50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

40. Freddy Garcia

o720zj4f.jpg

(6 of 27 lists - 56 points - highest ranking #11 Buehrle>Wood & rangercal)

bio by Buehrle>Wood -

A big part of the reason I loved Freddy so much is due to the exciting day of when we acquired him. The Sox had just beaten the Cubs two out of three games, but it took the acquistion of Freddy to accomplish the rare feat of stealing headlines away from the Crosstown Classic. This was one of those trades that defined Kenny Williams as a GM, trading two touted prospects and our young starting catcher for a front of the line starter in order to "go for it". Of course, we all the 2004 season from there. We quickly faded, but that's not to say the trade wasn't a success.

Freddy's 2005 season, like so many others on the roster, was magical. I'll never forget being at the late September game in which he gave a much needed dominating against the Twins while our division lead over the Indians was down to near nothing. It was the many games like these that have earned him the reputation of being a big game pitcher.

Freddy though will forever be part of White Sox lore for his performance in the 2005 postseason. He was pretty much flawless, going 3-0 with a 2.14 ERA. He will be most remembered for shutting down the Astros for seven innings in the game the brought us our first World Series in 88 years. For that he can never be forgotten.

It's hard to look at Freddy's statline and see that he was only here for two and a half seasons. In that short time, he became such a central figure of the organization that it is hard to imagine him in another uniform.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

I really had a lot of respect for him when he lost his over powering stuff but was able to go out there and win the big game with his knowledge he gained over the years.Before he was traded to the sox I thought he was a guy that relied upon his stuff only and wasnt a student of the game(I thought of him as just a lazy ass),he went on to prove me wrong.