50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

31. Jon Garland

33-62637-F.jpg

(7 of 27 lists - 69 points - highest ranking #9 Texsox)

bio by TexSox -

The romantic notion of a World Series win is the star players hoisting the team on their shoulders to victory. Often times the reality is that the average players achieved extraordinary results. Jon Garland was a shining example of that during the White Sox regular season and playoff run.

Heading into 2005, Garland had put together a 46-51 record. Staffs across the league are filled with fourth and fifth starters with these records. In the days of four man rotations and pitchers starting 40 games, he might not have been in the majors; certainly he would have spent another season or two in the minors. There were the flashes of brilliance that confirmed why the Cubs made him the #10 pick overall in the amateur draft, but then there were the starts that earned him the not so kind nickname Judy.

But 2005 changed all that. Mirroring the team's success, and displaying a "California Cool" exterior, he racked up win after win. At the midway point of the season, he was selected to the All-Star team. Buerhle, with his splashing through rain delays and perpetual smile, was the antithesis to Garland. Like Batman and Robin, or Dahl and Meier, Garland was the straight man. More reserved and less heart on the sleeve, the yin and yang played nicely in the clubhouse and on the field. There were plenty of outgoing personalities, from AJ behind the plate to Rowand in the outfield. Garland was the balance.

Garland made his first start during the ALCS and any doubts about this back of the rotation starter were erased as he pitched a complete game, four hit victory. How many kids throwing against garage walls dream of such an event? His 36 wins in 2005/2006 were the most in the major leagues, again, not bad for a back of the rotation starter.

For me Garland will forever be the example of what needs to happen to win a World Series. It isn't always the big name heroes, but average men achieving greatness. Something I believe everyone has in them. People find inspiration in many things, no doubt this is an inspirational story.

If I would have made a list... Jon Garland would have been #1 for me....

It was the most rewarding thing for me as a fan, to watch Jon mature from a STEAL from the CUBS to a All-star pitcher, and than a World Series Champ. While I was Jon's biggest fan, I was also his biggest critic and would always get frustrated when he had a Judy inning (after cruising along) and blow a game.

Still, sticking with a guy and watching him thrive... is the most rewarding experience for a serious baseball fan.

Not to criticize the bio, but it drudged up some bad feelings for me. I'd almost forgotten about the arguments I was constantly involved in with other Sox fans back in the day about whether Garland was a bust or whether he'd be a legit major league pitcher. I think it's a little disgraceful that the guy was a solid starting pitcher (190+ IP with a league average ERA) in his early twenties and fans were going around calling him "Judy" and questioning whether he'd "pan out."

Garland made his first start during the ALCS and any doubts about this back of the rotation started were erased as he pitched a complete game, four hit victory. How many kids throwing against the garage wall dream of such an event?

So well written. Good job.

I really really like Garland. My Soxtalk fantasy team is named JonGarlandLives. I hate the negative nickname Judy for some reason.

Wow, I'm surprised Garland is this low, and that the highest he was on any any single list was only 9(I had him 13 my self). He contributed 8 years here(much more than plenty of players in front of him, I'm sure) and may just have been the most talked about player in that time frame, along with MB.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Basically, Garland is Batman. Buehrle is Robin. By far one of the most underappreciated players ever.

Garland is still one of my favorite players and I will cheer for him for a long time. He always got ripped around here.

Just like anyone on the 05 team especially him coming through that year I will always remember him for that. Those back to back shutouts he tossed in the regular season were very enjoyable to watch. I also agree, he should have been rated a little higher.

Garland always showed flashes of the ability to dominate at the big league level. These flashes caused us to be dissatisfied with his ability to be consistently average, which is in its own way great. Had a different pitcher, one without such high expectations from us, been so wonderfully average at all times for 8 years, that person would have been much more adored.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
i can't believe keith foulke was higher than garland...especially with the bad blood foulke left with and the times he blasted the sox after he left.....

I'm wondering if the entire starting pitching from 2005 will be represented.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
For me Garland will forever be the example of what needs to happen to win a World Series. It isn’t always the big name heroes, but average men achieving greatness. Something everyone has in them. People find inspiration in many things, no doubt this is an inspirational story.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
Still, sticking with a guy and watching him thrive... is the most rewarding experience for a serious baseball fan.

Good bio and good points. Jon is a perfect example of how patience with young players can sometimes pay massive dividends... and it's very fulfilling to watch

Jon was never really one of my favorites and he'll probably never have an '05-like season again, but I can't thank him enough for that season. We might not have even won the division in '05 without Jon lighting it up early in the season and giving us that huge lead. I really wish that Kenny and Ozzie somehow could've magically found room in the rotation for one more year of him.