50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

43. Chet Lemon

3a52_1_b.JPG

(3 of 27 lists - 50 points - highest ranking #1 greg775)

bio by Texsox and others-

When Knightni mentioned Chet Lemon, my first thought was a head first dive into 1st base. The 1977 Southside Hitmen were the team that solidified my love of all things White Sox. I started driving that summer and the long hour-plus drive from the far northern suburbs flew by with anticipation of singing along with Nancy Faust after every home run.

The big sluggers on the team, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble, and Erik Soderholm all were receiving bigger headlines, and home run curtain calls, but the ever hustling Chet Lemon received some of the biggest ovations for his play in center field. I remember him for his defense on a team that promoted the offense. I also remember Lemon getting plucked at a regular clip. Checking the stats, he led the league four times in this bruising category.

It was September 9, 1975 when Chet Lemon, a mere babe of 20, played his first major league game--at third base. He was in awe of Comiskey Park, the stadium looming over him, as he took his position for the Chicago White Sox. Growing up in Los Angeles, he'd been to Dodger Stadium countless times to see heroes like Willie Mays blow into town, but to be on a major league field ... there was nothing like it.

Lemon was so excited, in fact, that he cut over on one grounder to shortstop, snagged the ball in front of young star Bucky Dent, and practically collided with White Sox second baseman Jorge Orta, merely minding his own business on the right side of the infield.

It didn't take a genius to see that you couldn't squeeze "Juice" into the infield.

"After that game, (White Sox manager) Chuck Tanner smiled and put his arm around me," Lemon says with a chuckle. "We walked back up the dugout steps, and he pointed out to center field." Comiskey Park was particularly cavernous in the late 1970s, stretching 445 feet straightaway to the fence. "See there, Chet? You can have all the room in the world to run. There's no one to get in your way out there."

After a career manning the hot corner, Lemon needed more room to roam, so a center fielder was born. And what a fielder he was.

It was a sad day when Lemon got dealt to Detroit.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

I remember watching the Sox on 44 with my Aunt Rose and falling in love with Chet Lemon. I was only seven but I wanted so bad to be like Chet Lemon. The day the Sox traded him away was just horrible. I look back now and even with the 2005 , my favorite times was watching my all time favorite player, Chet Lemon.

The thing I loved about Chet was that no matter how routine the fly ball, he'd manage to lose his hat in pursuit of it. Don't know if he had an ill fitting hat, lop-sided head, or if (as I suspect) he knocked it off to make the play look more difficult. Whatever the reason, he was a one of my original Sox favorites.

I loved Chet as well. I copied the way he got under a fly ball in cf. He'd tap his glove on his knee. The guy was one of my all time favorites.He hit that ball hard. I saw him make some incredible catches in Comiskey, just incredible.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
I remember being upset when they traded him for Steve Kemp, I thought there goes our only All-Star.

The one that killed me was when they dealt Tony Bernazard to Seattle (even though I loved Juice Cruz), then he ends up killing us in Cleveland for the next 4 years.

I liked Chet Lemon and all. He was a good ballplayer, but honestly ... and I'm not trying to be negative here, just stating a fact ... the thing I remember most about Chet Lemon was his baserunning gaffes.

Chet was a love him or not kind of guy. I had a friend who simply hated him. And he was my favorite Sox of all time.