Worst Franchise

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
I'll say Washington. At least teams like KC and Cincinnati have won a world series.

If Cincinnati is on the list, Pittsburgh is on the list as well.

Cincinnati was a powerhouse in the 70s and won a World Series are recently as 1990.

Anyways, this is easily the Montreal/Washington franchise.

With Beltre, Washburn, Ichiro, Bedard, and Putz?? locked up with so much money invested in each guy, along with the fact that they traded their #1 prospect for that wuss-bag Bedard, makes me believe Seattle deserves some consideration.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
With Beltre, Washburn, Ichiro, Bedard, and Putz?? locked up with so much money invested in each guy, along with the fact that they traded their #1 prospect for that wuss-bag Bedard, makes me believe Seattle deserves some consideration.

Although they set a record for wins in a season in 2001.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Although they set a record for wins in a season in 2001.

Actually they tied with the 1907 or 1908 Cubs. But, they did set a 162 game schedule record.

And yet, the Expos were arguably the favorites in the strike year to win a title.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
Actually they tied with the 1907 or 1908 Cubs. But, they did set a 162 game schedule record.

And yet, the Expos were arguably the favorites in the strike year to win a title.

And in the next few seasons the Expos dumped all of their good players. Plus that's been 14 years ago, the Mariners were only 7 years ago. Sure the Mariners are one of the biggest dissapointments this year, but I have a hard time putting them in the mentioning of the worst teams in all of baseball. They have 4 90+ win seasons this decade. Granted they all game from 2000-2003.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
And in the next few seasons the Expos dumped all of their good players. Plus that's been 14 years ago, the Mariners were only 7 years ago. Sure the Mariners are one of the biggest dissapointments this year, but I have a hard time putting them in the mentioning of the worst teams in all of baseball. They have 4 90+ win seasons this decade. Granted they all game from 2000-2003.

So what makes for the current worst franchise? To invest so much into a team this year, to have such high hopes, to trade away your best prospect...only now to be close to 30 games out, if it isn't there already. They are in deep trouble for the future and they will have top 10 picks for 3-5 years still because of this. It's a messed up organization and now nobody is going to want to go there.

I just hope Joey Cora can fix 'em up next year. ;)

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
What's your deal with hating on Seattle, they came close to the Wild Card last year and many people, including some on this website picked them to make the playoffs this year.

Yeah, Seattle has no business being on that last. To be among the worst franchises in baseball, it takes a long period of being just plain awful. Even a team like Cincinnati finished only 2 games behind the eventual world champion Cardinals in 2006, as well as made a one game playoff in 1999. Teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh have had no hope for over a decade. Even the one exception to this rule to some degree, the 2003 Royals, finished in 3rd place. I guess you could put the Nationals/Expos on this list too, although I think they have some hope as soon as Jim Bowden is fired.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
What's your deal with hating on Seattle, they came close to the Wild Card last year and many people, including some on this website picked them to make the playoffs this year.

I actually love the city and the park, so it's not that. It might just be that they flat out stink and have so much money invested in so many medicore players (with the exception being Ichiro). They came close last year- great. Many picked them on this website to make the playoffs this year- exactly, so now that they aren't even close to that, they've under-achieved badly this year, and because of it, the team will be in shambles for so many years to come.

It's going to be tough extending Felix now, too.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Yeah, Seattle has no business being on that last. To be among the worst franchises in baseball, it takes a long period of being just plain awful. Even a team like Cincinnati finished only 2 games behind the eventual world champion Cardinals in 2006, as well as made a one game playoff in 1999. Teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh have had no hope for over a decade. Even the one exception to this rule to some degree, the 2003 Royals, finished in 3rd place. I guess you could put the Nationals/Expos on this list too, although I think they have some hope as soon as Jim Bowden is fired.

Yeah, and this question is so vague that there can be multiple answers. The common goal is to win the World Series, so does that mean since the Cubs, Indians, and Giants have the longest droughts, they're the worst franchises in baseball. Or the Marlins load up their team for a year and dismantle it after that, winning 2 World Series with no division titles, does that mean they're the worst team for cheating the system, and their fans, the fans never come to the stadium anyways. It depends what the variables are to decide who is the worst team, but for the most part Washington is going to be mentioned in almost every category.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
I actually love the city and the park, so it's not that. It might just be that they flat out stink and have so much money invested in so many medicore players (with the exception being Ichiro). They came close last year- great. Many picked them on this website to make the playoffs this year- exactly, so now that they aren't even close to that, they've under-achieved badly this year, and because of it, the team will be in shambles for so many years to come.

It's going to be tough extending Felix now, too.

I really, strongly doubt the Mariners will be in shambles...they still have a pretty good minor league system, have a great connection to the Japanese market thanks to the owner and Ichiro, and have pieces that they can deal for prospects.

I also don't know why it would be tough to extend Hernandez, seeing as how he won't be a free agent until like after the 2011 season and every single one of their "bad" contracts will be off the books by then. The bigger debate will be as to whether or not they'll want to resign him, because for all we know, his arm might have been torn off by a pack of wolves in the greater Washington region.

Seattle belongs nowhere on this list at all, and I can't see any argument justifying such a claim.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:02 AM)
That could have been said right after the 06 season for the Sox. In September of 2007, it looked like the Sox would be in trouble for a LONG TIME. As others have said, the M's don't deserve to be anywhere near this list.

Right now, it was to be Washington, followed up by Pitt. Another good one is the Rangers. That franchise overall f***ing sucks.

That's true. Good point.

And, I agree about Texas.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:17 AM)
Houston Astros

Yeah they'd be my choice also.

Fairly big payroll, only 1 real good starting pitcher, absolutely no farm system to speak of, and that team has a LOT of veteran players.

I was tempted to say the San Francisco Giants also.

The Pirates at least now have a plan for rebuilding.

IIRC the Astros were in a World Series a couple years ago.

One of my criteria would be no post season appearances in the past ten years. I'd be hard pressed to pick a League Champion as having the worst franchise.