Twins Watch Thread 2008

Brian

Indians blow 8-1 lead. Nice. Let's hope Cliff Lee can get it done tomorrow. Jiminy Christmas we should have been up 2.5 - effectively crossing 2 days off the calendar - as of tonight.

Now its Guardado and Nathan and good night Cleveland. Highly disappointing. This would have been the kind of loss that might have totally knocked the Twins off kilter. Mauer already talked about them "pressing" yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Sox have the Fifth Starter Forfeit tomorrow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Indians blow 8-1 lead. Nice. Let's hope Cliff Lee can get it done tomorrow. Jiminy Christmas we should have been up 2.5 - effectively crossing 2 days off the calendar - as of tonight.

Now its Guardado and Nathan and good night Cleveland. Highly disappointing. This would have been the kind of loss that might have totally knocked the Twins off kilter. Mauer already talked about them "pressing" yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Sox have the Fifth Starter Forfeit tomorrow.

Events have overtaken my last post. This is what you get when you write a post longer than 20 words.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
BlackBesty, didn't you saw about a week ago the season was over, and the Sox were just keeping first warm for the Twins?

And the Twins absolutely and resolutely refuse to win the division. It's actually remarkable. Had they even played remotely decent ball they'd be 3-4 games in front.

Compare the two lineups right now:

Span > Cabrera

Casilla > AJ

Mauer = Dye (more OBP, less power)

Morneau > Thome

Kubel > Konerko

Young > Griffey (the weak griffey we have)

Buscher = Ramirez

Punto = Swisher

Gomez = Uribe (although

The Twins' lineup right now is better than the Sox - especially the Sox lineup w/o Konerko - and the pitching probably favors the Twins w/ Liriano (who gagged tonight) and Slowey leading the way.

Nathan blew 3 saves...that's the difference right now.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
And the Twins absolutely and resolutely refuse to win the division. It's actually remarkable. Had they even played remotely decent ball they'd be 3-4 games in front.

Span > Cabrera

Casilla > AJ

Morneau > Thome

Kubel > Konerko

Buscher = Ramirez

Punto = Swisher

Gomez = Uribe (although

The Twins' lineup right now is better than the Sox - especially the Sox lineup w/o Konerko - and the pitching probably favors the Twins w/ Liriano (who gagged tonight) and Slowey leading the way.

In what world is Kubel better than Konerko? Paul has struggled mightily this year. However, I think he has definitely shown that he is a much better hitter than Kubel.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)

Span > Cabrera

Casilla > AJ

Morneau > Thome

Kubel > Konerko

Buscher = Ramirez

Punto = Swisher

Gomez = Uribe (although

How exactly is Buscher = Ramirez. 4 homers to 18. OPS higher for Ramirez. How about the 13 XBH for Buscher and the 41 for Ramirez.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
In what world is Kubel better than Konerko? Paul has struggled mightily this year. However, I think he has definitely shown that he is a much better hitter than Kubel.

Over the course of their careers, Konerko >> Kubel.

This year (going into tonight):

Kubel: .277 / .340 / .463 - .803 OPS

Konerko: .244 / .354 / .415 - .769 OPS

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
How exactly is Buscher = Ramirez. 4 homers to 18. OPS higher for Ramirez. How about the 13 XBH for Buscher and the 41 for Ramirez.

Ramirez .300 /.320 /.477 = .797 OPS = 105 OPS+

Buscher .304 / .344 /.409 = .753 OPS = 103 OPS+

Park effects inflate Alexei's numbers + OBP is more valuable than SLG when it comes to scoring.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Congrats on winning the 08 AL Central title

If only there weren't 3 games in Minny I might actually believe that a little bit, but let's be honest, I think people would be far more surprised to see us win 2 games than you sweep us. So long as you stay within 3 games by next Tuesday, you have a chance, and a good chance. I'm not even kidding. YOu know how bad we are up there.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
Ramirez .300 /.320 /.477 = .797 OPS = 105 OPS+

Buscher .304 / .344 /.409 = .753 OPS = 103 OPS+

Park effects inflate Alexei's numbers + OBP is more valuable than SLG when it comes to scoring.

Well I guess you are just ignoring that one batter has 13 XBH and the other has 41. I guess 41 and 13 are close.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Well I guess you are just ignoring that one batter has 13 XBH and the other has 41. I guess 41 and 13 are close.

Ummm...Buscher has played in less than 1/2 the games Alexei has. Double his XBH and you get 26. The 15 extra base hits are largely offset by the fact that Buscher would have 2.5 times the number of walks if they played the same number of games.

That's why OPS+ is a good measure - it corrects for park effects and the relative value of OBP vs. SLG.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Ummm...Buscher has played in less than 1/2 the games Alexei has. Double his XBH and you get 26. The 15 extra base hits are largely offset by the fact that Buscher would have 2.5 times the number of walks if they played the same number of games.

That's why OPS+ is a good measure - it corrects for park effects and the relative value of OBP vs. SLG.

Projecting what a player "may" put up is bunk. If projections based on partial seasons were good, then Josh Fields would be making our fireworks budget go up quite a bit.