All-Time Worst big-name players of the Sox history

wilmot825

I forgot a coach/gm to manage this club of goofs!

GM- Hawk Harrleson (Love the Hawk but dude, Firing LaRussa. Tell me u were drunk?)

MG- Terry Bevington (Not really "high profile" but none of our managers were. This guy....this guy...)

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
I forgot a coach/gm to manage this club of goofs!

GM- Hawk Harrleson (Love the Hawk but dude, Firing LaRussa. Tell me u were drunk?)

MG- Terry Bevington (Not really "high profile" but none of our managers were. This guy....this guy...)

Bev was entertaining.

Just based upon the title of this thread: "All Time Worst big-name players of the Sox history -- Their name outplayed their game," Griffey may have a permanent OF spot awaiting him on the original list. Look at his career, what he once was, what we expected (not MVP calibur numbers, but certaintly not what he's producing right now), and tell me that doesn't fit the discription. He fits the bill perfectly. Admit it.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
What about Crazy Carl? He was a pretty big name and never really did much with us.

him and pods were pretty much our offense the first half of 05 until Konerko and Dye finally remembered they were allowed to use bats.

Two words: Cory Snyder.

Put up stud numbers in Cleveland, lasted 50 games with us and not even getting to the Mendoza line. It could be argued that he was a flash in the pan after his first three seasons. I remember watching him slide to catch a ball in LF, which he missed, and then got up to look at his hand before locating the ball and getting it back into the infield.

QUOTE (Drew @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:53 AM)

Put up stud numbers in Cleveland, lasted 50 games with us and not even getting to the Mendoza line. It could be argued that he was a flash in the pan after his first three seasons. I remember watching him slide to catch a ball in LF, which he missed, and then got up to look at his hand before locating the ball and getting it back into the infield.

Cory Snyder

Steve Sax

Steve Carlton

Bo Jackson

George Bell

Dale Sveum (well, that's pushing it)

Dave Stieb

Jon Kruk

Chris Sabo

Jim Abbott

Dave Righetti

Rob Dibble

Joe Magrane

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
That's just wrong...

It should be last leg.

Glad someone mentioned Dibble. But that felt more injury related.

Sandy Alomar's inclusion on the list seems more a testiment that we haven't really had too many problems at catcher. Unless we were expecting a younger Alomar.

As a kid in the late 80's to mid 90's I would have to say:

Steve Sax

George Bell

Mike Carruso

David Wells

Ben Wallace (do the Bulls count ;) )

Robby Alomar

Sandy Alomar

Darin Erstad

John Kruk lol didnt he quite because it was too hot or something?

There we a lot who had career downspirals after a year or 2:

Albert Belle had one monster year with us,but quickly fell off.

Jose Valentin had an amazing 2000, but just wasnt the same after that.

Pretty much all of the 2000 white sox: many had career years such as: Herbert Perry, Chris Singleton, Ray Durham, Mike Sirotka, Jim Parque, James Baldwin etc....

QUOTE (Drew @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:53 AM)

Damn, you got there first. But he never put up stud numbers...he hit a lot of homers but hit for s***ty average and never got on base.

Easily Cory Snyder. Everytime that guy came up it was an easy out.

David Wells is on there.

I don't care what anyone says, I liked having Canseco for those few months. It was exciting when he came up to bat.

Bart Colon and David Wells would always stick out in my eyes. Boomer was cool and I was fine with his personality, but the fact that he kept getting injured in a year we were supposed to compete for a title just made me shake my head. Bart was an ok guy, but everyone made it seem like he would be a Cy Young award winner for sure. That's what I was expecting, but to me he was just a solid starter.