It's Broadway and Getz

Princess Dye

And as others said in the other thread 670 says it would be Broadway to pen, Carrasco to start

I dont know if I like it so much - Carrasco has been real good at what he's doing. They really must have little faith in the other 5th starter candidates I guess.

Edited by Princess Dye

Broadway...yeah. This organization can be an absolute joke sometimes.

Broadway since the IL All-Star break:

Post All-Star 2 2 7.40 20.2IP 25H 22R 17ER 6HR 13BB 22SO 1.11GB/FB .301BAA

We honestly deserve to lose this division if we promote a piece of junk AAA pitcher like Broadway over Poreda.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

Broadway has major league stuff. His command has been horrid for most of the season though. Getz is a guy I like a lot though and I think he'll be a valuable bench player and an eventual starter.

I don't know how Carassco has been doing it but I hope he can keep it up and do a good job in the rotation. Still, the Sox need someone and if they could get Washburn without giving up much I wouldn't be opposed (you could always go back and trade him again in the off-season).

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
We honestly deserve to lose this division if we promote a piece of junk AAA pitcher like Broadway over Poreda.

They must figure - he's seen some of the hitters before that he'll be facing

And the downside of Broadway getting rocked is less important than the downside of Poredo getting rocked. This year both would matter equally, but in long term .... you dont want to damage Poreda's mindset or his trade value w/ bad ML stats.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
They must figure - he's seen some of the hitters before that he'll be facing

And the downside of Broadway getting rocked is less important than the downside of Poredo getting rocked. This year both would matter equally, but in long term .... you dont want to damage Poreda's mindset or his trade value w/ bad ML stats.

It's time to junk the entire "trade prospects for quality major leaguers" line that KW has done over the past few years. We can see the results of this strategy when we have only one option when a starter goes down.

And the spiel about damaging Poreda's trade value is ridiculous. You're saying some organization is going to go, "s***, he did bad in a few starts. Ignore the fact that he's a LHP who can throw 100 MPH and is 21?"

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
And the spiel about damaging Poreda's trade value is ridiculous. You're saying some organization is going to go, "s***, he did bad in a few starts. Ignore the fact that he's a LHP who can throw 100 MPH and is 21?"

It sure doesnt help.

Poreda trade could be the #1 way one day to make the team better instantly. It could be next trade deadline. You'll want the leverage then, for sure.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
It sure doesnt help.

Poreda trade could be the #1 way one day to make the team better instantly. It could be next trade deadline. You'll want the leverage then, for sure.

Ummmm....why would we want to trade Poreda, exactly? Because he throws the ball hard and he's left-handed and someone will give us another Josh Hamilton or Carlos Quentin for him magically?

It seems that developing his secondary pitches and having him pitch for the Sox (under Cooper's supervision) would be a smarter move for a team that hasn't developed another starter of their own for a decade nearly (Garland/Buerhle)

If we want to develop another starter, using that theory, we should just convert Thornton. He asked to try to start when he was acquired for Borchard, he throws the easiest 95-97 in the AL and his secondary pitches are more advanced than Poreda's, which isn't saying a whole lot at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Ummmm....why would we want to trade Poreda, exactly? Because he throws the ball hard and he's left-handed and someone will give us another Josh Hamilton or Carlos Quentin for him magically?

I'm not saying we should trade him.

Just saying KW trades prospects. It's what he does, and when he has a need big enough next year, Poreda would be the #1 trading chip.

Also, I didnt say we were trading him straight up, as you allege above. Obviously, he could be part of a package, netting something good in return.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
It sure doesnt help.

The last time I checked we are in the midst of a playoff run, this year. Not next year. Who knows next year what position we will be in. This years Indians and last years WhiteSox should of taught you that.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
The last time I checked we are in the midst of a playoff run, this year. Not next year. Who knows next year what position we will be in. This years Indians and last years WhiteSox should of taught you that.

I would agree with you if I thought Poreda could be great this year, but I dont think it's his time.

Though I only base this on parallel situations from other teams at other times. I suppose there's a chance he could be the exception.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
You want to see Broadway start, why. Do you like the sound of hard crushed balls flying through the thick August night.

Well if he starts and sucks than he's only bad once a week, instead of 3 times as a RP.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
I would agree with you if I thought he could be great this year, but I dont think it's his time.

Though I only base this on parallel situations from other teams at other times. I suppose there's a chance he could be the exception.

You realize that AA to the Majors is kind of a normal move for teams top prospects. AAA, especially the IL is where people stockpile aging vets and AAAA guys to sprinkle across other prospects who aren't good enough yet to make the majors. AA is still where the talent is.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
This won't last long, Olney said we are going after a veteren pitcher, most likely Washburn, off the waiver wire.

Washburn has had a few bad games this year, but overall he's been pretty serviceable.

He's kept a bad Seattle team in a lot of games. In other words, we could do worse.

My concern is what it will cost us to get him.

If Kenny can pull it off by eating salary rather than giving up much in the way of talent, count me in.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
Well if he starts and sucks than he's only bad once a week, instead of 3 times as a RP.

I heard this before, Danny Wright/Felix Diaz/Arnie Munoz and other associated crap that we trotted out as the 5th starter. They only lost once a week as well. How did that work for our playoff hunt.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
You realize that AA to the Majors is kind of a normal move for teams top prospects. AAA, especially the IL is where people stockpile aging vets and AAAA guys to sprinkle across other prospects who aren't good enough yet to make the majors. AA is still where the talent is.

didnt say anything about AA specifically. the point is, asking a young guy to come in and make a difference in a PLAYOFF RUN is asking a lot, and i cant think of tons of examples of it working out well.

Jenks, I guess, but he was older and had more life experiences (meaning bar fights)

again, the downside is rushing him along too fast, which can be a detriment to his mindset, as well as future value.

Edited by Princess Dye