Carmines vs. White Sox 6:05 CT WGN

ChWRoCk2

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
Ummmm...because Adam Russell facing David Ortiz isn't exactly a high-percentage move.

It's easy to manage a bullpen that actually gets the job done (see first half)...but we're looking more like 2007 now, except for Carrasco's fine outing.

I am talking about the top of the inning. Logan v. anyone is not a high percentage move. David Ortiz is not looking good and Carrasco handled him.

The leftie rightie s*** needs to stop. How is Thorton not in this game to start the inning is a complete joke.

Nice job Russell how was he not in the game.

Logan has been abysmal for a while now. There is no reason for him to be in a 1-1 game in the 7th NONE!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:15 AM)
If Russell (he of the 6+ ERA) grooves a 95-96 MPH fastball with no movement and Ortiz hits a Grand Slam, everyone's going to say, how could he put in a rookie RH reliever against David Ortiz.

This was a message from Ozzie to Logan that you have to man up and get yourself out of the situation...there's about a 99% chance that is the last we will see of Logan with the White Sox this year.

No, you bring in Russell to face Pedroia. As I said when it was happening, in a tie game, you have to play the batter and not for who is on deck. At this point, Pedroia is more dangerous than Ortiz.

No excuse to have Boone Logan in there in that spot, none. I know our pitching is thin, but to have Boone Logan put into a 1-1 game in the 7th inning of an August pennant race game is undefendable. I'd rather have put a righty in there, even with two lefties and a switch hitter starting the inning and Ortiz 5th in line. Logan has been the worst relief pitcher maybe in baseball the last 4 or 5 weeks. And now, because Ozzie put him in, we're done for the night.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
Consistent starting pitching and get the little things done. Not swing for the fences and dont have a hack hitting 2nd.

The odds of beating the Red Sox and Dice-K with Carrasco, Logan and Russell were about 1 in 20. The Twins will have a very desperate Yankees team at home next week (usually the Yankees own the Twins, but not at the HHH)...then they have their longest road trip of the season...24 of their next 33 on the road after two home series (one against NYY) this week.

Hey...without Crede, Linebrink and Contreras, nobody should expect the White Sox to hold off the Twins, especially with Liriano seemingly back and healthy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Hey...without Crede, Linebrink and Contreras, nobody should expect the White Sox to hold off the Twins, especially with Liriano seemingly back and healthy.

I agree with this...thankfully Twins waited so long to call up Liriano, as it probably saved us 3 games in the standings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
You know what's amazing, as I take a step back....how quickly the buzz stopped regarding Griffey Jr.

As I (and others as well) said the moment the trade happened, even if Griffey is great (and he hasn't been), our problem is pitching and defense right now, and if anything, he does nothing for part 1 and makes part 2 worse.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
No excuse to have Boone Logan in there in that spot, none. I know our pitching is thin, but to have Boone Logan put into a 1-1 game in the 7th inning of an August pennant race game is undefendable. I'd rather have put a righty in there, even with two lefties and a switch hitter starting the inning and Ortiz 5th in line. Logan has been the worst relief pitcher maybe in baseball the last 4 or 5 weeks. And now, because Ozzie put him in, we're done for the night.

So you're on the record that you would have used Dotel or Adam Russell to start the 7th inning? Obviously, you're not advocating using Jenks (I hope).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:21 AM)
So you're on the record that you would have used Dotel or Adam Russell to start the 7th inning? Obviously, you're not advocating using Jenks (I hope).

I think anyone complaining wanted Thornton to start the 7th.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
You know what's amazing, as I take a step back....how quickly the buzz stopped regarding Griffey Jr.

Because people finally realize he isn't any good anymore thus he isn't the savior.

"OMG GRIFFEY, WORLD SERIES 4 SURE!!!!!!"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
So you're on the record that would have used Dotel or Adam Russell to start the 7th inning? Obviously, you're not advocating using Jenks (I hope).

I'd have used absolutely anybody except Logan. I'd prefer Thornton to start the inning, but if not him, it probably would have had to be Russell (although Dotel would have been ok too). Logan is automatic to give up at least two runs when he comes in, and with the way Dick-K is pitching, that means we lose.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)

1 for 13 with triples and ground rule doubles falling all around you will tend to do that.

Amazing...but he's fading almost as fast as one of the best 2B of all time, Roberto "Remember the" Alomar. Or was that Sandy's nickname?

Just got home. I defend Ozzie more than anyone on this board probably, but not tonight. How do you leave the human pity party, Boone Logan, in like that is beyond me. I don't have a problem having him start the inning but he faced 2 lefties and got neither out, than he leaves him. Awful.

Boone is a hack now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
I think anyone complaining wanted Thornton to start the 7th.

I think Ozzie decided with the bullpen's workload and the fact that he needs to conserve Thornton and Dotel for down the stretch...that he was willing to sacrifice this game to teach Boone Logan a lesson and end his White Sox career...I wouldn't be shocked if he never pitches for us again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I think Ozzie decided with the bullpen's workload and the fact that he needs to conserve Thornton and Dotel for down the stretch...that he was willing to sacrifice this game to teach Boone Logan a lesson and end his White Sox career...I wouldn't be shocked if he never pitches for us again.

Yeah, sacrificing a game in August in a tight pennant race to teach Boone a lesson would just be brilliant managing. If Ozzie is thinking that he is a complete dumbass.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:26 AM)

While I disagree that this is a game to prove a point, as this was a huge game from a morale standpoint with the beloved Contreras getting hurt. However, I totally agree that this may be the last we ever see of Logan. Here's something to think about....we keep saying that we need to send some players down, as they're performing horribly. However, there's just nothing promising at all in the minors outside of Poreda. Everyone who's seen Link and Childers pitch has said their stuff is mediocre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)

Ozzie is a stupid man if that is true. If he was willing to sacrifice a game in August in a race that might come down to one game in order to end Boone Logan's Sox career, then he's not a smart manager. "Win the battle and lose the war" games are when you are down 7-4 or something and leave the starter in to give up a few more runs, but get a few more outs to save the bullpen, not games that are 1-1 in the 7th inning.

Edited by whitesoxfan101