8/12 Games

NorthSideSox72

Richmond @ Charlotte, just underway, Whisler starting, and still no Crede

B-Ham @ Tennessee, just underway, Dewon Day starting and still looking for his first victory in 10 starts

Wilmington @ Winston-Salem, just underway, Long starting

Kanny @ Asheville, scoreless in the first, Shirek starting

Idaho Falls @ Great Falls, 8pm CT, Dexter Carter starting and looking to continue his dominance

Elizabethton @ Bristol, scoreless in the 1st, Garrett Johnson starting

Garrett Johnson spun a no-hitter in six innings. Carter also has one of his own in I think five innings. Slowely, but surely, the lowel levels of the minors are starting to get some solid pitching prospects. I would really like to see what Daniel Hudson and Dex Carter can do in low A. Look at their numbers and they got nothing left to prove in rookie ball. But then again, the organizataion might want these guys to end on high notes and with confidence.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
I would really like to see what Daniel Hudson and Dex Carter can do in low A. Look at their numbers and they got nothing left to prove in rookie ball. But then again, the organizataion might want these guys to end on high notes and with confidence.

Yeah. The minor league teams wrap up the first week of September. Not much sense in moving guys around for just a few games.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=450315

.274/.372/.536... .908 OPS

405 at-bats; 31-doubles; 21-homeruns; 60 RBIs

Thanks.

Small sample size in B-Ham with only 86AB's, but he's got a .942 OPS there with 6 HR's and a 22/15 K/BB ratio. He also has a 1.114 OPS in games away from B-Ham.

I'd move him up to Charlotte next season, and see if he's the guy who can take over 1B from 2010 (depending on what we do with Konerko, Swisher, Griffey etc.).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
Thanks.

Small sample size in B-Ham with only 86AB's, but he's got a .942 OPS there with 6 HR's and a 22/15 K/BB ratio. He also has a 1.114 OPS in games away from B-Ham.

I'd move him up to Charlotte next season, and see if he's the guy who can take over 1B from 2010 (depending on what we do with Konerko, Swisher, Griffey etc.).

He is still really young. At least starting at B-ham would be a fine idea by me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
He is still really young. At least starting at B-ham would be a fine idea by me.

Either option would be ok, but I think he needs to be in Charlotte at some point next season, with the way he's been hitting this season.

The way Allen is driving the ball this year, he might put up some serious numbers in a hitter's park like Charlotte.

And with several of the pitching staff from this years Barons moving up to AAA next year + a couple of Charlotte hold-overs, the Knights could be a very interesting team to watch.

(Birmingham leads the Southern League in team ERA; has the lowest team WHIP; has given up the fewest homeruns; and is second lowest in walks.)

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
The way Allen is driving the ball this year, he might put up some serious numbers in a hitter's park like Charlotte.

Hence why I think it's worth putting him up there from the start (although I can see the argument that we'd be rushing him too fast).

Didn't Josh Fields put up great numbers in his 1st season for Charlotte though back in 2006?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
Personally I would like to see him stay in B-ham and get the playoff experience.

He'll get playoff experience in Birmingham this year since they qualified by winning the first half.

But I too am worried about rushing him too fast.

This is the first year he's shown any real plate discipline.

They ought to put him next year wherever they have the best batting coach and keep him working on taking walks and reducing strikeouts.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
And Lucas Harrell... but if they aren't pitching, Allen is pretty much the only one to keep an eye on, isn't he?

Besides Allen...

Gartrell is interesting. I'd keep an eye on him.

Negron has been surprising. He's likely to be promoted to Charlotte next year.

Other than that... not much to look at besides pitchers.

Of course, it was different before Cook and Cole Armstrong got promoted.