YASNY and I, Just a couple of rednecks . . .

Texsox

I'm absolutely not a Christian and I couldn't give two s***s about if under God is in our Pledge or if there are Ten Commandments someplace. The great men who created this country were Christians, it is part of our heritage as a nation, I don't believe that the Christian faith directly dicates what our government does. I don't know why people can't just ignore it. If you're offended by under God, don't you think our forefathers would be offended by the lack of it?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
I always thought an American was a citizen of the United States of America.

That will serve as a technically correct definition. That's about it, though.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
First time I've been in the 'Buster in months, but when I saw 'YASNY' in the thread title .... well, you know.

Welcome Back :cheers

Oddly, I wouldn't take a redneck calling me un-American offensive. I would actually take it as a compliment. But I'm just a left-wing California nut job abortionist haha

I've not used the term 'redneck' for about two years, since YAS expressed strong objection and insult to my use of the term here. I was not referring directly to him, of course. Rather, I think used the term in the course of a thread about religion, evolution education, and whatnot.

Being an American certainly should include respect for ideals the nation was founded on, including the Constitution. Separation of Church and State derives from the First Amendment, was further clarified by Thomas Jefferson in subsequent writings, and has been upheld by US courts at all levels up to and including the US Supreme Court.

BearSox, you are the one in this thread who does not understand what it means to be American. Just as YAS was offended by my past poor choice of the word redneck, it appears there are a number of posters here, including myself, who are offended by your myopic characterization of what is and is not American. Or Christian, for that matter, as respect for the beliefs of others is a central tenet of most flavors of Christianity.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
I've not used the term 'redneck' for about two years, since YAS expressed strong objection and insult to my use of the term here. I was not referring directly to him, of course. Rather, I think used the term in the course of a thread about religion, evolution education, and whatnot.

Being an American certainly should include respect for ideals the nation was founded on, including the Constitution. Separation of Church and State derives from the First Amendment, was further clarified by Thomas Jefferson in subsequent writings, and has been upheld by US courts at all levels up to and including the US Supreme Court.

BearSox, you are the one in this thread who does not understand what it means to be American. Just as YAS was offended by my past poor choice of the word redneck, it appears there are a number of posters here, including myself, who are offended by your myopic characterization of what is and is not American. Or Christian, for that matter, as respect for the beliefs of others is a central tenet of most flavors of Christianity.

Good post. You all know me well enough in the Filibuster to say that I'm generally a conservative on most issues, but I'll tell you, while I personally think that I would do most of what that list stated, I'm not going ot criticize people for not doing certain things on that list, because it's their right not to, and it doesn't make them any less "American".

I stand, but don't put my hand over my heart for God Bless America at baseball games. Why not? BECAUSE IT IS NOT THE NATIONAL ANTHEM. Ugh. And frankly it bothers me when people try to substitute it for the national anthem, or put it on the same level. Just no.