages Lake Beach with a bunch of us. He wasn't a top NFL receiver, in fact made his living knocking people down on specialty teams. He was easily one of my all-time favorite Bears players. Tell me how that is wrong?

I agree, that arguing favorite is stupid. However, I will point this out. You make all these things known, that's cool.

Ozzie Guillen is one of my favorites because I met him at Target when I was like 10 and he signed a baseball for me. He then went on to manage the White Sox to the World Series, but had he not, he'd still be on my list.

However, all I'm trying to point out is, Heads has no back story for BA. BA didnt hang out at Gages Lake Beach with him. BA didn't shake his hand in a Kaybee Toys, BA did nothing special to deserve this, and by that one vote found his way onto the Top 50. I don't understand the vote, and I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that I think his vote for BA as #2, despite it being opinion, was still really dumb and takes away from the legitimacy of this entire thing. The points awarded for getting a #2 vote directly screw up the entire process, and one list adversely effects the entire thing.

I guess I should just get over it, but the only reasoning I see for voting for BA is because he was a top prospect once, even if he sucks. It just seems stupid, ridiculously stupid, for him to be the #2 favorite White Sox on anyone's list who doesn't have an ounce of a story about BA other than he's that guy, who hit some homeruns in a meaningless game in Seattle, and largley disappointed an entire fanbase by being immature and not figuring out how to hit on the MLB level.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
That's what I'm saying. It's fine to have him on your top 50. However, he made Soxtalk's Top 50 largely based on one person putting him at #2. NUMBER TWO.

No, BA on the list because he was named on *4* lists. Everyone who was on 4 lists made the top 50.

If Harold Baines is not on every list I demand to know why. Great player, great organizational guy. Number retired, statue erected. Great character. There is absolutely no reason he shoudn't be #1 on every list.

But he won't be. Some people like a more outgoing personality. Who's wrong?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
The point I was making is, there IS no argument. You cannot argue about someone's favorite anything. Trying to do so is just arguing to argue.

I'm an Ehren Wassermann fan. I think he's a good guy, I like what he brings to the table in terms of ability, and I think he'll eventually settle into being a decent middle reliever. I also love his back story - hard not to like a guy who made it to the majors from an open tryout. He's the anti-prospect - not drafted out of college, never looked at as a prospect, yet succeeded at every level on his way up anyway.

Now, Ehren is no great stuff statistically this year, and is struggling. So am I an idiot because I like the guy?

Its all subjective. You making declarative statements that some player has no place on a "favorites" list is missing the point of the list and the thread.

NO, you're not an idiot because you like the guy. You would be ridiculous if you ranked him as your #2 favorite all-time white sox though. That's just my opinion, and I know you and Heads both are not idiots.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
Before we move on to the next lists... Can I ask one small favor? If you don't like the picks of people's favorite players, keep it to yourself. This is a completely subjective list based on nothing else other than who people like. It is not going to have any rhyme or reason, or make any sense to some. Just because you don't like a player, or he doesn't have big stats, doesn't mean that someone else doesn't as well. Please keep the discussions to the player, and things about him. K, tnx.

Dude, the whole point of this is to talk about them. Asking people not to react would basically take the whole meaning of a message board away. I don't think that's a good call at all.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
NO, you're not an idiot because you like the guy. You would be ridiculous if you ranked him as your #2 favorite all-time white sox though. That's just my opinion, and I know you and Heads both are not idiots.

I think that brings us back full circle. Thank you. :lol:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
I'm done with this. I wasn't trying to single you out Tex. I was just confused to why anyone would consider him an all time favorite and no one seemed to give a good reason. Heck, look at the first post. There's nothing in it to provide people an explanation as to why he's a fan favorite.

I didn't think I was being singled out.

No one has a *good* reason for you to like him. They have *good* reasons for them to like him. And that's how they made their lists.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)

I think it is more ridiculous to see someone with less than a full season on the list. But to each his own. I imagine there may be someone coming up on the list because of his sex appeal. That may be a good reason for some of our members, not so for others.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
But that's just it, there's no reasoning behind it. For BA to be #2 on any list of favorite players (and I know favorite), just show's lack of judgement. With no back story, which there is none, BA could not have proven in his very sporadic playing time enough to be #2 on anyone's list.

It just shows a complete lack of fandom.

WHat a ridiculous, retarded statement.

There doesnt have to be any reasoning behind it. He's one of his favorite players becuase he is. Simple as that. I dont get some of you guys, it is not about performance, it is about who is your favorite...for whatever reason. Over in the SLAM forum someone made a post last week being glad Schlitz and PBR are making a comeback or something like that. Personally, i couldnt care less and hate those beers. But you know what, if someone says that is their FAVORITE beer, who the hell am i to judge them and demand reasoning. I guess i should just tell them they lack judgement b/c they have a different kind of favorite than i do.

Ridiculous...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
I can tell you all one thing, I'm sure not gaining any fans in this thread. :lolhitting

I'll drop it.

Although Sonic, I think you can find better words than "retarded" to use on the message boards. What is this, 2nd grade recess?

Yep, I just took you off my top posters list.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
Let me give you an example. I have a very good friend who plays in the NHL.

To most, he's a guy that people might not like, but he'll always be a favorite of mine, one because of the friendship I have with him and two because I personally see how he treats people off the playing field (or in this case, rink). No one might consider this guy a favorite, and Heads considers BA a favorite, because he's pulling for the underdog, or however you want to say it.

HORDI!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Dude, the whole point of this is to talk about them. Asking people not to react would basically take the whole meaning of a message board away. I don't think that's a good call at all.

The difference is this, posting why so and so would not be your favorite is fine, dismissing someone else's opinion is pointless. Some people like flash and sizzle, some like a quiet cool. Some like hard charging into a catcher, others like a great hook slide. Some like multi-colored hair and tats, others do not. So I believe a thread of posts explaining why you like or dislike someone is far different then a thread full of your an idiot for liking that guy or that's ridiculous. You are right, it does make for a good thread to react and discuss.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
If sex appeal was the major factor, BA would be #1 all time!

But if three posters had them on their list for that reason, would that be wrong? Remember we do have a few posters who like men. Hmm, maybe Heads has an announcement? Name your favorite female tennis stars, perhaps a player who is better known for advertisements and not winning a tournament would be in your top 20?

But seriously, explaining why *you* like or dislike someone is a great discussion, challenging why someone else likes or dislikes someone seems pointless.

Reading

I just can't get past the point that Anderson has squandered all that talent and opportunity. Maybe if he comes around and started playing better he's someone I could like. bUT I doubt it.
is one thing

Reading

How could anyone like this guy?! He sucks. Someone give me one reason he should be on this list!?
Is another.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
I can tell you all one thing, I'm sure not gaining any fans in this thread. :lolhitting

I'll drop it.

Although Sonic, I think you can find better words than "retarded" to use on the message boards. What is this, 2nd grade recess?

Well he could have called you gay.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)

I'll drop it.

Actually you may be gaining some fans and losing others. Which is kind of the point. And the story line of

hero, golden boy, gets full of himself and is b****ed slapped to reality (Ozzie), then, learning that lesson and against adversity (also Ozzie), becomes the star he was destined to be (Sox fans can hope). Is almost straight out of Hollywood.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Is it really surprising to people that Anderson made this? He's had his own fan club on here for 4 years now. I'm shocked he wasn't a lot higher. Now, if I see the following players on this list, I might have to make some negative remarks:

Jaime Navarro, Tim Belcher, Royce Clayton, Jose Paniagua, Jesus Pena, Ron Santo, Darin Erstad, Scott Ruffcorn, D'Angelo Jimenez, Jon Rauch, Billy Koch

Don Kessinger a problem? He signed one of my baseball trophies. He played a season or two on the southside.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Actually you may be gaining some fans and losing others. Which is kind of the point. And the story line of

hero, golden boy, gets full of himself and is b****ed slapped to reality (Ozzie), then, learning that lesson and against adversity (also Ozzie), becomes the star he was destined to be (Sox fans can hope). Is almost straight out of Hollywood.

I can't help but to picture you as a giant ape.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)

I think it is a much better idea than having something that looks like the cesspool the Brian Anderson thread got turned into.