Crede has epidural

Princess Dye

It might be, but I think its bigger news that Boras was quoted as saying KW and Ozzie are holding back Crede for contract reasons. Haha nice job knowing your client Boras if thats the case. Whatever let him walk

Link conf.

The mystery of Joe Crede and his bothersome back was cleared up prior to Friday's series opener with Boston.

Actually, it was more of an upgrade from completely murky, but some concrete information definitely was provided in relation to Crede's current stint on the disabled list, retroactive to July 22. Crede, who has not played during his Minor League rehab assignment since last Friday, received an epidural on Thursday to help get rid of the discomfort in his back.

Crede and the White Sox were waiting for the epidural to take effect, and he could begin his rehab again in the next week.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
This sounds very bad. I've never heard of epidural after surgery. I've heard of epidurals as a treatment option to try to avoid surgery.

Where's a our resident Dr. Ptatc?

I'm not Dr. Ptatc, but having done a lot of research on the topic I'll add what I know from that and the doc's. Simply a form of pain management, the "block", level of medication, that Joe would be getting can't be very substantial as if it were he would experience loss sensation, muscle power, and posibly loss of function of the sympathetic nervous system, which controls blood pressure. A level at which he would still be able to function normally would only give relief for, at best, several hours. And in almost all cases the patient is recommended to be confined to a bed because side effects can be life threatening - mainly paralysis of the diaphragm, and loss of function to the heart itself, causing heart rate and blood pressure drop.

I don't really understand why he would be getting one unless he is about to have more surgery. Anything else said other than "Joe had an epidural..."?

I might be thinking of something else. I know there are epidurals that many women get during labor, I think this is what you might be describing Steff. Strictly for pain.

I also know that a common treatment for disc injuries is to inject the area with a strong, direct blast of steroids, or anti inflamatories, I think. These are the ones that take a few days before one can see what results, if any they have had. My Dr. suggested it to me and called it an 'epidural'.

This might clarify things. Still, this doesn't sound good. Why is it flaring up to the point of needing one? That is not good, especially post-op.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/inje...in-and-sciatica

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
I might be thinking of something else. I know there are epidurals that many women get during labor, I think this is what you might be describing Steff. Strictly for pain.

I also know that a common treatment for disc injuries is to inject the area with a strong, direct blast of steroids, or anti inflamatories, I think. These are the ones that take a few days before one can see what results, if any they have had. My Dr. suggested it to me and called it an 'epidural'.

I've had both - one for Bri and several with steroids for a herniated disk thanks to Bri. And you're right they are 2 different animals, but the feeling of relief, in different ways, was immediate. Also, if he's getting a steroid epidural "all of a sudden" that is suspicious. They are part of ongoing treatment plans almost always with some type of physical therapy, and I've not heard of him having one previous to this or any therapy - though admittedly I've been a bit preoccupied this season.

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
I've had both - one for Bri and several with steroids for a herniated disk thanks to Bri. And you're right they are 2 different animals, but the feeling of relief, in different ways, was immediate. Also, if he's getting a steroid epidural "all of a sudden" that is suspicious. They are part of ongoing treatment plans almost always with some type of physical therapy, and I've not heard of him having one previous to this or any therapy - though admittedly I've been a bit preoccupied this season.

Yep, you get the shots and you do rehab and THEN, if that doesn't help, as last resort you go under the knife.

Congrats on Bri, but it sounds like it went kinda rough. Welcome to wonderful world of back pain.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Yep, you get the shots and you do rehab and THEN, if that doesn't help, as last resort you go under the knife.

Congrats on Bri, but it sounds like it went kinda rough. Welcome to wonderful world of back pain.

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good for Joe. I'm sure there will be plenty of "we should have" threads soon enough.

As for the latter, it was the bedrest that killed me. But well worth it. BriFloppyEars.jpg

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I'm not Dr. Ptatc, but having done a lot of research on the topic I'll add what I know from that and the doc's. Simply a form of pain management, the "block", level of medication, that Joe would be getting can't be very substantial as if it were he would experience loss sensation, muscle power, and posibly loss of function of the sympathetic nervous system, which controls blood pressure. A level at which he would still be able to function normally would only give relief for, at best, several hours. And in almost all cases the patient is recommended to be confined to a bed because side effects can be life threatening - mainly paralysis of the diaphragm, and loss of function to the heart itself, causing heart rate and blood pressure drop.

I don't really understand why he would be getting one unless he is about to have more surgery. Anything else said other than "Joe had an epidural..."?

An "epidural" describes the location of the injection. The dural layers are the covering of the spinal cord. There can be many medications injected there. As Steff said one is for numbing and pain. The one Crede probably received is for anti-inflammatory purposes.

The big worry here is that the epidural means they suspect the problem is nerve related not superficial muscle or movement problems. Since the back surgery is fairly recent it could be scar tissue. Hopefully, it is not a disc problem again. Even though they did a partial discectomy problems can arise from the other discs taking the load or the same discs can have problems again.

The torsion the back endures during a baseball swing is violent and could cause these repeated problems. I think we've all noticed his defense has been where it should be.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
An "epidural" describes the location of the injection. The dural layers are the covering of the spinal cord. There can be many medications injected there. As Steff said one is for numbing and pain. The one Crede probably received is for anti-inflammatory purposes.

The big worry here is that the epidural means they suspect the problem is nerve related not superficial muscle or movement problems. Since the back surgery is fairly recent it could be scar tissue. Hopefully, it is not a disc problem again. Even though they did a partial discectomy problems can arise from the other discs taking the load or the same discs can have problems again.

The torsion the back endures during a baseball swing is violent and could cause these repeated problems. I think we've all noticed his defense has been where it should be.

let me clear this all up for everyone...i have literally the same problem as joe and have had a couple epidurals myself. Like this previous poster said, the term "epidural" simply refers to the region of the injection. I have a terribly herniated disc that is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. without treatment it causes severe pain that is absolutely unbearable. I have had 2 epidurals in the last year for pretty much the exact same problem as joe, except i never had surgery. the surgery is only done as measure that could possibly end the problem for good. I never had it, and apparently in joe's case it didnt work very well. an epidural is a direct shot of cortisone that bathes the spinal canal between the vertebrae. think of it as a super potentially long lasting anti-inflammatory/pain killer. my last one was in may and it absolutely melted the pain completely away. the only problem with epidurals is that they are not completely reliable for long periods of time. the pain may go away for a week, it may go away for a year, it may go away forever....but you can only have around 3 in a year. joe had this done as a measure of pain relief, and if it works as well for him as it did for me, he'll be fine. as far as how the sox are saying they are waiting for the epidural injection to kick in, it takes about 3-4 days to take full effect.

''Call his agent [scott Boras], I don't know. Joe Crede isn't going to help me right now. Good luck.''

Crede had an epidural Friday in Charlotte. The Sox will monitor the outcome before announcing a timetable for his return.

Might Crede be nursing the injury because he'll be a free agent with millions at stake? (NICE ONE, COWLEY, JERK!!!)

''I'm not going to say yes or no because I can't read his mind,'' Guillen said. ''But I trust Joe because when he's hurt, Joe has played with pain the last three years. When he says he can't go, I know how bad the pain is. I don't think he's doing that. If he's doing that, I can't control that.''

from suntimes.com/sports

One of my favorite players...but i as well have had back issues...i doubt he will ever be the same....

Thank god Uribe has stepped it up...it would be great to get Joe back 100%, but i dont see it happening

So, I've pretty much given up on Joe contributing to this team from here on out. If his condition improves, great, but I'm not holding my breath. If he needs to be shelved to be healthy for next year, so be it. I want Joe to be able to bend over and tie his shoes when he's 50.

Oh, and congrats, Steff. Well worth it indeed.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 01:59 AM)
let me clear this all up for everyone...i have literally the same problem as joe and have had a couple epidurals myself. Like this previous poster said, the term "epidural" simply refers to the region of the injection. I have a terribly herniated disc that is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. without treatment it causes severe pain that is absolutely unbearable. I have had 2 epidurals in the last year for pretty much the exact same problem as joe, except i never had surgery. the surgery is only done as measure that could possibly end the problem for good. I never had it, and apparently in joe's case it didnt work very well. an epidural is a direct shot of cortisone that bathes the spinal canal between the vertebrae. think of it as a super potentially long lasting anti-inflammatory/pain killer. my last one was in may and it absolutely melted the pain completely away. the only problem with epidurals is that they are not completely reliable for long periods of time. the pain may go away for a week, it may go away for a year, it may go away forever....but you can only have around 3 in a year. joe had this done as a measure of pain relief, and if it works as well for him as it did for me, he'll be fine. as far as how the sox are saying they are waiting for the epidural injection to kick in, it takes about 3-4 days to take full effect.

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago my friend, but I turned down the epidurals and just dealt with it. Mysteriously, my back suddenly got better. There is still some slight pain sometimes, but it's not debilitating. Dunno how that happened. but I'm glad it did.

Sounds like Joe is done.

Scary stuff this back pain you guys allude to. How the heck do these receivers survive in football when they get nailed in the bak all the time. And baseball taking all those hacks during a season and BP during the season. Poor Joe.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but with how we've seen things pan out with Crede's back, Can we safely conclude that Chris Williams' career with the Bears is over before it even started? Football is a much more violent sport than baseball, and this seems like the same injury as Crede.