Broadway to start Thursday (8/14)

justBLAZE

FWIW, I think this is a big mistake, and will likely cause the Sox to use Carrasco for a significant amount of innings out of the bullpen. I would have rather just try to preserve the pen tonight with Buehrle on the mound, and then go for the win tomorrow with Carrasco going 5 innings and then turn it over to a fresh pen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I still remember the "Why the Hell isn't Brian Anderson our starting CF" posts that were rampant just after Spring Training.

Quentin had a track record of success in the minors and majors when healthy, deserved his chance, and the rest is history.

Too many people are "experts" on here.

It's not like Swisher has blown anyone away this year to make that look like it would be a stupid decision.

Poreda is NOT ready. I have seen him pitch live a couple times. Hes got great stuff, but hes just not Major League ready. The first person to tell you that would be POREDA. He was in Single A this year, dont forget that.

Next year, maybe for the summer. Not this year, no chance

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Don't forget that a team claimed Washburn today...could very well be the Sox. Is there any chance of a rain out tomorrow? Also, I heard last night we'll face Gio this wknd. That should make for a fun game thread.

Sounds like Gio looked pretty good in his debut last night. I saw some ESPN action and his fastball was at about 92 and he showed a real good breaking ball

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
I haven't been following the minors closely, but everyone says he didn't look good at all this season.

I saw him pitch in Louisville in July and he was perfect for the 1st 3 innings, but the 2nd time around the Bats figured it was better to lay off his off-speed stuff and he was forced to throw is fastball (which maybe topped out at 92mph). He ended up giving up 6 runs in the next 2 innings.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
^^^.

He did pretty damn well in his start last season. Not saying that it's going to happen again, but he'll be up against a mediocre team and if he can win a game for us here and there, the better.

Hopefully he does better than Richard did.

Every young pitcher has to start somewhere I guess. Broadway can show us what he is made of on Thursday.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Sounds like Gio looked pretty good in his debut last night. I saw some ESPN action and his fastball was at about 92 and he showed a real good breaking ball

Last night was the second game he's started.

He had people swinging at curveballs that practically bounced off the plate.

They looked like they were coming in waist high and then the floor dropped out.

I can just imagine some of the threads/posts if Javy has a crap game and Gio beats us.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Don't forget that a team claimed Washburn today...could very well be the Sox.

It's possible, but there are quite a few teams in front of us, including the Yankees and Twins. I don't think that the latter would let Washburn get to us.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
It's possible, but there are quite a few teams in front of us, including the Yankees and Twins. I don't think that the latter would let Washburn get to us.

On the other hand, Heyman today said that Washburn cleared waivers.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Broadway has some of the tell tale signs of a guy who was "bored"/working on stuff in the minor leagues. The problem is, his stuff isn't good enough for me to trust that was the case and thus he'll be solid in the majors. I hope I'm wrong though.

What were the tell tale signs you speak of? He started off great, but has been horrendous for a while.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)

Yes they would. They have no interest assuming that contract. The Yankees may have claimed him. Since they were interested in him before, I don't see why they wouldn't.

I think the Sox know alot more than any of us. Broadway is a SP and Carrasco is a bullpen guy.Why would you switch it around ? Let's see what Broadway actually does before all of us "scouts" say he has nothing. Most people just judge a prospect by how hard they can throw. I think it's kind of funny in this thread that Gio's fastball topping out at 92 is great while LB's topping out at 92 is not so great. He can't be any worse than the crap Richard threw up there and most people were looking forward/wanting to see him pitch. Broadway may end up stinking but do you really think if the Sox thought Poreda or Egbert gave them a better shot at winning that they would be up here instead?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
I think the Sox know alot more than any of us. Broadway is a SP and Carrasco is a bullpen guy.Why would you switch it around ? Let's see what Broadway actually does before all of us "scouts" say he has nothing. Most people just judge a prospect by how hard they can throw. I think it's kind of funny in this thread that Gio's fastball topping out at 92 is great while LB's topping out at 92 is not so great. He can't be any worse than the crap Richard threw up there and most people were looking forward/wanting to see him pitch. Broadway may end up stinking but do you really think if the Sox thought Poreda or Egbert gave them a better shot at winning that they would be up here instead?

Carrasco has been great in the bullpen, I like the fact the Sox will keep him there. Chances are, he'd be a mediocre to bad starter. He pretty much has been one his entire career. There's no reason to weaken the bullpen to have him struggle as a starter. Leave him where he's had success. As for Broadway, this is just sad. One thing about it though, I bet if Broadway fails, his career as a White Sox will not extend beyond 2008.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
As for Broadway, this is just sad. One thing about it though, I bet if Broadway fails, his career as a White Sox will not extend beyond 2008.

You act like he's a 30 year old journeyman or something.

He's 24.

Teams don't dump 1st round draft pick pitchers at 24 years old.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Luckily, it's against the Royals, but this isn't the same team as last year who he dominated. Why would we start a guy who was bad in AAA over a guy like Poreda who has the stuff and control or even Carrasco? This organization continues to amaze me with their decisions.

And you have won how many World Series rings running an organization???

Too many people are "experts" on here.

Great point. A lot of us think we know it all. I wonder if all MLB message boards have so many people who know it all. I mean Broadway may suck tomorrow but Richard sucked as well. I see no reason to make Carrasco a starter. Might as well trot out another candidate. We gave Richard 3 shots and he sucked. Hope our bats are alive tomorrow. They should be against another royals righy but youneverknow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Yes they would. They have no interest assuming that contract.

And you know this for sure because...?

Given that their surgically-repaired "ace" got demoted to the minors earlier this year and has a long history of injury problems , that Livan Hernandez was so bad that they put him on waivers, and that nobody else in their rotation has thrown 150 innings in the bigs before, I think that the Twins have more than a few reasons to go after a veteran starter with a ton of playoff experience and a very manageable/tradeable contract. And, of course, the only team potentially keeping them out of the playoffs is also looking for another starting pitcher. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's pretty silly to completely dismiss it.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
I am more optimistic about Broadway than I was about Richard. I have a feeling Broadway is going to give us some quality innings this year. What does his fastball top at?

looking at his last 10 starts in charlotte, that would be quite a turnaround. He's been walking batters and getting shelled.

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
I am more optimistic about Broadway than I was about Richard. I have a feeling Broadway is going to give us some quality innings this year. What does his fastball top at?

as I recall, he's pretty much generally in the 88-91 range

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
except the phillies :lol:

damn you beating me to it

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
And you know this for sure because...?

Given that their surgically-repaired "ace" got demoted to the minors earlier this year and has a long history of injury problems , that Livan Hernandez was so bad that they put him on waivers, and that nobody else in their rotation has thrown 150 innings in the bigs before, I think that the Twins have more than a few reasons to go after a veteran starter with a ton of playoff experience and a very manageable/tradeable contract. And, of course, the only team potentially keeping them out of the playoffs is also looking for another starting pitcher. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's pretty silly to completely dismiss it.

Because Carl Pohlad is the cheapest owner in sports. Don't forget, Washburn who has been mediocre at best the past 2 or 3 seasons, is owed over $10 million for next year. To say Washburn's contract is manageable, maybe, tradeable? They seem to be having a hard time doing it. They didn't claim Paul Byrd and he is owed nothing in 2009. That's more manageable.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
And you have won how many World Series rings running an organization???

I dont know where you come off saying that, everyone is entitled to their opinion.... It's is not like there havent been a number of times people here have questioned a move that turned out to be a disaster. Sometimes we are wrong but just because your not a GM of a team doesnt mean your wrong about something.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
I dont know where you come off saying that, everyone is entitled to their opinion.... It's is not like there havent been a number of times people here have questioned a move that turned out to be a disaster. Sometimes we are wrong but just because your not a GM of a team doesnt mean your wrong about something.

This reminds me of 2006 all over again.

Everything KW did was "magical" and the past (Ritchie trade, trading for the wrong "Barry/Berry" with the Dodgers, dumping Durham for Adkins and getting no draft picks back, "Moneyball," etc.) was forgotten.

I think KW is an average to above average GM, somewhere between 12-18 in the majors.

I try to be pretty objective about the guy...last year, I didn't think he was the worst GM in baseball by a long stretch. I don't think "KW won a World Series, have/did you?" makes every move he has made perfect and unquestionable. I just really hate that kind of logic or argument. Eventually, even the Bulls had to part with Krause, as most realized that it was MJ and Pippen and not the "wizard" GM who was responsible for the team's success.

He's a good GM, but not a great one. He's made some super acquisitions, but he's done almost nothing in Latin America or the Pacific Rim, and the White Sox drafting history/success rate has been horrible, especially first rounders. OTOH, the White Sox, I think, are behind only the Yankees and Braves (maybe the Red Sox now too) if you go back and look at organizational winning percentage since around 1990 or 91.

Of course, this leads to the other main point for Sox fans....until 2005, lack of success in the playoffs, and letting the Twins, with a much lower budget, get the better of him year after year after year.

Edited by caulfield12