50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

45. Pablo Ozuna

ozuna05032.jpg

(4 of 27 lists - 46 points - highest ranking #5 rangercal)

bio by Texsox -

“Pablo Ozuna can play all three outfield positions and all four infield positions. General Manager Ken Williams has joked that he would consider playing Ozuna at catcher if needed.” From the wiki on Ozuna.

How can you not cheer for perhaps the most versatile player to ever don a White Sox uniform? Not a high draft pick, not gifted with outstanding size or speed. So he scraps and claws and finds a position on a MLB squad. Five teams in 10 years. But he plays and usually seems to be having fun doing it.

Perhaps his most memorable moment in baseball was during the 2005 ALCS as a pinch runner for AJ Pierzynski. After AJ advanced to first on a heads up play, the infamous dropped third strike (we do not need to go there) Ozuna came in, stole second, then scored the game winning run when Crede doubled off the wall.

The most memorable Pablo moment to me was the walk-off bunt single against he A's in 2006. The "Frank Thomas Returns" - Soxtalk Patio Party Game. Pablo spoiled two HRs served up by Jon Garland to the Big Hurt - and a squirrel ran around on the field for 15 minutes.

Good times.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

It is apparent that to become a fan favorite you do not necessarily need to be an everyday player. What I think comes into play is a connection. You cannot expect to be Jim Thome or Mark Buerhle, but somehow we can believe we could be Pablo Ozuna. (just sayin, he wasn't on my list)

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Pablo Ozuna embodies the ideal that the 2005 team was supposed to be. Hard-nosed, hard working, production despite a lack of top talent, clutch, good defender, do anything for victory. Grinder.

The crazy thing is, he was even better in 2006.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)
The squirrel story and the Bobby Jenks warm-up story are two of my favorite funny baseball stories in recent years, and both are from Pablo. Gotta love him.

Refresh me, if you will.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Refresh me, if you will.

I don't have a link or anything, but my basic recollection is... Bobby needed someone to warm him up pre-inning in a game, and the catchers were both busy for some reason. Pablo, being Pablo, says "I'll do it!", and goes out there to warm up Jenks. Bobby makes his first practice pitch which whizzes by Pablo's head at 95 mph and sails all the way to the backstop, with Pablo never getting a glove on it. Pablo stands up, looks sheepish, and walks back to the dugout.