If you were drawing up the Top 10 prospects today, what

caulfield12

would it look like, after the Danks and Beckham signings?

2) Do you still think we are the worst system in baseball, or can we argue we've gained on anyone in front of us?

3) Assuming we lose Cabrera and Crede and decline/buy out Griffey, but retain Thome, what are the projected compensation picks? Isn't Crede going to be lucky to be Type B/C after the last 2 seasons? What about Uribe?

I haven't followed the minors at all this season, so I would guess our Top 10 would have some of the following players...

Getz

Poreda

Fields (i don't think he qualifies as a rookie anymore, although technically a prospect as far as i'm concerned)

C. Richard

Jose Martinez

Juan Silverio

Danks

Beckham

Broadway

Adam Russell

John Shelby, Jr.

Others under consideration

Brandon Allen

Egbert

Ely

McCulloch

Daniel Hudson

Po-Yu Lin

Dexter Carter

You gotta have David Cook in the top 30 at least.

Top Hitters

Beckham/Shelby III (I'd wait to see what Beckham does in his two weeks with Kanny.)

Danks

Getz

Bourgeois

Allen

Cook

Retherford

Gartrell

Fields

Armstrong (He needs a lot of work with the bat but has a lot of power, hitting well at Charlotte, he is a workhorse behind the plate though)

Logan Johnson

Martinez (Missed a lot of time this year.)

Gallagher

Top picthers

Poreda (Needs work on his offspeed stuff, his fastball doesn't pop the glove for some reason, doesn't need a lot of effort to throw it though.)

Richard

Cassel

Russell

Broadway

Ely

Dexter Carter

Nevin Griffith

McCulloch (Feast or famine, not consistent enough.)

Daniel Hudson

Carlos Torres (Out on a limb here, but he's been a K machine this year as a starter.)

Egbert (He's had a rough year though, but his K's are up.)

Whisler (Great year so far pitching in a hitters park)

Edited by JPN366

Probably something like:

1. Beckham

2. Poreda

3. Allen

4. Shelby

5. Egbert

6. Richard

7. Getz

8. Danks

9. Hudson

10. Martinez

Whoa, I apparently like Martinez so much I put him on there twice. Meant to throw Getz on there at 7.

The bottom of our system is looking good, especially with some real good draft picks this year, but AA and AAA are still thin.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Probably something like:

1. Beckham

2. Poreda

3. Allen

4. Shelby

5. Egbert

6. Richard

7. Getz

8. Danks

9. Hudson

10. Martinez

Whoa, I apparently like Martinez so much I put him on there twice. Meant to throw Getz on there at 7.

The bottom of our system is looking good, especially with some real good draft picks this year, but AA and AAA are still thin.

Dexter Carter for #1.

Even though Silverio is struggling right now, isn't he still only 17 years old, or maybe 18?

When they were signed, which one was thought to have more potential (compared to J. Martinez)? I know Silverio has a good arm, by glancing at his stats, it doesn't look like he's stealing many bases. Of course, this is not a huge indication of basestealing and speed at the MLB level, many Sox prospects like Fields have had in the vicinity of 30 steals and Josh is a slightly above average 3B in terms of speed. Maybe now average to below average with his injury problems.

How many of you have seen either Silverio or Martinez play? Are they similar to Ramirez in build? Do you still think both will make it to the White Sox, or it's just impossible to project until they at least have some success in Winston-Salem down the road?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
If rules allowed it, Carter would #1-30.

What's the story with Carter? What's his arsenal? Does he project as a starter or reliever? Obviously, I can look at his stats and peripherals and be impressed (as with many stats in Rookie League or DSL/Venezuela), but who has "eyeballed" him in person?

Why was he drafted relatively low? Signability issues?

I always look at players drafted outside of the first five rounds with a bit more skepticism, but there are tons of examples like Buehrle and Piazza who weren't high drafts or who weren't noticed by most teams (Pujols).

Edited by caulfield12

I read somewhere that, if they were revising the list to take into account the first half of the season, that Chris Getz was even getting some consideration for #1 and definitely #2 prospect in the system.

In some ways, that's a little depressing, because many don't project him to be much more than a good utility player in the majors, but it shows how far and consistently his stock has risen as a prospect since signing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
I read somewhere that, if they were revising the list to take into account the first half of the season, that Chris Getz was even getting some consideration for #1 and definitely #2 prospect in the system.

In some ways, that's a little depressing, because many don't project him to be much more than a good utility player in the majors, but it shows how far and consistently his stock has risen as a prospect since signing.

I find that really hard to believe

Problem with these lists is that it really depends on your idea of balance, between ceiling/future value and how close they are to contributing. That's where you get some differences, where Getz for example might be 2nd or 3rd because he's ready.

Also, who falls under prospect? What about guys like Mike MacDougal or Ehren Wassermann, who are at AAA but have played major league ball? Or a guy like Brian Anderson? I assume those are not really prospects anymore, but that's a matter of opinion. I assume Broadway and Russell are still prospects, though.

But trying to combine the two, here is what I come up with for quick and dirty lists...

PITCHERS

1. Poreda

2. Broadway

3. Richard

4. Egbert

5. Cassel

6. Link

7. Harrell

8. Teixera

9. Shirek

10. D Carter

12. Hudson

13. Sauer

14. Upchurch

15. Asselin

POSITION PLAYERS

1. Getz

2. Fields

3. Beckham

4. Allen

5. Jose Martinez

6. Shelby

7. Jordan Danks

8. Retherford

9. Miranda

10. Cook

11. Escobar

12. Jorge Castillo

13. Morel

14. Kuhn

15. Gerst

16. Kendall

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Problem with these lists is that it really depends on your idea of balance, between ceiling/future value and how close they are to contributing. That's where you get some differences, where Getz for example might be 2nd or 3rd because he's ready.

Also, who falls under prospect? What about guys like Mike MacDougal or Ehren Wassermann, who are at AAA but have played major league ball? Or a guy like Brian Anderson? I assume those are not really prospects anymore, but that's a matter of opinion. I assume Broadway and Russell are still prospects, though.

But trying to combine the two, here is what I come up with for quick and dirty lists...

PITCHERS

1. Poreda

2. Broadway

3. Richard

4. Egbert

5. Cassel

6. Link

7. Harrell

8. Teixera

9. Shirek

10. D Carter

12. Hudson

13. Sauer

14. Upchurch

15. Asselin

POSITION PLAYERS

1. Getz

2. Fields

3. Beckham

4. Allen

5. Jose Martinez

6. Shelby

7. Jordan Danks

8. Retherford

9. Miranda

10. Cook

11. Escobar

12. Jorge Castillo

13. Morel

14. Kuhn

15. Gerst

16. Kendall

The way I look at it, and maybe it's different from BA, is which player/s have the best chance to become starters/major contributors for an "average" major league ballclub. So it's basically more about future impact projection than about which one is closest to the major leagues.

Going by that standard, it's hard to say that we really have any surefire (where there's a very solid consensus) prospects after Beckham and Poreda. Of course, lots of things can change...and Fields isn't eligible because he has exceeded the rookie status of 130 at-bats or so. MacDougal was once a prospect, I don't think Wasserman, due to his limited potential as a reliever, was ever considered by most scouts to be anything more than a B level prospect. Usually the Top 10 lists might have a reliever or two, but they're "closers" or "future closers" about 95% of the time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
What's the story with Carter? What's his arsenal? Does he project as a starter or reliever? Obviously, I can look at his stats and peripherals and be impressed (as with many stats in Rookie League or DSL/Venezuela), but who has "eyeballed" him in person?

Why was he drafted relatively low? Signability issues?

I always look at players drafted outside of the first five rounds with a bit more skepticism, but there are tons of examples like Buehrle and Piazza who weren't high drafts or who weren't noticed by most teams (Pujols).

Carter was drafted so "low" because his numbers last year in college were awful. He has an electric arm but had little control at ODU. His fastball can reach 97 but I've heard little about his secondary stuff. But just looking at his stats in Great Falls, it seems like the Voyagers coaches made some really good adjustments and his control has been very solid. His progression obviously depends on how well he develops a changeup, but you have to be optimistic about his future.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Carter was drafted so "low" because his numbers last year in college were awful. He has an electric arm but had little control at ODU. His fastball can reach 97 but I've heard little about his secondary stuff. But just looking at his stats in Great Falls, it seems like the Voyagers coaches made some really good adjustments and his control has been very solid. His progression obviously depends on how well he develops a changeup, but you have to be optimistic about his future.

Yeah it's tough to find anything about his secondary stuff, this is about all I could find:

He has a quick, extremely live arm with a 91-93 mph fastball that will reach 96 and a sharp breaking ball that can be a put-away pitch when it’s on, but he only flashes his above-average stuff and his command is often non-existent.