Third Base Options for 2009

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
Kind of the same thing we did with Crede (Herb Perry in 2000/01)...although Crede had more of a track record (at least two All-Star teams and maybe a league MVP) in the minors than Fields. Of course, as a college player, Josh was expected to be closer than a HS player, but Josh's time as QB at OSU took time away from his baseball development.

I don't think we need to sign someone for two years though...I would rather go on a year-by-year basis at the position until things are clarified.

If the Sox are actually trying to compete next season, they need a veteran to back up Fields. And good luck getting a starter-quality veteran to sign a one-year deal. When Crede wasn't hitting early on in his career, he was at least contributing by playing solid defense. Josh wasn't contributing anything of value this season. That doesn't mean that you give up on the guy, but he has to show that he can hit ML pitching again before Kenny tosses him the keys to 3B. If Kenny can't land somebody like Beltre or Blake this winter, I want him to re-sign Uribe to a two-year deal to pseudo-platoon with Fields at 3B and relieve whoever is at SS and 2B next season (in sort of a super-utility role).

And I disagree that Anderson was mistreated. BA had his head way up his ass in 2006 and got himself into Ozzie's doghouse. Ozzie doesn't put up with big-ego rookies, nor should he be expected to. He's since matured and is doing the things that he should've been doing all along. Despite the fact that he's still not really hitting, he's still getting significant playing time in CF.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
If the Sox are actually trying to compete next season, they need a veteran to back up Fields. And good luck getting a starter-quality veteran to sign a one-year deal. When Crede wasn't hitting early on in his career, he was at least contributing by playing solid defense. Josh wasn't contributing anything of value this season. That doesn't mean that you give up on the guy, but he has to show that he can hit ML pitching again before Kenny tosses him the keys to 3B. If Kenny can't land somebody like Beltre or Blake this winter, I want him to re-sign Uribe to a two-year deal to pseudo-platoon with Fields at 3B and relieve whoever is at SS and 2B next season (in sort of a super-utility role).

And I disagree that Anderson was mistreated. BA had his head way up his ass in 2006 and got himself into Ozzie's doghouse. Ozzie doesn't put up with big-ego rookies, nor should he be expected to. He's since matured and is doing the things that he should've been doing all along. Despite the fact that he's still not really hitting, he's still getting significant playing time in CF.

From what I understand, the M's and their new GM have decided that they really like Beltre after all, and with their overall budget being a high one, despite the drop in attendance (of course, Ichiro keeps it elevated too), they feel that both his age, his contract becoming more and more reasonable, his defense and dependability...all make Beltre a player they're less likely to shed than it has seemingly appeared. In other words, they will give him up, but they're not actively trying to do so anymore, like they are with Batista, Silva, Washburn and perhaps even Bedard.

Hey everyone, new poster here, but I've been lurking since 2007.

Anyway, if the Sox can get Ty Wigginton, that'd be great. I think Ty Wigginton is exactly the type of flexible player the White Sox needs. He'd be our version of Mark DeRosa.

I know he's not a free agent until 2009, but if Kenny can swing some sort of trade or just sign him as a free agent after the 2009 season, then that'd be awesome.

Ty Wigginton can play multiple positions: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Left field, and I believe his regular position is 3rd base. I've also had him on my fantasy baseball teams since 2006, and I'd be stoked if the Sox can get him.

In fact, in the past month alone, Ty Wigginton had 23 hits in 69 at-bats, scored 13 runs, 6 homers, 16 rbi's and had .333 average.

Getting someone like Wigginton would give the Sox the extreme flexibility they would need, and it would be nice if the Sox can either sign Uribe as a super-utility guy for shortstop, 2nd, and 3rd, or just let Fields play 3rd while Wigginton plays other positions to give other guys a day off.

I think the Sox specifically target Figgins and make their best run at him.

Beltre will get serious consideration, but he might be dealt elsewhere. I think he'll be the Sox #2 option.

My pick for 2009: Chad Tracy. I think KW swings yet another deal with his favorite trading partner and Fields is then traded in a different deal, maybe for Roberts?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
I think the Sox specifically target Figgins and make their best run at him.

Beltre will get serious consideration, but he might be dealt elsewhere. I think he'll be the Sox #2 option.

My pick for 2009: Chad Tracy. I think KW swings yet another deal with his favorite trading partner and Fields is then traded in a different deal, maybe for Roberts?

Yea, I would love it if the Sox got Chone Figgins, too.

Also, as for Chad Tracy, funny thing is that I just added him to one of my fantasy baseball teams after Mike Lowell went on the DL. lmao.

My ideal (and somewhat realistic, IMO) situation would be for the Sox to acquire Figgins (not quite sure for what yet though), and make him the leadoff hitter. I'd have a platoon of Fields and Getz, so when Getz plays, Figgins would be at 3B, and when Fields plays, Figgins at 2B. I'd also have Figgins periodically play CF, giving one of either Swisher or Konerko (shift Swisher to 1B) a day off. Lineup:

1. Figgins, 2B/3B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, LF

4. Thome, DH

5. Dye, RF

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Swisher, CF

9. Fields/Getz, 3B/2B

I'd put Thome in front of Dye to spread out the righties a bit more, and to provide some more OBP in front of Dye and Konerko (assuming PK comes back to life and is not just fooling us right now). Thoughts on this lineup?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
My ideal (and somewhat realistic, IMO) situation would be for the Sox to acquire Figgins (not quite sure for what yet though), and make him the leadoff hitter.

Isn't Figgins only under team control for one more season? That would knock his trade value down to a pretty manageable level. If he would agree to go to LA, I'd love to see Kenny deal Thome and cash for Figgins. That would allow Paulie to move to DH and give us a legitimate leadoff hitter. That said, I don't see JT agreeing, so it's probably a pipe dream.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Isn't Figgins only under team control for one more season? That would knock his trade value down to a pretty manageable level. If he would agree to go to LA, I'd love to see Kenny deal Thome and cash for Figgins. That would allow Paulie to move to DH and give us a legitimate leadoff hitter. That said, I don't see JT agreeing, so it's probably a pipe dream.

why on earth would you move Thome?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:54 PM)
why on earth would you move Thome?

Why on Earth would you rather have a $13 million 38.5-year-old injury-prone DH instead of a solid leadoff hitter who can hit for average, steal 40 bases a season, and play 3B (among several other positions). Jesus, we already have Dye, Quentin and Konerko in the middle of the lineup. Do we really need another slugger? And you DO realize that we're going to need a third basemen next season, right? And that we're talking about actual Major League Baseball here, where defense and manufacturing runs matters? This isn't a fantasy team.

I'm happy as hell that Thome's still productive and healthy. All the more reason to deal him in the off-season, when he'll still have trade value. Look at how Frank's numbers have fallen off the table over the past couple of years. Do you want Thome having a Frank-like season next year and sucking up $13 million of our payroll? Call me crazy, but I'd rather go with the player in the prime of his career who addresses not one, but TWO of this team's needs.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
Hey everyone, new poster here, but I've been lurking since 2007.

Anyway, if the Sox can get Ty Wigginton, that'd be great. I think Ty Wigginton is exactly the type of flexible player the White Sox needs. He'd be our version of Mark DeRosa.

I know he's not a free agent until 2009, but if Kenny can swing some sort of trade or just sign him as a free agent after the 2009 season, then that'd be awesome.

Ty Wigginton can play multiple positions: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Left field, and I believe his regular position is 3rd base. I've also had him on my fantasy baseball teams since 2006, and I'd be stoked if the Sox can get him.

In fact, in the past month alone, Ty Wigginton had 23 hits in 69 at-bats, scored 13 runs, 6 homers, 16 rbi's and had .333 average.

Getting someone like Wigginton would give the Sox the extreme flexibility they would need, and it would be nice if the Sox can either sign Uribe as a super-utility guy for shortstop, 2nd, and 3rd, or just let Fields play 3rd while Wigginton plays other positions to give other guys a day off.

Wigginton would be something of a Herbert "Milkman" Perry-esque "bridge" player to whoever ends up being the long-term solution at 3rd base for the Sox, whether it's Fields, Beckham, a FA with a long-term deal, etc.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
Why on Earth would you rather have a $13 million 38.5-year-old injury-prone DH instead of a solid leadoff hitter who can hit for average, steal 40 bases a season, and play 3B (among several other positions). Jesus, we already have Dye, Quentin and Konerko in the middle of the lineup. Do we really need another slugger? And you DO realize that we're going to need a third basemen next season, right? And that we're talking about actual Major League Baseball here, where defense and manufacturing runs matters? This isn't a fantasy team.

I'm happy as hell that Thome's still productive and healthy. All the more reason to deal him in the off-season, when he'll still have trade value. Look at how Frank's numbers have fallen off the table over the past couple of years. Do you want Thome having a Frank-like season next year and sucking up $13 million of our payroll? Call me crazy, but I'd rather go with the player in the prime of his career who addresses not one, but TWO of this team's needs.

Agreed...it doesn't make sense to pay $13 million to a DH. When we were receiving that $22 something million subsidy from the Phillies, it was much more manageable from an economics standpoint.

It's simply more logical to put millions of dollars into improving the overall team speed and defense, pitching (relief and 5th starter) and up-the-middle position players than spending money on DH's, corner infielders and corner outfielders.

It's the "Hatteberg/Youkilis" theory. It's a lot easier to buy comparable production at "discount" prices at DH/1B than it is to find true difference makers (offensively or defensively) at SS, 2B, C and CF.

With Dye, Quentin and Konerko, we have enough power in the middle of the order. Of course, the big assumption there is that Konerko is 100% coming into next year's campaign.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
Agreed...it doesn't make sense to pay $13 million to a DH. When we were receiving that $22 something million subsidy from the Phillies, it was much more manageable from an economics standpoint.

I've heard that there was a gentlemen's agreement between Gillick and Kenny where the Phillies would pay half of Thome's option if the Sox picked it up. I can't confirm that's true, though.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Thome would be a great fit on a number of teams, but he's a "more of the same" type of guy on the Sox. We desperately need a legitimate leadoff hitter with some base-stealing capability. I'd trade a year of Thome for a year of somebody like Figgins (or Carl Crawford or Curtis Granderson) in a second. And considering that Figgins can play 3B and all three OF positions, that's makes him even more useful.