8/7 Sox v Tigers, 7:11, WCIU

witesoxfan

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 03:49 AM)
Yea, I didn't quite get that. His run isn't that important if it's the 9th IMO because you still have a runner on and the tying run at the plate. But since we had another inning, his run was important because one swing of the bat in the 9th and it's tied up!

Let me clarify...you only send him if you know for sure he's going to score (standing up without a throw). With one out, you absolutely can't afford to make an out at the plate. It was incredibly similar to a game at Detroit earlier in the year when CQ got thrown out at home down 2 in the 8th with 1 out.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
Yea, I didn't quite get that. His run isn't that important if it's the 9th IMO because you still have a runner on and the tying run at the plate. But since we had another inning, his run was important because one swing of the bat in the 9th and it's tied up!

Interesting because, presumably, that's why Cox sent him. If it were the 9th, I bet he doesn't. Whatever -- it was dumb.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
Why leave Russell in? With a 2 run game, this should be Logan vs Granderson

Just going off the way he pitched in the 8th...and the fact that Logan has been pretty terrible recently.

If Logan gives up yet another hit to a lefty, Ozzie would be getting dogged for that, too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 03:51 AM)
Just going off the way he pitched in the 8th...and the fact that Logan has been pretty terrible recently.

If Logan gives up yet another hit to a lefty, Ozzie would be getting dogged for that, too.

Kalapse or others...what were Russell's splits in the minors? Seems like he doesn't have the type of pitches needed to retire lefties consistently.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
What's easier to hit...an 85ish mph pitch you're looking for a 98 mph heater? He throws that pitch 40-50% of the time.

If there were 2 out and he was on first or second he might be pinch run for. No reason to do it with one out. Its not worth losing the bat with the small, although it happened, chance that there will be a play a fast runner can advance 3 bases. He shouldn't have been sent, bottom line, and if everything remained status quo and he wasn't stupidly sent home, he would have eventually scored.

btw, I responded to the wrong post.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
How do you sit on a change when Rodney has been throwing 97-98 recently?

He has a great change, but you you always have to look fastball first and then adjust...if you look for the change, then you're in real trouble.

DARN!!!

Thought that ball was going to get down the tie it up...Ramirez had the right approach. Just wish we hadn't left so many runners on earlier in the game when Griffey, Ramirez, Cabrera and Quentin had their opportunities to make it closer.

Geeking up for a 97 mph fastball, then adjusting to the 82mph straight change is impossible. You pick one of the pitches. And you look foolish on the other if its thrown. You pick the change, because he throws it a lot.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I still don't understand why we removed Joey from the 3rd base coach position. He took risks and got burned by good plays, but nothing really dumb like Cox does.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Let me clarify...you only send him if you know for sure he's going to score (standing up without a throw). With one out, you absolutely can't afford to make an out at the plate. It was incredibly similar to a game at Detroit earlier in the year when CQ got thrown out at home down 2 in the 8th with 1 out.

Thats why a pinch runner like Wise was important because he would've scored without a play. Damn it Maggs.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Geeking up for a 97 mph fastball, then adjusting to the 82mph straight change is impossible. You pick one of the pitches. And you look foolish on the other if its thrown. You pick the change, because he throws it a lot.

Ramirez has the fastest hands on this team...it's not even close. He knows how to make adjustments from pitch to pitch better than most of our MLB veterans...which is pretty amazing, considering the lower level of competition in Cuba (more or less A ball).