scenario

Charlotte beat Pawtucket 5-4

Nice outing for Egbert

Owens goes 3-5

Birmingham - No game

Winston-Salem vs. Wilmington

Kannapolis vs. Asheville

Great Falls vs. Idaho Falls

Bristol loses to Elizabethtown (completion of suspended game)

Bristol vs. Elizabethtown (regular game)

Edited by scenario

Winston-Salem made 5 errors in that game (2 by Paiml). Also interesting, Retherford was leading off.

Someone has to explain to me why Jason Childers can put up not just good, but downright dominant numbers at Charlotte, but he'd be awful in the majors. If anyone has any sort of scouting type info on the guy, I'd like to hear it. The guy is striking out a batter an inning, has only 13 walks in 53 IP, AvgA is .166, and he induces a lot of groundballs (2.18 GO/AO). He's old (33), but really, who cares if he could help the bullpen out?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Winston-Salem made 5 errors in that game (2 by Paiml). Also interesting, Retherford was leading off.

Someone has to explain to me why Jason Childers can put up not just good, but downright dominant numbers at Charlotte, but he'd be awful in the majors. If anyone has any sort of scouting type info on the guy, I'd like to hear it. The guy is striking out a batter an inning, has only 13 walks in 53 IP, AvgA is .166, and he induces a lot of groundballs (2.18 GO/AO). He's old (33), but really, who cares if he could help the bullpen out?

There are plenty of examples of guys who mastered AAA but had no chance at the ML level. Look no further than one of the nicest guys of all time in Jeff Bajenaru.

The problem is that Childers doesn't throw hard enough to break glass.

Which is why he is a 33 year old pitcher with decent minor league stats who has only 7 innings in MLB in his entire career.

(IIRC properly he got a chance to throw in a game at the end of spring training and got pounded...)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
There are plenty of examples of guys who mastered AAA but had no chance at the ML level. Look no further than one of the nicest guys of all time in Jeff Bajenaru.

I agree, I've seen those as well. But again, we aren't talking about a guy with decent numbers at AAA. This guy is nails down there. I can't recall a pitcher that was THAT good at AAA who went on to absolutely suck at the major league level. I'm sure there are a few... they just don't come to mind.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
I agree, I've seen those as well. But again, we aren't talking about a guy with decent numbers at AAA. This guy is nails down there. I can't recall a pitcher that was THAT good at AAA who went on to absolutely suck at the major league level. I'm sure there are a few... they just don't come to mind.

Ehren Wasserman? ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Ehren Wasserman? ;)

:lolhitting

Yes, ironically, one of my favorite players fits the mold... sort of. Ehren had a very good 2007 at the major league level though. Then he forgot how to throw his curveball this year, oddly, only while with the Sox. And he did look better, though not good enough, his second trip up.

In the games I've listened to... mid 80's max.

Meh... then again... what do I know? I never thought DeWayne Wise had a chance of a callup this year either.

If Childers doesn't get called up in what is looking like a career year in the minors... then he probably never will.

Edited by scenario