Gordon "Slayer" Beckham Signs for 2.6 Million

chisox2334

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Sweet. Can we just start him in the majors instead of OC? (sarcasm) Can't wait to see what he does and hope he is a big leaguer (maybe 3rd base or 2nd base) by 2010.

Why is he always mentioned playing 2nd base, or 3rd but never SS, where he played in college?

Congrats on the signing.

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
Why is he always mentioned playing 2nd base, or 3rd but never SS, where he played in college?

Congrats on the signing.

I think most people figure Alexi will be the Sox shortstop after this season.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
I think most people figure Alexi will be the Sox shortstop after this season.

And let me just say that would be a huge mistake. Ramirez seems like an ideal 2nd baseman, and I'm not so sure his defense will translate well to SS.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
And let me just say that would be a huge mistake. Ramirez seems like an ideal 2nd baseman, and I'm not so sure his defense will translate well to SS.

Also Alexei already proved he can play stellar 2B, where Beckham would have to start the transition from SS to 2B and who knows how that would work.

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
Also Alexei already proved he can play stellar 2B, where Beckham would have to start the transition from SS to 2B and who knows how that would work.

That's because scouts predicted Beckham won't have to range to be an everyday SS, while from what we've seen with Alexei so far, that might not be an issue at all for him.

Depends what we do in the off-season with a 2B/SS though.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
It's a lot harder to find a good SS than a 2B, if Alexei could handle SS then it opens up a whole lot more options for this team next year. If you leave him at 2B then you have to go out and find a starting SS which isn't exactly easy.

Rafael Furcal. But I digress.

advanced scouting report from mlb.com:

Hitting Ability: Beckham is a line-drive hitter who consistently squares up on the ball and works the count to his advantage.

Power: He's got suprising power considering his size, with average to a tick above-average pop.

Running Speed: He has average speed and is better once underway.

Base Running: He's got good instincts and is an excellent baserunner.

Arm Strength: His arm grades out as average to a tick above and plays fine from shortstop.

Fielding: He's a very natural defender, but he's fighting his size a bit at short and might profile better as a second baseman.

Range: He has above-average range.

Physical Description: Beckham is not an imposing figure, nor does he look particularly imposing at first glance.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: His bat. He's got outstanding hitting skills and more than a little power. He plays the game the right way.

Weaknesses: While he's fine at short for now, it might not be the best long-term defensive home for him.

Summary: At first glance, he doesn't stand out. But then you watch him play for a little and can't help but be impressed. Beckham has quality at-bats and some pretty good pop, which is surprising, considering his size. He's capable of being an excellent defender, but might be better suited at second as a pro. He's the kind of college infielder who should come off the board quickly.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
It's a lot harder to find a good SS than a 2B, if Alexei could handle SS then it opens up a whole lot more options for this team next year. If you leave him at 2B then you have to go out and find a starting SS which isn't exactly easy.

I think Alexei's range and arm strength are fine for playing SS. It's also his natural position. He's shown off his range and arm numerous times this year, wow'ing a lot of us on many occasions

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Rafael Furcal. But I digress.

And if he just re-signs with the Dodgers? They have deeper pockets, a willingness to spend, he's currently employed by their organization, they love him, he loves them and they have no clear in-house replacement. Are the Sox going to throw $50M+ at a middle infielder with a history of injury? He could easily be off the market before the Sox even get a chance to talk to him. Aside from Furcal, I'm not seeing a whole hell of a lot of options.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
So would Beckham be the ideal #2 hitter for this team?

Reading his advanced scouting page, I think that fits him, but in 2 years who knows

I think he's more of a 7th hitter (which isn't bad in the AL). I expect he'll be a .275 hitter with 20 homer pop and a leader on the field.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
.291-.359-.479-.838

33 2B, 24HR, 99RBI, 130K's

I think his batting average will be a little lower, more due to the Colorado factor for Tulo. One thing I loved seeing about Beckham is he's a line drive hitter, and that's been missing from our organization for a long time.