8/13 Games

bighurt4life

Charlotte loses to Richmond

Our new acquisition German gives up 3ER in 1IP, other than that he was great.

Sauerbeck walked 6 in 1.1IP

Owens 2-4 2B BB

Fields 2-4 1SB BB

Colina 1-2 HR

Birmingham loses to Tennesee

McCullough gives up 13R in 4.1IP

Allen 3-5 2B HR

Gartrell 2-5 HR

W-S beats Wilmington

Paulo Orlando has gone deep in two games against his former team since we traded him. In 3 games with his new team he's 7-14 with 3 2B, 1 3B, 2HR and a paltry 1.816 OPS

Retherford 1-4 2B

Kannapolis beats Asheville

Castillo 2-4 2B his avg is .444 in kanny so far. .373 on the season between kanny and bristol but he doesn't hit for much power

Escobar 0-3 BB RBI

Beckham supposed to join the team tomorrow (today) hopefully he'll get a chance to pinch hit or even start

Great Falls beats Idaho Falls

Kuhn 2-5, hitting .368

O'Neil got rocked again era above 8

Bristol loses to Elizabethton

Dubler 3-3 finally hitting after a very slow start. avg up to .237

Silverio 2-4 1SB

Brandon Allen is the new Chris Carter.

Carter 2007 / Age 20 Season / Low-A

.291 / .383 / .522 ... 112K 67 BB in 126 games

Allen 2008 / Age 22 Season / High-A / AA

.278 / .374 / .546 ... 106 K 56 BB in 114 games

Almost eerie the lines they've put up. Kannapolis is a tougher hitter's league than Winston-Salem, but it's balanced out by the tougher High-A pitching. Age is a bit of a wash since they were both born in 1986. Allen has slightly more pop but has slightly less contact (I mean, slightly).

Carter 2008 has put up similar numbers to Carter 2007, but has done so in a very good hitter's league, while Allen has performed fairly well in a pitcher's league.

I was bummed about trading Carter at the time (even though I liked getting Quentin, just would have preferred to give up something else), but you'd have to say that Allen is looking like every bit the prospect Carter was. I guess you trade Carter since his stock is higher and since he is a 15th round pick and you believe his production is a bit more than he will be able to sustain. Of course, when you get a potential MVP for him, the trade is a steal for the Sox.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:23 AM)
Kannapolis beats Asheville

Castillo 2-4 2B his avg is .444 in kanny so far. .373 on the season between kanny and bristol but he doesn't hit for much power

Jorge Castillo was leading the Appalachian League in hitting at the time he was promoted.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Miranda is promoted back to W-S to make room for Beckham.

It would be a nice way for Miranda to redeem himself since he started the year at W-S.

He's been very good at Kanny.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
Brandon Allen is the new Chris Carter.

Carter 2007 / Age 20 Season / Low-A

.291 / .383 / .522 ... 112K 67 BB in 126 games

Allen 2008 / Age 22 Season / High-A / AA

.278 / .374 / .546 ... 106 K 56 BB in 114 games

Almost eerie the lines they've put up. Kannapolis is a tougher hitter's league than Winston-Salem, but it's balanced out by the tougher High-A pitching. Age is a bit of a wash since they were both born in 1986. Allen has slightly more pop but has slightly less contact (I mean, slightly).

Carter 2008 has put up similar numbers to Carter 2007, but has done so in a very good hitter's league, while Allen has performed fairly well in a pitcher's league.

I was bummed about trading Carter at the time (even though I liked getting Quentin, just would have preferred to give up something else), but you'd have to say that Allen is looking like every bit the prospect Carter was. I guess you trade Carter since his stock is higher and since he is a 15th round pick and you believe his production is a bit more than he will be able to sustain. Of course, when you get a potential MVP for him, the trade is a steal for the Sox.

Just like Josh Fields, they are going to have to find a way to cut down on the swing a bit.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Jorge Castillo was leading the Appalachian League in hitting at the time he was promoted.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Miranda is promoted back to W-S to make room for Beckham.

It would be a nice way for Miranda to redeem himself since he started the year at W-S.

He's been very good at Kanny.

I was thinking that about Miranda too, but, two problems there. First, where does he play in W-S? Paiml is at SS (and not playing that well), and I think Persichina is their 2B and is doing pretty well. Seems a bit crowded.

Second, Miranda has been playing primarily 2B at Kanny. Escobar, who is struggling, has been the SS. So, assuming Beckham plays SS at Kanny, that probably means its Escobar going elsewhere, not Miranda.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
I was thinking that about Miranda too, but, two problems there. First, where does he play in W-S? Paiml is at SS (and not playing that well), and I think Persichina is their 2B and is doing pretty well. Seems a bit crowded.

Second, Miranda has been playing primarily 2B at Kanny. Escobar, who is struggling, has been the SS. So, assuming Beckham plays SS at Kanny, that probably means its Escobar going elsewhere, not Miranda.

I'd just promote Miranda and let the managers figure it out. :)

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 05:23 AM)
W-S beats Wilmington

Paulo Orlando has gone deep in two games against his former team since we traded him. In 3 games with his new team he's 7-14 with 3 2B, 1 3B, 2HR and a paltry 1.816 OPS

Retherford 1-4 2B

His first three games with Wilmington have been against Winston-Salem in Winston-Salem. Seems like he wasn't happy about being traded.