Twins Watch Thread 2008

Brian

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Projecting what a player "may" put up is bunk. If projections based on partial seasons were good, then Josh Fields would be making our fireworks budget go up quite a bit.

OPS+ is not a projection. It's a real stat based on real performance.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)

I was talking more about

Ummm...Buscher has played in less than 1/2 the games Alexei has. Double his XBH and you get 26. The 15 extra base hits are largely offset by the fact that Buscher would have 2.5 times the number of walks if they played the same number of games.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)

Fields' OPS+ was 101 last season. Buscher's is 103 this season. That isn't much of a difference. We all know how Fields turned out this year. The exact same thing could happen to Buscher next season.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Is it me or is Nathan struggling recently?

From the highlights I've seen his command doesn't seem the same. Maybe just me.

Yes he is in my opinion. Hitters are finally realizing that he throws a lot of balls. Earlier in the season and in previous seasons he would get hitters to chase his nasty stuff, not they are laying off his pitches more often.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
The Twins' lineup right now is better than the Sox - especially the Sox lineup w/o Konerko - and the pitching probably favors the Twins w/ Liriano (who gagged tonight) and Slowey leading the way.

Nathan blew 3 saves...that's the difference right now.

The White Sox actually have competent relievers at the back of their bullpen. Even Nathan looked terrible tonight. Ozzie can generally count on Jenks, Thornton, and Carrasco, and Linebrink and MacDougal have both been very solid over the past month. Dotel needs a breather, but the Sox have bullpen arms that don't blow up. The Twins bullpen is just absolute garbage and, in their respective roles, there isn't one Twins bullpen arm I would take over a Sox bullpen arm.

The Sox pitching, based on that fact alone, is superior to the Twins pitching.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
I don't have the Season Pass and only get to see box scores, so I'm curious, what's been wrong with Nathan? Is his defense letting him down or has he lost something in his pitches?

Jimbo and I have said that he rarely throws strikes, he gets hitters to chase his stuff. That isn't happening as much as it used to. The defense has let him down a couple of times in the last month or so, plus he threw a game losing error to 3rd base against Oakland. It could also be he's losing confidence in his stuff. I mostly think it's the control issue. It almost seems like most hitters try to take a strike from him, and it's been working.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Jimbo and I have said that he rarely throws strikes, he gets hitters to chase his stuff. That isn't happening as much as it used to. The defense has let him down a couple of times in the last month or so, plus he threw a game losing error to 3rd base against Oakland. It could also be he's losing confidence in his stuff. I mostly think it's the control issue. It almost seems like most hitters try to take a strike from him, and it's been working.

I read that as "despite his recent woes, he will have zero problems with the Sox hitters."

Saw this quote on a Twins board and thought it was funny...

Gardy comes out of the dugout with Mijares on the mound and I yelled, 'Please not Guerrier!!' Then they flash to the bullpen doors and here comes good ole meat. I threw my remote across the room knowing we were done. Why can we all see this yet Gardy sticks by him despite his struggles game after game after game after game............. All I could picture was Gardy going to the bullpen phone and dialing up the local Buffalo Wild Wings while asking, 'Hey guys, who should I bring in?' Guerrier has become Mahoney.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)

Gardy comes out of the dugout with Mijares on the mound and I yelled, 'Please not Guerrier!!' Then they flash to the bullpen doors and here comes good ole meat. I threw my remote across the room knowing we were done. Why can we all see this yet Gardy sticks by him despite his struggles game after game after game after game............. All I could picture was Gardy going to the bullpen phone and dialing up the local Buffalo Wild Wings while asking, 'Hey guys, who should I bring in?' Guerrier has become Mahoney.

sounds eerily similar to another board I know and love

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)

Right now Guerrier is nearly equal to Boone Logan. I am always excited to see Guerrier come in and pitch.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/guerrma02.shtml

Matt Guerrier

Matthew Olson Guerrier

Bats Right, Throws Right

Height 6' 3", Weight 185 lb.

School Kent State University

Debut June 17, 2004

Born August 2, 1978 in Cleveland, OH

Drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 10th round of the 1999 amateur draft. Player signed June 17, 1999.

/singing/ Secret agent man.....secret agent man /singing/