8/7 Games - Thursday

scenario

Charlotte @ Syracuse

Knights lose 2-0.

A well pitched complete game for Wes Whisler...

8 innings; 2 runs on 8 hits; 3 K's; and 2 BB's.

Owens went 2-4 raising his BA to .274... starting to get into respectable range.

Getz 1-3 with a walk.

Cook went 1-3. He's 5-12 with 4 walks in the 4 games since he's returned to the lineup.

Montgomery @ Birmingham

Barons lose 2-0.

McCulloch with a very nice outing.

6 innings; 2 runs on 7 hits; 7 K's; and 2 BBs.

But the Barons couldn't muster up much offense against David Price.

Potomac at Winston-Salem

Warthogs win 4-1

Matt Long with another impressive start. (He's been very solid in his last 10 games.)

6 2/3 innings; 1 run on 6 hits; 8 K's; and 2 BBs.

Retherford 2-4 with a homerun raising his season average to .294

Salvadore Sanchez 2-3 with a double.

Shelby, Mollenhauer, and Persichina each 1-4.

Greenville @ Kannapolis

Kanny wins 4-2

Shirek... 6 innings; 1 run on 8 hits; 6K's; and 1 BB.

Oney Guillen 1-3

Lots of other guys with 1 hit each.

Ronnie Gaines (who?) with 2-hits.

Casper @ Great Falls

GF wins 1-0.

Dexter Carter... 6 innings; 0 runs on 3 hits; 6 K's; and 1 BB.

Carter (4-1) lowers his season ERA to 2.59

Lyndon Estill 2-4 with a double.

Bristol @ Elizabethton (Twins)

Bristol lost 3-1

Steven Upchurch... 5 innings; 0 runs on 1 hit; 5 K's; and 3 BB's.

First baseman Jorge Castillo goes 3-5 raising his season average to .377.

Castillo is now leading the Appalachian League in hitting.

Edited by scenario

Team Records/Standings

Charlotte 54-66 and 10 games out of 1st in the INT South.

Birmingham is 22-24 in the second half and 7.5 games out in the SOU South.

(They went 40-30 in the first half and won the division.)

Winston-Salem is 26-20 in the second half; 6.5 games out of first in the CAR Southern.

Kanny is 21-22 in the second half; 7 games out of 1st in the Sally Southern.

(The I's were 31-39 in the first half.)

Great Falls is 5-5 in the second half in the Pioneer North division.

(They were 19-19 in the first half.)

Bristol is 24-19... 2.5 games out of first in the APP West.

(Behind the Elizabethton Twins.)

Edited by scenario

Hogs 26-20 and 6.5 out? Geez. Myrtle Beach is 32-13, that's pretty fake. Of course it's the Braves though. Post Schuerholz the Major League team hasn't been as good, but the scouts are still excellent.

Also, someone is going to have to tell me how Wes Whisler is so freaking successful this year. Does this guy have the best intangibles ever, is his stuff severely underrated, or is he extremely lucky? I can't imagine it's a lot of the 3rd option because he has succeeded at a relatively regular basis this season.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 01:27 AM)
Hogs 26-20 and 6.5 out? Geez. Myrtle Beach is 32-13, that's pretty fake. Of course it's the Braves though. Post Schuerholz the Major League team hasn't been as good, but the scouts are still excellent.

Also, someone is going to have to tell me how Wes Whisler is so freaking successful this year. Does this guy have the best intangibles ever, is his stuff severely underrated, or is he extremely lucky? I can't imagine it's a lot of the 3rd option because he has succeeded at a relatively regular basis this season.

well, if Richard could succeed at Charlotte (and before him Heath Phillips), I have a feeling that the AAA international league struggles vs. soft tosing lefties who work fast (I am assuming Whistler does this) and throw strikes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whisler has some sort of hitch in his delievery thats throws some hitters off.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
well, if Richard could succeed at Charlotte (and before him Heath Phillips), I have a feeling that the AAA international league struggles vs. soft tosing lefties who work fast (I am assuming Whistler does this) and throw strikes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whisler has some sort of hitch in his delievery thats throws some hitters off.

Whisler isn't a soft tosser. Yes, he does have a slight hitch.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)

Remind me why Clayton Richard should be considered a soft-tosser?? He averaged around 91mph with his fastball while he was up here. Had several 93s... and even popped up to 95 on a couple. (Stats reported by Inside Edge scouting service... not the TV radar gun.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
Not a soft tosser? I had thought he was. What is his velocity like?

He was advertised as a raw power arm when drafted. I saw him pitch a couple times down in A ball and that power arm was complete BS. That said he still had a decent enough fastball. Problem was he didn't have any other pitcher. And by decent I mean he could hit 90+ (he is not a 95MPH+ FB guy).

We must have worked some magic on Carter because whoever his coach at G-F is, Carter actually has some command.

I don't know much about Carter to be honest, but I remember hearing he has very good raw stuff but lacked command and that's why his numbers weren't so hot at Old Dominion. And from looking at his college numbers, that seems to be the case, as he had very good strike out numbers but his walk totals were way too high.

He and his college teammate Hudson are owning for G-F!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
We must have worked some magic on Carter because whoever his coach at G-F is, Carter actually has some command.

I don't know much about Carter to be honest, but I remember hearing he has very good raw stuff but lacked command and that's why his numbers weren't so hot at Old Dominion. And from looking at his college numbers, that seems to be the case, as he had very good strike out numbers but his walk totals were way too high.

He and his college teammate Hudson are owning for G-F!

Curt Hasler is the pitching coach at GF, Chris Cron is the manager.

Hasler was a pitcher drafted by the Sox, made his way up through the system in the late 80's with pretty good looking numbers... then pitched just 11 games in '91 at AAA and that was it. Maybe he was injured or something.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)

You mean every team in the league is the Chicago White Sox?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Curt Hasler is the pitching coach at GF, Chris Cron is the manager.

Hasler was a pitcher drafted by the Sox, made his way up through the system in the late 80's with pretty good looking numbers... then pitched just 11 games in '91 at AAA and that was it. Maybe he was injured or something.

Well, he's done a hell of a job with the Old Dominion guys. Both Hudson and Carter had control probelms in college, but so far they haven't really had any, and they are putting up better numbers than they ever had in college, and this is vs. tougher competition as well!

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 01:28 AM)
Rookie ball being tougher than college competition is questionable. Not to mention the hitters are using wood bats instead of metal.

Yeah, maybe if you play in a division with very tough competition, but this is Old Dominion. Just skimming through their schedule, they didn't really face any baseball power houses.