Byrd traded to Red Sox

SoIL

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_MLB.aspx

Per Rotoworld

Red Sox acquired RHP Paul Byrd from the Indians for a player to be named later or cash.

With Tim Wakefield hurting and Clay Buchholz struggling, the Red Sox went out and got a veteran starter for the stretch run. Byrd is 7-10 with a 4.53 ERA and the 37-year-old will be a free agent after the season. With Charlie Zink scheduled to start in Wakefield's place Wednesday, the Red Sox could either bump him from the rotation after one outing or replace Buchholz, who's scheduled to pitch Friday. For the Indians, Aaron Laffey is the obvious choice to replace Byrd in the rotation and having some success earlier this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Well so much for that idea... I wonder if Kenny every had a chance with Shapiro?

again, I am not saying that Byrd is some big fish but he is bigger than our triple A versions. The redsox now have some depth and are making themselves stronger. This is what I was saying on the other thread, good teams, contending teams in big markets need to do these things.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Well so much for that idea... I wonder if Kenny every had a chance with Shapiro?

My guess is that he did, but Shapiro probably asked for more from Kenny than he did from Epstein.

The Sox pretty much need to win the division now, because it looks like either the Sawks or Rays will get the WC.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
My guess is that he did, but Shapiro probably asked for more from Kenny than he did from Epstein.

The Sox pretty much need to win the division now, because it looks like either the Sawks or Rays will get the WC.

And a team trading for Paul Byrd is the thing that makes you say that?

If you're Mark Shapiro and you get very similar offers from both the Red Sox and White Sox which team would you rather send Paul Byrd to? Considering the player being dealt, there's not going to be a huge difference between offers if any at all.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
If you're Mark Shapiro and you get very similar offers from both the Red Sox and White Sox which team would you rather send Paul Byrd to? Considering the player being dealt, there's not going to be a huge difference between offers if any at all.

Shapiro wouldn't have a choice. The Red Sox have the better record between the two, so if the good Sox made a claim it would be either a deal with us or no deal at all. The Red Sox offered an organizational player, not a prospect, per Theo Epstein. Byrd would have cost nothing at all yet the Sox didn't even put in a claim. It's probably because KW can't add salary, as there would be no other reason not to add Paul Byrd right now. We have nothing worth noting in the minors.

*Edit: Even if Byrd couldn't be added due to salary, since there's I believe a 48-hour window for waivers, it would have been nice to see if Kenny could have talked with Shapiro first and offered Mike MacDougal instead of an organizational player. If Shapiro would have accepted then the Sox could put in a claim and cut some salary off of the '09 team, and if not, the Sox could have let him go to Boston. This non-move really annoys me though because taking Carrasco out of the bullpen to start likely hurts us in the bullpen by replacing him with someone who isn't good and it probably hurts us in the rotation also. Byrd at least would have been able to go out there every five days, and we'd still have a LR who can get the job done.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
And a team trading for Paul Byrd is the thing that makes you say that?

With Wakefield out and Buchholtz sucking, the Red Sox had a massive hole at the back of their rotation. Now they have Byrd to go with Beckett, Daiuske, and Lester. They have a much better shot of winning the division or keeping us out of the Wild Card now.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
Shapiro wouldn't have a choice. The Red Sox have the better record between the two, so if the good Sox made a claim it would be either a deal with us or no deal at all. The Red Sox offered an organizational player, not a prospect, per Theo Epstein. Byrd would have cost nothing at all yet the Sox didn't even put in a claim. It's probably because KW can't add salary, as there would be no other reason not to add Paul Byrd right now. We have nothing worth noting in the minors.

Paul Byrd cleared waivers last week right around the time Contreras was cleared to start on Saturday, meaning at the time the Sox had 5 starters already. He wasn't going to claim a player that he had no room for.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
Paul Byrd cleared waivers last week right around the time Contreras was cleared to start on Saturday, meaning at the time the Sox had 5 starters already. He wasn't going to claim a player that he had no room for.

Ahh, I just posted about that. Yeah, if that's the case then it makes sense.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
With Wakefield out and Buchholtz sucking, the Red Sox had a massive hole at the back of their rotation. Now they have Byrd to go with Beckett, Daiuske, and Lester. They have a much better shot of winning the division or keeping us out of the Wild Card now.

A better shot yes...but you basically said in your first post that the wild card and the East were now decided. I don't think Byrd makes THAT big of a difference that a run by the Sox or Twins or both can't make both races interesting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
A better shot yes...but you basically said in your first post that the wild card and the East were now decided. I don't think Byrd makes THAT big of a difference that a run by the Sox or Twins or both can't make both races interesting.

FWIW, I was pretty sure that the WC was coming out of the East prior to today. And given that the Red Sox were in desperate need of a #5, I disagree that Byrd isn't going to be a difference-maker for them. In that division, they're going to need every win they can get. A Buchholz start is almost an automatic loss and the guy they ran out there against the Rangers tonight got shelled.

I don't claim to have a crystal ball or anything and, yes, you're correct that the Sox or Twins would pick up the WC. But my money would be on the WC coming out of the East.

You have to go with logic here...when Byrd was placed on waivers, at that time, Contreras was still healthy and/or projected to pitch and return to the Sox rotation. Hence, KW passed on Byrd, because I'm sure taking on an additional starter (and something like $2-3 million dollars in payroll) simply as insurance and replacing Masset's role wouldn't have been warranted by that time. Then you have the fact that the asking price would have been much higher dealing within the division...for instance, there's a lot of speculation that the Yankees dumped Hawkins and solicited a deal with Houston to prevent him from going to the Twins, who they were scheduled to play in the near future and who many (including Gardenhire) were advocating to return as a 7th/8th inning guy with Neshek's comeback deemed improbable this season.

Sure, it's great to have depth and a quality back-up at every position on the 25 man roster, but it's just not realistic from a payroll standpoint, and the oft-mentioned fact our minor league system is a barren wasteland/abyss.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
You have to go with logic here...when Byrd was placed on waivers, at that time, Contreras was still healthy and/or projected to pitch and return to the Sox rotation. Hence, KW passed on Byrd, because I'm sure taking on an additional starter (and something like $2-3 million dollars in payroll) simply as insurance and replacing Masset's role wouldn't have been warranted by that time.

True, but Contreras was injured when Byrd cleared waivers, and to my best recollection remained injured when he was dealt to Boston.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
True, but Contreras was injured when Byrd cleared waivers, and to my best recollection remained injured when he was dealt to Boston.

Ozzie was quoted in the suntimes that they believe/d that their internal options were better...although how you argue Carrasco/Broadway over the veteran Byrd is beyond me. Maybe that's KW's official "company line."

Second, with three off days in the coming weeks, we can skip the 5th spot at least three times out of the final 8-9 starts. I guess it will be interesting to compare what happens (beginning tomorrow) with Bryd's Boston starts and compare the results in terms of quality starts and innings eaten.

I mean, when KW had a chance to make an official claim, he passed...at that point, the bidding was open to the best deal that was available. Because BOS has both more financial resources and minor league talent, and they're not in the same division, and Epstein was concerned with Buchholz and Wakefield was just DLed, he was probably the most aggressive and earliest bidder. They they announced exactly what the trade was yet or is it PTBNL?

Edited by caulfield12