Sox Trade for Franklyn German

Winning Ugly

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
What choice do we have? What guys are out there that we are turning down great deals for?

It doesn't really seem like we have a choice right now.

Look we may not have choice your right, or maybe we do. The Dbacks got dunn not some guy from someones triple A squad. All I am saying is we are six weeks out and we are patching our team with Triple AAA type players. I do not have all the answers, but KW is a GM.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (quickman @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I think they go hard after Hudson. KW has mentioned him before. KW gets stuck on guys and doesn't let go. They will lose crede, and OC and pick up hudson, fields slots over to third with his crappy Batting average, and Getz and uribe fills in the infield.

Now we jsut need a leadoff hitter again.

Has the O-Dawg actually ever hit leadoff before? Alexei could always be an option, although he won't be taking as many pitches as a Swisher obviously, and you may want to use his bat more in RBI situations in which he's been good at this season so far IIRC.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
No fanbase trashes their minor league system, rightfully so, more than this board. Yet act shocked when KW isn't able to pull off impact trades.

that is so right, I actually am the biggest trasher of our minor leagues. I personally think they all suck. that said, If there is some team that might desire a guy like fields or broadway then trade them away and get some help. otherwise you are correct. We have nothing in the pantry and hanging onto the crap we have does us no good either. I do not believe the sox are serious about building from within, hopefully that changes with this years draft.

QUOTE (quickman @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
I think they go hard after Hudson. KW has mentioned him before. KW gets stuck on guys and doesn't let go. They will lose crede, and OC and pick up hudson, fields slots over to third with his crappy Batting average, and Getz and uribe fills in the infield.

Now we jsut need a leadoff hitter again.

I have strong doubts about Fields' future in the organization. They just don't like him at all.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Hudson really does fit the profile of what the Sox would pursue. At 33, he's going to have to settle for the shorter years deal which is our ,um, specialty regarding pitchers

I am pretty sure the discussion was about Orlando Hudson, not Tim...

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
My point is, I'd rather spend the money on something more valuable e.g A bonafide stud CF or a excellent 2nd baseman such as Orlando Hudson.

I think a guy such as Egbert if he was given a chance would be a suitable 5th starter for the team next season. Hence why'd I'd rather if you were going to add someone, just go for a stopgap starter whose contract is up at the end of the season.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... I will be extremely shocked if the D-Backs don't re-sigh Hudson. They have traded away all of their 2B base prospects, and that tells me that it is in their intentions to do everything possible to keep him.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
6935.jpg

I thought at first we acquired this guy..... whew

With the way he has killed us this year (10/31), well below .500 against the rest of MLB, it might be worth it just to give up Anderson Gomes' vaunted speed just to take him out of their line-up. Thankfully, Grudzielanek is also on the shelf for them too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
I have strong doubts about Fields' future in the organization. They just don't like him at all.

Ozzie said something that raised some questions in my mind. He said that Cora had worked with Fields on his defense in spring training, as he was not seeing those results now. So, here are my questions.

1. Does this signal a Fields attitude problem?

2. Is there a lack of coaching going on in Charlotte?

Call it a hunch, but I'd be more inclined to lean toward #2.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
Ozzie said something that raised some questions in my mind. He said that Cora had worked with Fields on his defense in spring training, as he was not seeing those results now. So, here are my questions.

1. Does this signal a Fields attitude problem?

2. Is there a lack of coaching going on in Charlotte?

Call it a hunch, but I'd be more inclined to lean toward #2.

I think something completely different

3. He lapsed back into old habits, techiniques, and forms.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
I think something completely different

3. He lapsed back into old habits, techiniques, and forms.

If that's the case, either the coaching or the attitude have to be questioned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
Probably the attitude considering how quickly he got benched. The Sox are really high on Buddy Bell, as is a lot of MLB.

This is Bell's first full season with the organization. It wouldn't surprise be if Buddy cleans house after this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Probably the attitude considering how quickly he got benched. The Sox are really high on Buddy Bell, as is a lot of MLB.

Fields is a very nice kid...perhaps too nice. Quite simply, he's not an instinctive baseball player. He has not swung the bat well all season, and it carried over from the minors to the majors. I'll be extremely surprised if he's with the Sox organization next season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
Fields is a very nice kid...perhaps too nice. Quite simply, he's not an instinctive baseball player. He has not swung the bat well all season, and it carried over from the minors to the majors. I'll be extremely surprised if he's with the Sox organization next season.

Fields has a little bit of the Rex Grossman sydrome. Both very talented guys, but they lose confidence very easily and then stink. Like Fields, Rex is a great guy and very likeable and has great character, but again maybe he is too nice to play QB and doesn't have an edge. When the story about Fields feeling uncomfortable in the clubhouse broke, you knew it was not a great sign for the guy.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Valido! Valido! Valido! His stock has never been higher, 3 HR & 27 RBI. He'd defy logic and become a stud for the Pirates.

.323 BA in his last 10 games.

Sell high!!!

Before he wakes up.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:15 AM)
.323 BA in his last 10 games.

Sell high!!!

Before he wakes up.

I don't think I could stomach him making a crucial error in one of the Barons playoff games. I can see it coming. Funny story...the promotions guy for the Barons said he can tell the difference between a season ticket holder and a casual fan by their reaction to a Valido error. Casual fans react dramatically whilst season ticket holders just nod knowingly.