50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wonder what '77 would have been like if there had been a Soxtalk. I probably would not be looking back with such fondness. The sheer repetitiveness of posting everyday how much the team now sucks and will miss the playoffs would have left a terrible mark. Instead, I did not have that avenue to reinforce my disappointment and really only remember the curtain calls and singing with Nancy.

Man times have certainly changed. That team would have been buried on the board. All the favorites who bashed the ball until mid August would have been bums in September. You are right. And with Mariotti writing choke columns, wow 77 woulda been a disaster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Man times have certainly changed. That team would have been buried on the board. All the favorites who bashed the ball until mid August would have been bums in September. You are right. And with Mariotti writing choke columns, wow 77 woulda been a disaster.

And think about how ungratful they were to then leave via free agency. Greedy bums.

It does highlight one thing, and I do think this is a good thing. We set our sights much higher today as Sox fans. Back in '77 a Chicago baseball playoff berth was huge. Now it seems very obtainable and more aggravating if we miss out. This team for example, os not a "hey, we had a lot of fun this summer, to bad we just missed" team. It's a dammit, you better make the playoffs. Anything less should be worthy of fan scorn. In '77 we'd be giggly with excitement at today's record and standing.

In '77 we'd be giggly with excitement at today's record and standing.

Boy you are right. I remember being very disappointed at the end of that season, but it was so much fun. It goes down as one of the best summers of my life.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
Boy you are right. I remember being very disappointed at the end of that season, but it was so much fun. It goes down as one of the best summers of my life.

Veeck was a master at making the ball park fun, win or lose.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
And think about how ungratful they were to then leave via free agency. Greedy bums.

It does highlight one thing, and I do think this is a good thing. We set our sights much higher today as Sox fans. Back in '77 a Chicago baseball playoff berth was huge. Now it seems very obtainable and more aggravating if we miss out. This team for example, os not a "hey, we had a lot of fun this summer, to bad we just missed" team. It's a dammit, you better make the playoffs. Anything less should be worthy of fan scorn. In '77 we'd be giggly with excitement at today's record and standing.

Looking at this offense, they have a LOT in common with the southside hitmen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
Sorry for the long delay guys.

I'll try to pick it up more.

Aww, shucks. I was just kiddin'. It's great that you put all this time into it. I want to say thank you if I haven't already.

One question, was Griffey on the Sox when the lists were submitted?

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
Sorry for the long delay guys.

I'll try to pick it up more.

For the record, it isn't Knight slowing things down. He has asked a number of people to write short bios and they are taking some time to get done. So he's too nice to kick some butt, I'm not. If he asked, get your lists done. :angry:

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
For the record, it isn't Knight slowing things down. He has asked a number of people to write short bios and they are taking some time to get done. So he's too nice to kick some butt, I'm not. If he asked, get your lists done. :angry:

www.fingerpointing/Texsox.com.Stop making me feel even more guilty than I did before. :ph34r: :crying

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
www.fingerpointing/Texsox.com.Stop making me feel even more guilty than I did before. :ph34r: :crying

Knight has way too much class to name names. He just said he was waiting. ;) If I knew it was you, I would have offered to help.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
Knight has way too much class to name names. He just said he was waiting. ;) If I knew it was you, I would have offered to help.

Lol.I know I was just pointing myself out kinda like when you commit a crime and you think you are a person of interest even if your not and you just break.It feels like a load off my shoulders. :lol:

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Lol.I know I was just pointing myself out kinda like when you commit a crime and you think you are a person of interest even if your not and you just break.It feels like a load off my shoulders. :lol:

Any more you are suppose to be doing?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:05 AM)
This favorite Sox players thing just lost all credibility. How the hell is Willie Harris on this list? I know of one Willie Harris fan on earth. And we all know who that is. I know one thing, Scott Podsednik better come up at some point. If Willie f***in' Harris made it then he better make it.

I like Willie Harris more than Scott Podsednik so i guess that makes 2. And, he wasnt even on my list.

And Scott Podsednik never even sniffed my top 25.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
This favorite Sox players thing just lost all credibility. How the hell is Willie Harris on this list? I know of one Willie Harris fan on earth. And we all know who that is. I know one thing, Scott Podsednik better come up at some point. If Willie f***in' Harris made it then he better make it.

Willie F***ing Harris scored the only run in the final game of the 2005 season. That's got to count for something.