YASNY and I, Just a couple of rednecks . . .

Texsox

We have enjoyed the redneck jokes for years. It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country and God. If I had to stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of. I hope I am one of those. If you feel the same, pass this on to your redneck friends. Ya'll know who ya' are.

You might be a redneck if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, 'One nation, under God'

You might be a redneck if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a redneck if: You still say ' Christmas' instead of 'Winter Festival.'

You might be a redneck if: You bow your head when someone prays.

You might be a redneck if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You might be a redneck if: You treat our armed forces veterans with great respect, and always have.

You might be a redneck if: You've never burned an American flag, nor intend to.

You might be a redneck if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a redneck if: You respect your elders and raised your kids to do the same.

You might be a redneck if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
We have enjoyed the redneck jokes for years. It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country and God. If I had to stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of. I hope I am one of those. If you feel the same, pass this on to your redneck friends. Ya'll know who ya' are.

You might be a redneck if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, 'One nation, under God'

You might be a redneck if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a redneck if: You still say ' Christmas' instead of 'Winter Festival.'

You might be a redneck if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You might be a redneck if: You treat our armed forces veterans with great respect, and always have.

You might be a redneck if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a redneck if: You respect your elders and raised your kids to do the same.

Just make sure the rednecks backing you up had either no beer or enough beer, otherwise a beer run just might interupt things.

Always hated the term redneck, but most of the above fit me. Oh well.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)

Or, you might be an American, not a redneck, if you do all of the above.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
Yes, truly all Americans should believe in a specific religion and think that material should be plastered all over government buildings.

:lolhitting There was only one there that involved religion and it being in a public place, and that was the ten commandments one. And the ten commandments aren't just for Catholics. It is believe by all Christian religions and Judaism.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Then no, to me, you're not an American.

This sentence makes me sad and befuddled for more reasons than I can list, but, I'll try this one...

Has it occurred to you that America is great because of its freedoms? I'd imagine it has. So, how is it you call someone who elects not to be or do those things, not American? Or do you feel that the freedoms granted in the Constitution only apply to people just like you?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
:lolhitting There was only one there that involved religion and it being in a public place, and that was the ten commandments one. And the ten commandments aren't just for Catholics. It is believe by all Christian religions and Judaism.

So, you think that this is a nation that should only protect the religious freedoms of Christians and Jews?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
Then no, to me, you're not an American.

Thats sad. I really can't think of anything else to say. It's more sad than seeing Brett Favre play for the Jets.

Oh oh there I like football dosen't that at least make me 50% American. 45%?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
So, you think that this is a nation that should only protect the religious freedoms of Christians and Jews?

Nice spin job there... Did you ever see me say that? But when roughly around 90% of the country is either some form of christianity, jewish, or non religious, seeing the ten commandments somewhere in public isn't something that should be made a big deal about.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
Nice spin job there... Did you ever see me say that? But when roughly around 90% of the country is either some form of christianity, jewish, or non religious, seeing the ten commandments somewhere in public isn't something that should be made a big deal about.

And that's fine, I can understand that argument.

I'm still curious as to my other questions to you, though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
This sentence makes me sad and befuddled for more reasons than I can list, but, I'll try this one...

Has it occurred to you that America is great because of its freedoms? I'd imagine it has. So, how is it you call someone who elects not to be or do those things, not American? Or do you feel that the freedoms granted in the Constitution only apply to people just like you?

If someone is offended by the line "one nation, under God", then no, you're not American. If you are offended by the Pledge of Allegiance, then you shouldn't be in this Country. (IMO)

If you refuse to show your country respect and stand up and place your hand over your heart for the National Anthem, then no, you're not American. (IMO)

If you burn the flag, one of the most sacred symbols of our freedom, then no, you're not American. (IMO)

If you refuse to show respect to the servicemen and veterans of this country, the people who made this country what it is (this doesn't just include current servicemen and veterans, but also the dead who sacrificed their lives for this wonderful country in past wars), then no, you're not American. (IMO)

If you get offended by the ten commandments in a public place, then you're an idiot. (IMO)

If you say "Winter Festival" instead of Christmas, then you are not only an idiot but also a douche. (IMO)

If you don't respect your elders and raise your children not to do so as well, you are an asshole. (IMO)

Now, GoSox said he doesn't do many of the things on that list. 4 of the 10 things (40% of the list for the math challenged) I feel every American should do and if you don't, I don't consider you an American. The other 3 things are just basic things every decent person should do. The final 3 I guess you can qualify as redneck stuff.

I don't know how GoSox feels about the first 4 I posted, but when he said he doesn't do most, I assumed it was a vast majority. However, now thinking about it, it could be that he doesn't do 6 out of the 10...

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
If someone is offended by the line "one nation, under God", then no, you're not American. If you are offended by the Pledge of Allegiance, then you shouldn't be in this Country.

If you refuse to show your country respect and stand up and place your hand over your heart for the National Anthem, then no, you're not American.

If you burn the flag, one of the most sacred symbols of our freedom, then no, you're not American.

If you refuse to show respect to the servicemen and veterans of this country, the people who made this country what it is (this doesn't just include current servicemen and veterans, but also the dead who sacrificed their lives for this wonderful country in past wars), then no, you're not American.

If you get offended by the ten commandments in a public place, then you're an idiot.

If you say "Winter Festival" instead of Christmas, then you are not only an idiot but also a douche.

If you don't respect your elders and raise your children not to do so as well, you are an asshole.

Now, GoSox said he doesn't do many of the things on that list. 4 of the 10 things (40% of the list for the math challenged) I feel every American should do and if you don't, I don't consider you an American. The other 3 things are just basic things every decent person should do. The final 3 I guess you can qualify as redneck stuff.

I think you are confusing "American" with, perhaps, "Patriotic".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
I think you are confusing "American" with, perhaps, "Patriotic".

I consider being patriotic being one of the qualities that make people American. So if you are not patriotic at all, IMO, how can you be American?

You know something, the troops are not infallible, trust me. They shouldn't be some kind of sacred cow, where if you criticize the military for doing something a certain way (or for just flat-out f***ing it up which quite frankly happens more often than I care to admit) or protest war (not physically or verbally assaulting troops, but protesting the war itself) makes you less patriotic. That is bulls***.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
You know something, the troops are not infallible, trust me. They shouldn't be some kind of sacred cow, where if you criticize the military for doing something a certain way (or for just flat-out f***ing it up which quite frankly happens more often than I care to admit) or protest war (not physically or verbally assaulting troops, but protesting the war itself) makes you less patriotic. That is bulls***.

Where did I say protesting war makes you less patriotic? It's one thing if you're against the war, it's another if you don't treat the sevicemen of this country with respect.

Criticizing the military for doing their job or recruiting soldiers is stupid, but criticizing them for murdering innocent women and children for the hell of it (or something along those lines) is justified (even though in situations like that it isn't the militaries fault but rather a squad's fault).

But any serviceman of this country who risked their lives for us should be treated with great respect. And to be honest, when I'm talking showing our armed forces respect, I'm mainly talking about the servicemen from the Revolutionary War, 1812, the Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc. Not that our current servicemen aren't heroes and derserve great amounts of respect, but I feel the others are the greatest heroes this country will ever have.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
Where did I say protesting war makes you less patriotic? It's one thing if you're against the war, it's another if you don't treat the sevicemen of this country with respect.

Criticizing the military for doing their job or recruiting soldiers is stupid, but criticizing them for murdering innocent women and children for the hell of it (or something along those lines) is justified (even though in situations like that it isn't the militaries fault but rather a squad's fault).

But any serviceman of this country who risked their lives for us should be treated with great respect. And to be honest, when I'm talking showing our armed forces respect, I'm mainly talking about the servicemen from the Revolutionary War, 1812, the Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc. Not that our current servicemen aren't heroes and derserve great amounts of respect, but I feel the others are the greatest heroes this country will ever have.

I didn't say you said that. I'm just tired of hearing it and it was headed in that way again. But actually I really don't like defining what other people need to be in order to be considered "Patriotic." That's actually a pretty thinly veiled propaganda word that reeks of modern-day McCarthyism.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I didn't say you said that. I'm just tired of hearing it and it was headed in that way again. But actually I really don't like defining what other people need to be in order to be considered "Patriotic." That's actually a pretty thinly veiled propaganda word that reeks of modern-day McCarthyism.

Then why'd you say it?

Oh well, lets just end it here and get back to talking about rednecks...

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
Then why'd you say it?

Oh well, lets just end it here and get back to talking about rednecks...

Because I can. Didn't you notice it wasn't a direct reply to you? Oh well. Yes back to rednecks.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
I consider being patriotic being one of the qualities that make people American. So if you are not patriotic at all, IMO, how can you be American?

I always thought an American was a citizen of the United States of America.