50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

39. Albert Belle

belle.jpg

(6 of 27 lists - 58 points - highest ranking #4 rangercal)

bio by knightni and wikipedia -

The story of Albert Belle is a short, sometimes sad one.

He was an awesome player with those early/mid '90s Cleveland Indians teams, but to be honest -- he was downright unpleasant to be around.

His 50 doubles/50 HR season was overshadowed by his surly demeanor with teammates, fans and the media. So it's no surprise that Cleveland didn't re-sign him after his 1996 season.

The real surprise was where he ended up.

Frank Thomas had gone through a plethora of cleanup hitters from 1993 to 1996 - George Bell, Bo Jackson, Julio Franco, Ellis Burks, even Robin Ventura. But he never truly had a player of Belle's hitting magnitude hitting behind him.

Jerry Reinsdorf, known for squeezing dollars until they bleed, shocked everyone in WhiteSoxland when he signed Belle to a 5 year $55 million deal in the '96 offseason. This deal made Belle the richest player in MLB history (at the time).

Boy was I shocked, AND excited.

The Sox had missed the playoffs due to the '94 strike and fell back in '95 and '96, so this looked like our ticket to a division title! Maybe... more? - So I thought.

Belle enjoyed two great seasons in Chicago, including a career-high 27-game hitting streak in May 1997. Belle came close to having another 50/50 season in 1998, with 49 home runs (a White Sox team record that still stands) and 48 doubles.

Belle's White Sox contract had an unusual clause allowing him to demand that he would remain one of the three highest paid players in baseball.

In October 1998, Belle invoked the clause, and when the White Sox declined to give him a raise, Belle immediately became a free agent.

The Sox never finished above .500 in Belle's two seasons in Chicago.

Belle signed a five-year, $65 million deal in 1999 with the Baltimore Orioles.

Belle's career ended just two seasons later, retiring at age 34 as a result of degenerative osteoarthritis in his hip.

From bat corking, to throwing baseballs at fans, to alcoholism, to running over trick-or-treaters with his car...

Albert Belle was truly a player who missed his full potential.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

some posters focus on playing accomplishments for their favorites. He's a love him or hate him guy. I pulled for him in a Sox uni and then stopped when he left. I believe all of my top 20 I would cheer for after they leave, just not against the Sox.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
I enjoyed the homeruns, but not the ballplayer.

In retrospect, I wonder if he was ever happy playing pro ball. 19/20 on my list I believe truly enjoyed playing baseball and being a ball player. The only one I've questioned at times is Frank Thomas. Belle was never a favorite of mine. I do see how he could be someone else's favorite based on playing ability.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:31 AM)
I'm pretty surprised he is on this list.

As am I. I tried to like Belle, but got a first-hand glimpse of what a selfish jerk he was. Back during the '98 season, I vacationed in Toronto with my family and we caught a couple of Sox games in the SkyDome. After the first game, Belle was waiting around in a chair in the lobby by himself. A kid who couldn't have been more than 10 or 12 walked up to him and asked for an autograph. He refused. Contrast that with Frank taking 10 seconds to sign my sister's jersey while literally running out the door. Or Ray Durham talking to my family at the hotel bar for a good 10 minutes. Or Herm Schneider talking to my family for a good 30 minutes.

Belle was good, but not great in '97. He started off slow in '98 and then went on an absolute tear, resulting in the greatest single-player offensive season in Sox history. But the Sox didn't go anywhere with him and he left town for more money after that. And he was a jackass, to boot. JMO, but I don't see how he could be a "favorite" player. I'll take Juan Uribe over Albert Belle any day.

I laughed pretty hard at the end "From bat corking, to throwing baseballs at fans, to alcoholism, to running over trick-or-treaters with his car...."

Probably not the reaction you were looking for, as you said its a sad story, but thanks.

Edited by Maxwell

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
As am I. I tried to like Belle, but got a first-hand glimpse of what a selfish jerk he was. Back during the '98 season, I vacationed in Toronto with my family and we caught a couple of Sox games in the SkyDome. After the first game, Belle was waiting around in a chair in the lobby by himself. A kid who couldn't have been more than 10 or 12 walked up to him and asked for an autograph. He refused. Contrast that with Frank taking 10 seconds to sign my sister's jersey while literally running out the door. Or Ray Durham talking to my family at the hotel bar for a good 10 minutes. Or Herm Schneider talking to my family for a good 30 minutes.

Belle was good, but not great in '97. He started off slow in '98 and then went on an absolute tear, resulting in the greatest single-player offensive season in Sox history. But the Sox didn't go anywhere with him and he left town for more money after that. And he was a jackass, to boot. JMO, but I don't see how he could be a "favorite" player. I'll take Juan Uribe over Albert Belle any day.

Yes, he went on a tear after the Sox were pretty much out of it. Not really what makes a qualify as one of my favorites.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
Supposedly the story is that Jerry gave Frank Thomas the choice of signing any ball player he wanted after that season, between Belle and Barry Bonds, Frank chose Belle.

Belle does make Frank look like a media darling with loads of PR savvy.