Speed Limits

StrangeSox

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
That's bulls***. Why should I have to take the time out of MY hands to fight someone else's ticket becuase of a flawed ticket? What if this happens in another county? What if a parent down in Central or Southern Illinois loans a car to their kid for a trip to Chicago and they get one? You think it's "easy" for the parent to drive 6-8 hours just to come in and say, "that's not me in the picture?" Hiring a lawyer or burning the gas is still a big waste of money one way or another.

The sad thing is most people won't care and will just pay the fine, or go into court asking for supervision on it (more $$ for the government) just becuase they don't want to deal with the hassle of the courts.

I am wondering what makes these tickets different than parking tickets? If you loan your car to someone and they park it illegaly, don't you get a ticket? Or can you go to court and prove you loaned the car to someone and then they get the ticket? I thought the camera tickets were not counted the same way as a regular ticket?

And let's look at the technology:

Radar? Gold standard, tough to fight based on radar was faulty.

Cameras? Again, here is the pic of the vehicle and license plate. Perhaps someone may write down the wrong license plate number, but I imagine that would be rare.

Driver? Again, much like parking tickets, it would not matter. Handle it the same way you would a parking ticket. Hey bud, you parked in a no parking zone, you owe me $1,000,000 for the fine.

Hey bud, the camera got ya, you owe me $1,000,000 for the fine. But I guess if you have the type of friends who would refuse to pay, that a problem. personally I do not think I would loan my car to someone like that.

I guess that speeding in a construction zone isn't as dangerous as parking illegally, so maybe applying the same sort of system to something as serious as illegal parking and minor as speeding in a construction zone, may be flawed.

And I agree, unless the road has been altered with no shoulders, etc, there should be changeable signs that lower the limit only when workers are present. My son received a speeding ticket in a construction zone the same day they were taking down the barricades. Basically the entire road was done, no workers or equipment anywhere.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:36 AM)
Same with a parking ticket. How would you handle it if someone you loaned your car to parked it illegally and received a ticket? Wouldn't the same thing work for camera tickets? How is this different?

First off, parking tickets arent moving violations, and you receive them at the time of the crime, not in the mail weeks later.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
First off, parking tickets arent moving violations, and you receive them at the time of the crime, not in the mail weeks later.

Yeah, like the tollway violation notice I got in March from 5 years ago, for a car I haven't ownerd in 7 years.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Yeah, like the tollway violation notice I got in March from 5 years ago, for a car I haven't ownerd in 7 years.

Well according to Tex thats ok because they can make mistakes on parking tickets too.