Evan Longoria out with Broken Wrist

elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
MLB reports show Adam Dunn going from Reds to DBacks And maybe affecting the Sox, but especialy the AL East, is word that Evan Longoria in on DL with a fractured wrist so who does TB go to now?

I think they just put Crawford on the DL as well... interesting development there

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
MLB reports show Adam Dunn going from Reds to DBacks And maybe affecting the Sox, but especialy the AL East, is word that Evan Longoria in on DL with a fractured wrist so who does TB go to now?

Tampa Bay is f***ed basically. Boston and New York will claim EVERY hitter they think Tampa Bay might want (and even the ones they dont wan't) on waivers. It'll be interesting though, because Crawford just went on the DL, and without him and Longoria, Tampa Bay's already mediocre offense will be awful. They'll have a hard time holding off Boston with those two guys out, and if Boston were to pass them, then you start to look at the wild card situation. Minnesota is only 1.5 games behind Boston in that regard right now.

Buck Martinez was making his perdictions yesterday on TBS and he said the Yanks probably aren't going to be able to cathc the Rays or Boston. Now with Crawford and Longoria out that might change I think. Yanks don't have the starting pitching, but they can score runs.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Buck Martinez was making his perdictions yesterday on TBS and he said the Yanks probably aren't going to be able to cathc the Rays or Boston. Now with Crawford and Longoria out that might change I think. Yanks don't have the starting pitching, but they can score runs.

The Yanks would need Tampa Bay to collapse to catch them, and I don't think TB will outright collapse with their pitching. The Yankees just aren't very good, and even if they were to catch Tampa Bay, I don't like their odds to finish ahead of even Boston or the White Sox/Twins AL Central race loser. I know they are much close to those teams in the standings, but their team just isn't great.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

TB is in trouble if both Longoria and Crawford are out for more than a couple of weeks. This is about the time of the year that young pitchers tend to experience dead arm issues. Losing that much offense (and not to mention Longoria's Gold Glove defense) is going to put even more pressure on them.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
That sucks for them, but it could be good for us if we need to rely on the Wild Card to get into the playoffs even though they're 5.5 games above us.

But...I'm pretty sure they also have games upcoming with the Twins right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
But...I'm pretty sure they also have games upcoming with the Twins right?

Yeah a 4 game series at home right before our series with them at the end of the season.

Bottom line is, if we can make up 5.5 games against the Rays barring a collapse by them, we'll be in the playoffs. Hopefully we can win the division and not have to worry about the Wild Card.

Edited by WilliamTell