It's Broadway and Getz

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
even more telling, the end of this interview indicates that Poreda himself believes he still has a long while before he's ML ready.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21338-c...er-aaron-poreda

I am sold now. He said he wasn't ready, in the first week of May, when he wasnt in AA yet. Yup. Broadway and his home runs is a much better solution.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
It's time to junk the entire "trade prospects for quality major leaguers" line that KW has done over the past few years. We can see the results of this strategy when we have only one option when a starter goes down.

And the spiel about damaging Poreda's trade value is ridiculous. You're saying some organization is going to go, "s***, he did bad in a few starts. Ignore the fact that he's a LHP who can throw 100 MPH and is 21?"

i think its more our ability to draft and develop players that has left our minor league system barren...trading guys like gio doesn't help, but everytime we trade a guy like that, we should have another one or two coming up ...

on another note...im pretty excited to see getz....if uribe is gonna play 3rd everyday it seems getz is a much better fit to play utility guy than fields...i like the way this kid has developed so far...his recent power is very encouraging and i could see him turning into a solid ballplayer...IMO hes the best position prospect we have (until beckham signs, and not counting fields since hes been in the majors )

Edited by daa84

There is no guarantee that Broadway will be horrid at the ML level. We have all seen guys pitch mediocre in AAA and come up to the majors and really do the job. Sometimes it's almost like it's boredom or something in AAA, or perhaps some guys just really respond to the added pressure.

Everyone knows that our bullpen is a weakness, we just made it even weaker.

I think the Sox completely screwed up with Fields. If you don't trust him at 3B because of his defense, fine. But Fields absolutely mashes lefties which coincidentally is an area where we're pretty pathetic. He could have played 1B against lefties in a platoon role with Konerko/Swisher. Instead we acquired another guy who can't hit lefties.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
There is no guarantee that Broadway will be horrid at the ML level. We have all seen guys pitch mediocre in AAA and come up to the majors and really do the job. Sometimes it's almost like it's boredom or something in AAA, or perhaps some guys just really respond to the added pressure.

Everyone knows that our bullpen is a weakness, we just made it even weaker.

That's true, but most of those times, it's a pitcher who has legit stuff and an "out" pitch.

Anyone can pitch poorly in the minors...the fact is that Broadway has such a fine margin for error, and outings he had last year were under little or no pressure...much different when everyone in the city is all over the airwaves after 1-2 bad starts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Ummmm....why would we want to trade Poreda, exactly? Because he throws the ball hard and he's left-handed and someone will give us another Josh Hamilton or Carlos Quentin for him magically?

It seems that developing his secondary pitches and having him pitch for the Sox (under Cooper's supervision) would be a smarter move for a team that hasn't developed another starter of their own for a decade nearly (Garland/Buerhle)

I absolutely agree. And I'll add that the Sox shouldn't be in a hurry to rush Poreda to the bigs.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe Broadway's bad numbers in the 2nd half are due to the org. wanting him to work on something?

I know what I saw last year in Broadway, and I saw a pretty good pitcher. He wasn't getting lucky like some other junk ballers, he actually has very solid stuff. I think people are extremely underrating him.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
Has anyone ever thought that maybe Broadway's bad numbers in the 2nd half are due to the org. wanting him to work on something?

I know what I saw last year in Broadway, and I saw a pretty good pitcher. He wasn't getting lucky like some other junk ballers, he actually has very solid stuff. I think people are extremely underrating him.

I agree. He looked pretty good last year. Hopefully he will do well.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
Well if he starts and sucks than he's only bad once a week, instead of 3 times as a RP.

Whenever Broadway enters a game, the Sox will be up or down by 4+ runs. If Broadway starts a game, the game is tied. Consider that and then repeat your statement to yourself and see if you agree with it.

Broadway is up to pitch garbage innings; if he turns into a good pitcher well then hallef***inglujah. I don't think it'll happen, but you never know. Right now, he's a mopup pitcher.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)

It's also quite possible that he was absolutely filthy that night and his stuff still looked good.

You cannot judge a pitcher based off of one performance, and tons of people are doing that. He looked good that outing, I agree completely. That doesn't mean he'll look good in his next one, and it's likely that he's going to suck, seeing as how he's been absolutely terrible over the past month.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Whenever Broadway enters a game, the Sox will be up or down by 4+ runs. If Broadway starts a game, the game is tied. Consider that and then repeat your statement to yourself and see if you agree with it.

Broadway is up to pitch garbage innings; if he turns into a good pitcher well then hallef***inglujah. I don't think it'll happen, but you never know. Right now, he's a mopup pitcher.

It's also quite possible that he was absolutely filthy that night and his stuff still looked good.

You cannot judge a pitcher based off of one performance, and tons of people are doing that. He looked good that outing, I agree completely. That doesn't mean he'll look good in his next one, and it's likely that he's going to suck, seeing as how he's been absolutely terrible over the past month.

For all I know you are completely correct... but I hate how everyone just completely writes him off.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
For all I know you are completely correct... but I hate how everyone just completely writes him off.

I do agree. I just don't know how consistent he is with his stuff; he's obviously been doing something wrong in Charlotte or they're working on him with other pitches, but that remains to be seen. As a guy who is going to pretty much just eat garbage innings, he's fine.

I think what remains to be seen in all of this is the organization's future plans with Horacio. They could just leave him in the bullpen for a while and end up dealing Logan, but it's hard to deal him with his value as low as it is right now. They could also have him build his endurance back up and end up having him be the 5th starter next season or KW and company could also be looking at other alternatives (I think they'll do this regardless of their plans with Horacio anyways).

It would be nice if Linebrink got healthy quickly though.

QUOTE (wcw2323 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
I think it should have been Haeger instead of Broadway. he has outpitched Broadway since the All-Star break May. Perfect long man from the pen who can eat up innings.

Fixed.

Haeger's a guy i wouldnt mind seeing when rosters expand b/c you're right, hes the perfect guy to eat up innings.

QUOTE (wcw2323 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
This decision goes back to a previous post...Broadway signed for $$$$ big bucks and Haeger was a 24th round draft pick. They have more money invested in Broadway even though you're right "fixed" Haeger has outpitched Broadway since May!

Or they don't want the catchers to have to deal with trying to catch a knuckleball when, either way, the innings are meaningless. They also probably feel that Broadway atleast has a future on the big league roster whereas they consider Haeger to be an afterthought.

Haeger blows, Broadway blows, who really gives a s***? You are arguing about the 27th man and a dude who is pitching garbage innings.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
Or they don't want the catchers to have to deal with trying to catch a knuckleball when, either way, the innings are meaningless. They also probably feel that Broadway atleast has a future on the big league roster whereas they consider Haeger to be an afterthought.

Haeger blows, Broadway blows, who really gives a s***? You are arguing about the 27th man and a dude who is pitching garbage innings.

WCW has connections to Haeger, so the best thing to say is that you hope Haeger excels in the majors when he gets another chance.