Crede has epidural

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but with how we've seen things pan out with Crede's back, Can we safely conclude that Chris Williams' career with the Bears is over before it even started? Football is a much more violent sport than baseball, and this seems like the same injury as Crede.

Hes out for at least 10-12 weeks(Williams) unreal!

Heard scouts were pulling him off there draft boards because

of injury issues. But this back problem is a new one...LOL

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but with how we've seen things pan out with Crede's back, Can we safely conclude that Chris Williams' career with the Bears is over before it even started? Football is a much more violent sport than baseball, and this seems like the same injury as Crede.

From what I've heard and read, the way disc injuries will heal, if at all, is very unpredictable.

What you're saying makes sense, it seems the last thing you'd want to do with a disc injury is slam your body into someone else's over and over again. Tackling has got to compress your spine tremendously, I'm surprised we don't hear about more of these types of injuries in football.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
let me clear this all up for everyone...i have literally the same problem as joe and have had a couple epidurals myself. Like this previous poster said, the term "epidural" simply refers to the region of the injection. I have a terribly herniated disc that is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. without treatment it causes severe pain that is absolutely unbearable. I have had 2 epidurals in the last year for pretty much the exact same problem as joe, except i never had surgery. the surgery is only done as measure that could possibly end the problem for good. I never had it, and apparently in joe's case it didnt work very well. an epidural is a direct shot of cortisone that bathes the spinal canal between the vertebrae. think of it as a super potentially long lasting anti-inflammatory/pain killer. my last one was in may and it absolutely melted the pain completely away. the only problem with epidurals is that they are not completely reliable for long periods of time. the pain may go away for a week, it may go away for a year, it may go away forever....but you can only have around 3 in a year. joe had this done as a measure of pain relief, and if it works as well for him as it did for me, he'll be fine. as far as how the sox are saying they are waiting for the epidural injection to kick in, it takes about 3-4 days to take full effect.

Just because he has some pain now doesn't mean the surgery did not work. As I stated earlier it's very possible it could be scar tissue and this could relieve it. It's also possible that it is a disc above or below the previous one and the injections can relieve it. There is also the possibility that the problem is not related to a disc at all, there are many other structures that can aggravate a nerve. The disc is by far the most common.

The epidural injection in the case of nerve dysfucntions is usually an anti-inflammatory which means it's not a pain killer but attempting to decrease the cause of the pain. This is why they take a few days to work and can get rid of the pain for good or have the client return for no more than three per year.

Actually, it will not be as serious for Williams. The spine is designed to take the stress of an up and down force much more efficiently than a rotation force due to the S-curves. From working with the various sports a baseball hitter will have much more difficulty returning to a high level of performance than a football tackle.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Actually, it will not be as serious for Williams. The spine is designed to take the stress of an up and down force much more efficiently than a rotation force due to the S-curves. From working with the various sports a baseball hitter will have much more difficulty returning to a high level of performance than a football tackle.

Great stuff. Thx for the insight.

Why should you not get more than 3 per year?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
Great stuff. Thx for the insight.

Why should you not get more than 3 per year?

The typical medication that is used, a cortisone cocktail, is a very aggressive anti-inflammatory. It is so strong that more than three will start to break down even healthy tissue especially cartilage (which the discs are made of) and joint surfaces.