Loser

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
It's Detroit's season on the line, they had to come thru

Hopefully we see a home series vs Boston as a way to push us to a higher tier

Javier Vazquez is becoming a real drag on this team...he just can't seem to put up even a quality start.

No matter what stuff he has, he just can't seem to really pitch well when the pressure's on and the White Sox are in a pennant race. It would be nice to see us move Vazquez and Conteras, but I'm not sure how easy that will be. Then again, it seems like there's no shortage of GM's out there willing to take a chance on Javier. For some reason, all the strikeouts and "plus pitches" are counted more highly in Roto Leagues and administrative offices than his W-L record and inability to win big games. For whatever you want to say about Freddy Garcia, he seemed to come through more often when it was needed than Javier does, at least comparing their Sox careers.

Would have been nice to have had Dye out there...he had four homers in his career against Miner I think.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
Wasserman needs to get Knighted.

Not to defend Wasserman in general, but that pitch was about three inches off the ground. IMO, it was more of a great hit by Maggs than a bad pitch by Ehren.

Didn't see the game. Is Griffey looking poor in the field? Somebody alluded to it. Would have been very nice to sweep especially against Miner who ain't very good. Two out of three is fine, but the BoSox are coming to town. We better be ready to play. They are damn good as you all know.

OC and AJ 0-10 tonight? Yuk. Griffey an oh-fer. Javy not so great. Time to strap 'em up. Minnesota vs. the lousy Royals while we battle the BoSox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 04:36 AM)
Didn't see the game. Is Griffey looking poor in the field? Somebody alluded to it. Would have been very nice to sweep especially against Miner who ain't very good. Two out of three is fine, but the BoSox are coming to town. We better be ready to play. They are damn good as you all know.

OC and AJ 0-10 tonight? Yuk. Griffey an oh-fer. Javy not so great. Time to strap 'em up. Minnesota vs. the lousy Royals while we battle the BoSox.

Griffey Jr. is an absolute joke in the outfield.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)

Griffey looking poor in the batter's box, too.

Javy isn't the biggest waste of talent in the major leagues, but he's certainly up there. Watching him is so damn frusterating, almost as frusterating as watching Griffey in the field (yikes). Other than that though, whatever, we won the series and got back into 1st, let's get Boston tomorrow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
There was a study done the other day that said the Sox would give up 28 more runs the rest of the way with Griffey Jr. in the outfield than if they had a league average defender.

I'd almost just rather put him at 1st even though he's never played there, it can't be any worse. PK is starting to show signs though (FINALLY), so we want to play him as much as possible to see if that continues.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
There was a study done the other day that said the Sox would give up 28 more runs the rest of the way with Griffey Jr. in the outfield than if they had a league average defender.

That's pretty much 100% unjustifiable, even if true.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)

What was that same prediction for the difference between Mackowiak and Anderson in 2006? Pretty similar.

Well, with the way Konerko has played 1B and has "Frank Thomasitis" with throwing to second on pick-offs, you have to think about 1/4th to 1/3rd of those runs would be saved by having Swisher playing first over Paulie.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 03:46 AM)
That's pretty much 100% unjustifiable, even if true.

Completely agree with that, as I've never been a fan of defensive range stats (I don't buy that OC is a good defender). Anyways, I don't think it's a surprise that the opposition has 3 triples so far that have been hit at Griffey Jr.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
Completely agree with that, as I've never been a fan of defensive range stats (I don't buy that OC is a good defender). Anyways, I don't think it's a surprise that the opposition has 3 triples so far that have been hit at Griffey Jr.

Therein lies the problem with the White Sox. Look at the Twins' game the other day...not unlike Torii Hunter, Denard Span made a really good, athletic play on what would have been a game-changing (they would have given up their 3rd lead in 3 games) homer by Adrian Beltre. I swear, that balls goes out and Minnesota would be really hurting and be heading to KC 1 1/2 games back and searching for answers.

And the guy had 4 RBI's as well in the game. It's just frustrating we have guys named Contreras and Vazquez and they don't even seem to be the equivalent of Slowey, Perkins, Baker or Blackburn. Well, Jose was VERY good for stretches this season before breaking down...but his last 6-7 starts before going on the DL were pretty abysmal, especially at Wrigley.

At any rate, the Twins have Gomez, Span, Cuddyer, Kubel and D. Young. That has the looks of a VERY good outfield for years to come, barring major injuries. All of them are players in their prime or nearing their prime. Unfortunately, we only have Quentin who you could put in that same category.

The struggles of the pitching staff aren't all on Javier Vazquez. Right now they are an extremely inconsistent bunch and they all need to get their heads back in the game and start pitching like aces. And that measn all of them from Buerhle on down. We can't expect the offense to keep bailing these guys out.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:24 AM)
I just gotta add, that down 2 runs and only 1 out you do NOT send Thome to make the second out at the plate that inning. That is bad base coaching.

That was so insanely dumb, and I am pretty sure Cox knew it as soon as Thome turned the corner. You could see him saying "stupid, stupid" to himself after the play.

I dont knwo what the heck he was thinking. Cox waved his arm as Raburn fielded the ball, it wasnt like the ball was still skipping around