Who would you give up for another RH reliever?

caulfield12

Of course, a lot depends on the quality of that reliever...you would have to think it would be "veteran" reliever with a multi-million, multi-year contract, not someone like a Fuentes, Sherrill or Putz that would result in multiple claims by other teams. Someone like Chad Bradford or Denys Baez (I'm talking money, not necessarily quality here)

1) Josh Fields

2) Aaron Poreda

3) Juan Uribe

4) Silverio or J. Martinez

5) Chris Getz or Shelby

6) Jerry Owens or Brian Anderson

Obviously, it would be nice if we could just give them Broadway, McCullough (sad to say about two former first rounders), Haeger, etc., but that doesn't seem to be reality with all the competition for the same thing. Maybe, in some ways, it's even trickier to find a consistent 8th inning set-up guy who can get the big outs...it seems capable closers are easier to identify. Maybe someone like Brandon Allen would draw some interest, too.

Logically, if Carrasco keeps struggling like he did the last two Fridays (I know he did well in the 2nd Tigers' game)....then the logical choice is Adam Russell for that position.

After that, you're pulling straws, taking someone like Link from the minors.

Edited by caulfield12

Chad Bradford was claimed already by the Rays, but yeah it could be nice to add a reliever. I dont know why we would deal Fields, and that's an unbias statement. Crede isnt resuming at AAA til next week and if we let him walk blah blah with that situation.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
Chad Bradford was claimed already by the Rays, but yeah it could be nice to add a reliever. I dont know why we would deal Fields, and that's an unbias statement. Crede isnt resuming at AAA til next week and if we let him walk blah blah with that situation.

Well, it seems like there are some pretty legit concerns that both Crede and Linebrink might be out for the rest of the season...from everything we're hearing and NOT hearing.

Who would have thunk that Juan Uribe and Alexei Ramirez would be two very key starters in our infield...and that they'd be leading the White Sox in the heat of a pennant race in August?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
Well, it seems like there are some pretty legit concerns that both Crede and Linebrink might be out for the rest of the season...from everything we're hearing and NOT hearing.

Who would have thunk that Juan Uribe and Alexei Ramirez would be two very key starters in our infield...and that they'd be leading the White Sox in the heat of a pennant race in August?

Juan really looks relaxed out there now. He is contributing nicely and I like to see him succeed, it just sucks that he has to be benched to show how decent-good he can be.

Alexei just amazes me, the guy just doesnt stop. Every time I think he has met his match and pitchers are going to start doing this and that to him, he adjusts. And yet he still maintains the same aggressiveness throughout each and every at bat, he is just so much fun to watch.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Josh Fields, Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens would all have to pass through waivers before being traded. None would make it through.

Well, I think Jerry Owens would have a 50/50 chance of making it through, due to his results this season and his advanced age.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:46 PM)
Well, I think Jerry Owens would have a 50/50 chance of making it through, due to his results this season and his advanced age.

I was thinking this as well, there probably wouldn't be much interest.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
I was thinking this as well, there probably wouldn't be much interest.

Just looking through the list of names of relievers...it's all MEH!!!!

Could anyone get excited about acquiring Doug Brocail, Luis Ayala or Tyler Walker? Ron Mahay?

What about Heath Bell, Taylor Buchholz (he would cost a lot), Jim Johnson, Scott Downs, Ramon Ramirez (KC), Will Ohman, Sean Green (SEA), Jesse Carlson or David Weathers (I know his name has been mentioned many times)???

These are all among the current MLB leaders in "holds," meaning they're pitching in the 7th and 8th innings of games in which their team is leading.

I don't think we should worry about RH versus LH at this point. We just need to find a quality reliever from either side to back up Dotel and Thornton.

I would say that, as sad as it is, track stars are generally sought after because managers love guys who have the potential to hit .300 and get on at a .360 clip, even if said potential is, quite honestly, non-existent.

I'd have a hard time seeing Owens clear waivers and what's worse is that his value is next to nothing. If there were any player I would consider never putting on waivers it's Owens.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 01:48 AM)
I would say that, as sad as it is, track stars are generally sought after because managers love guys who have the potential to hit .300 and get on at a .360 clip, even if said potential is, quite honestly, non-existent.

I'd have a hard time seeing Owens clear waivers and what's worse is that his value is next to nothing. If there were any player I would consider never putting on waivers it's Owens.

I guess it's somewhat similar to the Renaldo Nehemiah's or Alexander Wright's of the NFL. Except it's a little easier to take a track athlete and make him a WR than to take an athlete (see Michael Jordan) and make him into a .300 hitter. Neither usually works very well. I also remember all the hype about Anderson Gomes, and I don't think he will ever make it out of A ball, let alone come close to the White Sox roster.

Still, the White Sox should make signing or identifying more "speed" players a priority...because Minnesota does it well. If it's not a "little" deal like bringing in Jason Tyner, it's drafting athletic players like Jacque Jones, Torii Hunter, Denard Span, or trading for D. Young and Carlos Gomez. Thank god that homefield advantage won't be quite so dramatic beginning in 2010.

The key to making a deal isn't the talent involved. It wouldn't take a top prospect to make a wavier deal. It's just winning the claim on the player. A guy like Chad Bradford would've upgraded the sox bullpen at little cost in terms of talent. The biggest thing was his $3 + mill. contract for 2009. I don't know why he wasn't looked at, unless the sox still think they can get an upgrade better than Bradford [via waiver deal or in the minors when rosters expand in Sept.]