Clayton Richard

jasonxctf

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
Ouch. If I was him I'd much rather be at the Olympics after the last 2 starts he's had.

He's back in Charlotte's rotation and is scheduled to pitch tomorrow. He pitched last Friday against Pawtucket.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
He's back in Charlotte's rotation and is scheduled to pitch tomorrow. He pitched last Friday against Pawtucket.

I was just talking about pitching with the White Sox, had he not been called up he would've been in the clear and his last 2 starts with the Sox weren't good at all.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:08 AM)
I was just talking about pitching with the White Sox, had he not been called up he would've been in the clear and his last 2 starts with the Sox weren't good at all.

Yeah, by being called up, he became ineligible for the Olympics.

Not positive, but I'd imagine you don't get paid in the Olympics. Again, I'm not sure, but I imagine if you are called up, you get the pro-rated salary for the minimum major league wage from this point forward. I love the US as much as anyone, but I'd gladly take that money above anything else. There's a monstrous difference between $100,000 over 3 months rather than representing your country...one involves $100,000 and the other doesn't.

Through all of this, he had little choice at all, so nothing is really up to him...it was win-win either way, so he's lucky to be goddamn good at what he does (or injuries), regardless of whether he has success in the majors or not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
Not positive, but I'd imagine you don't get paid in the Olympics. Again, I'm not sure, but I imagine if you are called up, you get the pro-rated salary for the minimum major league wage from this point forward. I love the US as much as anyone, but I'd gladly take that money above anything else. There's a monstrous difference between $100,000 over 3 months rather than representing your country...one involves $100,000 and the other doesn't.

Through all of this, he had little choice at all, so nothing is really up to him...it was win-win either way, so he's lucky to be goddamn good at what he does (or injuries), regardless of whether he has success in the majors or not.

Isn't our Olympic basketball players professional do they not get paid? Why are our baseball players singled out?

Matt Ginter was pulled off the 2000 Olympic roster late in the season as the White Sox were struggling with injuries to their starting rotation...but his impact was pretty marginal, about the same as Richard's I would guess. Actually, Richard did have more of a negative impact than someone pitching out of the bullpen in mop-up IMO.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 07:24 AM)
Isn't our Olympic basketball players professional do they not get paid? Why are our baseball players singled out?

An Olympic basketball player doesn't interfere with the NBA season. For baseball, the Olympics fall right in pro baseball's prime time. So you have to miss time you're otherwise getting paid by a pro baseball for in order to play in the Olympics.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
An Olympic basketball player doesn't interfere with the NBA season. For baseball, the Olympics fall right in pro baseball's prime time. So you have to miss time you're otherwise getting paid by a pro baseball for in order to play in the Olympics.

But some of the minor league guys are on team's 40 man rosters? I gues i dont completely get it

if you were in the minors at a certain date, you could go to the Olympics, but if you were called up like Richard, you missed out. Teagarden does have MLB service this season, but he was back in the minors in time to go to Beijing

Edited by WSoxMatt