Sox Trade for Franklyn German

Winning Ugly

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His career doesn't sound all that different than DJ Carassco and everyone wants Carassco to start games now. Although German was never released, bought for a dollar and got cut in Japan after 3 appearances.

Whose to say German can't turn it around while a little older? Give him a shot.

I don't know if he will but who would have thought people would want Carassco to start at this time of the year?

Carrasco is a finesse pitcher. German is a power pitcher with a fastball/splitter combo. I haven't see him pitch lately, but I would guess his fastball is in the 93-94 mph range. He's the type of pitcher that you better have someone else in the pen getting loose as soon as he steps on the mound.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
His career doesn't sound all that different than DJ Carassco and everyone wants Carassco to start games now. Although German was never released, bought for a dollar and got cut in Japan after 3 appearances.

Whose to say German can't turn it around while a little older? Give him a shot.

I don't know if he will but who would have thought people would want Carassco to start at this time of the year?

What are you talking about? Who wants Carrasco to start?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Why in the hell do people keep saying this? What would we owe him? $13 million over 1.3 years? That's not exactly a Zito- or Hampton-like risk. And if Jose's contract is insured, we'd be recouping at least half that.

My point is, I'd rather spend the money on something more valuable e.g A bonafide stud CF or a excellent 2nd baseman such as Orlando Hudson.

I think a guy such as Egbert if he was given a chance would be a suitable 5th starter for the team next season. Hence why'd I'd rather if you were going to add someone, just go for a stopgap starter whose contract is up at the end of the season.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
Little by little. At this point a huge acquisition probably isn't going to happen. There is plenty of room for improvement from our current pitching corp. Just getting back close to first half would be a bigger improvement than anyone we are going to pick up. It would also help immensely if MB pitched like INAA

I think you are right. I do not want us to mortgage anymore of our future by trading top prospects for rent-a-players or paying huge salaries to hurlers with ERA's approaching 5 or 6 a game. We need out four main guys to step up and deliver and hopefully get Linebrink back healthy and dominant. Right now we will see lesser known, but possibly good pitchers at a cheap cost being thrown into the mix

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
My point is, I'd rather spend the money on something more valuable e.g A bonafide stud CF or a excellent 2nd baseman such as Orlando Hudson.

BTW - Orlando Hudson went down with a season ending wrist injury last night. Second year in a row he's had a significant injury to the same wrist. I'm not knocking him, because I like him. Just wonder how that may affect his health going forward and the Sox potential interest in him.

With German coming in, who goes to Charlotte?

German

I think a guy such as Egbert if he was given a chance would be a suitable 5th starter for the team next season. Hence why'd I'd rather if you were going to add someone, just go for a stopgap starter whose contract is up at the end of the season.

Isn't Hudson looking for $15+ million a year?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Where did you see that number from? I don't think there is any way he got that BEFORE his injury, let alone after.

How much would you be willing to pay him FWIW Tony?

Because after the Contreras injury, and if the contract is insured (which from what I've read, will be) we'll have even more $$$ to splash around.

And therefore KW might try some "Andrew Jones'" type of offers, e.g a short term deal at an higher inflated price maybe?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Carrasco is a finesse pitcher. German is a power pitcher with a fastball/splitter combo. I haven't see him pitch lately, but I would guess his fastball is in the 93-94 mph range. He's the type of pitcher that you better have someone else in the pen getting loose as soon as he steps on the mound.

these types of moves are not the sign of a team going all out to win this year. Its dissapointing really. Its crunch time, and we have DJ carrarsco in the middle fo the fire every fifth day? Not sure about that. They probably checked in with linebrink and he said no way I can be back in august and then made a move like this.

QUOTE (quickman @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
these types of moves are not the sign of a team going all out to win this year. Its dissapointing really. Its crunch time, and we have DJ carrarsco in the middle fo the fire every fifth day? Not sure about that. They probably checked in with linebrink and he said no way I can be back in august and then made a move like this.

What choice do we have? What guys are out there that we are turning down great deals for?

It doesn't really seem like we have a choice right now.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
How much would you be willing to pay him FWIW Tony?

Because after the Contreras injury, and if the contract is insured (which from what I've read, will be) we'll have even more $$$ to splash around.

And therefore KW might try some "Andrew Jones'" type of offers, e.g a short term deal at an higher inflated price maybe?

I think they go hard after Hudson. KW has mentioned him before. KW gets stuck on guys and doesn't let go. They will lose crede, and OC and pick up hudson, fields slots over to third with his crappy Batting average, and Getz and uribe fills in the infield.

Now we jsut need a leadoff hitter again.